ADVERTISEMENT

The Fed is winning its war on inflation — and it means America could avoid a painful recession

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
If the economy isn't in recession in November of 2024....what chance does the GOP have?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fed-winning-war-inflation-mdash-162452217.html
The Fed is winning its war on inflation — and it means America could avoid a painful recession
Ayelet Sheffey,Madison Hoff
Wed, April 12, 2023 at 12:24 PM EDT·4 min read

6156fd8e2cd8a5a53241c5adff4b8336

• The Consumer Price Index, which measures inflation, plunged to 5.0% year-over-year in March.
  • It's a slowdown from the February's 6.0% reading, and it shows the Fed's war on inflation is working.
  • While there's still uncertainty from SVB's collapse, Americans can likely avoid a recession in 2023.
Things are looking pretty good for the nation's central bank — and Americans' wallets.

On Wednesday, a new report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics found inflation fell by a whole percentage point based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI). CPI, one measure of inflation, plunged from a year-over-year change of 6.0% in February to a year-over-year change of 5.0% in March. That 5.0% inflation rate is the lowest since May 2021.

This is great news for the Federal Reserve, as it continues its work to get the country back to its target 2% inflation level. While the US still has a long way to go in reaching that goal, the latest economic data shows that the Fed's continued interest rate hikes — most recently a 25 basis point increase in March — are working.

The PCE price index is another measure of inflation that the Fed closely watches. That has offered promising signs as well. This index saw a cooler month-over-month change in February compared to January, and year-over-year changes also show for the most part this inflation measure has been falling.

The Fed has also been looking for signs of labor market tightening, and it may be seeing those as well. The US added 236,000 jobs in March, which is a smaller gain than the months prior, and that slowdown to a still-strong but not overheated job market is what the central bank has been seeking.

"Even if it's moderating or slowing down, the labor market's still moving at a brisk pace," Nick Bunker, economic research director for North America at Indeed Hiring Lab, told Insider.

They have to get inflation under control but there is no avoiding a recession. The first quarter of it probably starts in Q3's GDP numbers but it could be Q2 or Q4 also. Q4 for the start would be best for Reps.

Even without a recession, I like the GOP's chances of holding the House, I'd put the odds at 80%.

The Dems will have a challenge to maintain control of the Senate, with those who were elected in 2018 during the phony Trump Russiagate frenzy will be facing re-election, including Democrats in Montana and a few other red states. I'll put the odds of a GOP takeover of the Senate at about 60%.

The election for POTUS is going to be really interesting. Out of the states that narrowly went to Biden in 2020, only GA managed any sort of meaningful election reform. If unsolicited mail-in balloting and ballot harvesting are still in play in 2024, it will be difficult for the GOP candidate to win those particular states unless the GOP gets in the mud and plays the same game. Frankly I could make a case for this going either way.

Even without a recession, I like the GOP's chances of holding the House, I'd put the odds at 80%.

Are you factoring in the possibility of new maps in Wisconsin, N Carolina, and Florida?

The Dems will have a challenge to maintain control of the Senate, with those who were elected in 2018 during the phony Trump Russiagate frenzy will be facing re-election, including Democrats in Montana and a few other red states. I'll put the odds of a GOP takeover of the Senate at about 60%.

Montana? The GOP has somebody to run against Tester?

The democrats have the power of incumbency in their favor.
Tester, Casey, Baldwin, and Brown are all running again

The election for POTUS is going to be really interesting. Out of the states that narrowly went to Biden in 2020, only GA managed any sort of meaningful election reform. If unsolicited mail-in balloting and ballot harvesting are still in play in 2024, it will be difficult for the GOP candidate to win those particular states unless the GOP gets in the mud and plays the same game. Frankly I could make a case for this going either way.

Election denier mumbo jumbo didn't save the GOP in 2020 and it won't save them in 2024 either

The GOP is on the wrong side of the 2 biggest issues in American politics...Abortion & gun control
If they don't moderate their message on those two issues they have no chance

Throw in an indicted trump as nominee? 🤣

Are you factoring in the possibility of new maps in Wisconsin, N Carolina, and Florida?

Montana? The GOP has somebody to run against Tester?

The democrats have the power of incumbency in their favor.
Tester, Casey, Baldwin, and Brown are all running again

Election denier mumbo jumbo didn't save the GOP in 2020 and it won't save them in 2024 either

The GOP is on the wrong side of the 2 biggest issues in American politics...Abortion & gun control
If they don't moderate their message on those two issues they have no chance

Throw in an indicted trump as nominee? 🤣
Ok….. we’ll have the election and let the chips fall where they may.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT