ADVERTISEMENT

Ok you turkeys...let’s talk “Turkey”...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
So, sadgator is tasked with cooking the bird this year...

and no, sadgator ain’t gonna do the manly smoke or deep fry thing...(remember sadgator is a massive liberal)...

sadgator is going full on Martha Stewart-roast in the oven...stuffing...the whole drill...

there is a ton of competing/conflicting information out there on what exact internal temp the bird should be at when it comes out of the oven...sadgator’s will be approximately 15 pounds

what say you, sadgator’s conservative friends?

oh, and just a reminder...don’t talk politics at the table....your aunt doesn’t want to hear that the “praying medic” thinks that Trump is gonna win...just sayin’...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all...appreciate your input and tips...

We are buying our meal this year from Fresh Market and taking it to our mountain home. I would say 180 degrees internally. We used this recipe last year, and it was unbelievable. You definitely have to use some sort of roasting bag, with what ever you do. Good luck, and happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: blubo
165 F. Is generally the temperature when it’s done ..... you can go 180F, but make sure youre basting to keep it moist

Reactions: sadgator

and no, sadgator ain’t gonna do the manly smoke or deep fry thing...(remember sadgator is a massive liberal)...

sadgator is going full on Martha Stewart-roast in the oven...stuffing...the whole drill...

there is a ton of competing/conflicting information out there on what exact internal temp the bird should be at when it comes out of the oven...sadgator’s will be approximately 15 pounds

oh, and just a reminder...don’t talk politics at the table....your aunt doesn’t want to hear that the “praying medic” thinks that Trump is gonna win...just sayin’...

I cook my turkey slow and low over fire because I have a penis. But in doing so some of the rules are a little different on time and temp. I have a probe in the breast and keep track that way, I don't know if I believe that you can go with X number of hours per pound.

Basically the FDA says 165 because at that temp the most harmful bacteria die instantly. It's essentially the fool-proof way to make sure no one gets sick. It's also a good way to get a bird that's a little more moist and tender than Eddie's wife cooked in Vacation. (Basting is fine as it helps with the evaporation of water from the inside of the meat, but every time you open the oven door there's a recovery involved).

At about 140F the bacteria start to die off and it increases in speed as the temp rises. So I cook my bird to about 150-155F and let it rest for a good 30 minutes. I've never measured after the rest but typically you can expect a 5-10 degree increase in temp from a 30 minute rest. I've always turned out really solid, tender, moist turkey this way (I do the same for chicken).

One other tip - a few years ago we went to a farmer's market and got a real free range turkey (it had a name and everything). The difference between that happy, never-frozen hand-fed bird vs the butterball at the grocery store made more of a difference than anything I could have done. It was a amazing. It was also $115 for a 13lb bird. If you have time and really care I'd suggest trying to find a happy bird.

This is a great website for all things meat related. He says 160F.

More reading about Turkey cooking than you prolly want to do...

I say take off the dress and deep fry the bird.

Reactions: sadgator
I say take off the dress and deep fry the bird.

We used to deep fry every year until my neighbor introduced me to Heberts Specialty meats in Houston. They do a boneless stuffed turkey with rice and crawfish dressing that is to die for(they offer several different options including gator 😉)

We throw that bad boy on the green egg and yowza is it good

I filled up on deer, ham and broccoli casserole. Eff the turkey. Left that stuff for the people that think thats what they are supposed to eat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT