ADVERTISEMENT

Obama's good guy rebels at work in Syria!

C

Chris Clark

Ask Chris - Wednesday, November 30

Any football/team recruiting questions anyone has today, I'll be glad to answer them. Just reply to this thread and ask away.

Have a great day!

Re: Ask Chris - Wednesday, November 30

The state goofs are reporting Marshall has dropped someone on this list? down to 4! Who was it? Thanks,

Notre Dame...

Originally posted by COCKYSIGNS:
The state goofs are reporting Marshall has dropped someone on this list? down to 4! Who was it? Thanks,

His coach says Notre Dame.

Didn't we have 6 4star committed? If so what happen to the other one.

Chris,

It seems that Scott Hood is well connected when it comes to facilities and projects and what goes on with the BOT meetings.

It is to my understanding that the Farmers Market project was set to begin construction right after the season.

Any way we could get a project update or timeline of events to include the Farmers Market, videoboard construction, and removal of concrete/asphalt around the stadium?

Thanks for all ya'll do.

Chris, as it relates to the thread about Rainey being downgraded from 4-star to 3-star, you stated, and I'm paraphrasing, wait until the rest of the rankings come out before we fully assess the changes. What date are the remainder of the changes expected to be released by Rivals? Thanks in advance.

Chris, two questions...

1. Hypothetically speaking, if Ellington were to focus solely on hoops next year, who would you guess as taking over the "Wildcat" duties? I realize that is not something that would even be discussed or practiced until Spring ball, but just a thought. I was wondering if Martay Mattox might get a shot, considering he did play a lot of QB in high school.

2. Can you give an update on where Gerald Dixon, Marcquis Roberts, and Deon Green stand on rehabbing/recovering from their injuries?

Thanks

Why isn't USC pushing hard for Patterson, the JUCO WR that played at Northwestern? I have seen Patterson and Fuller from Sun Valley play and it isn't even close. Fuller is slow and Patterson is electric. Patterson has the talent to be a 1st round WR and USC isn't even trying to land him. Going to be a huge miss when he turns into a star somewhere else.

Rainey...

Originally posted by chuck7156:
Didn't we have 6 4star committed? If so what happen to the other one.

Rainey dropped down right below four-star status to a 5.7. Not much difference between a 5.7 and 5.8 (which is the first level of four-star).

Rankings...

Originally posted by bullstuff:
Chris, as it relates to the thread about Rainey being downgraded from 4-star to 3-star, you stated, and I'm paraphrasing, wait until the rest of the rankings come out before we fully assess the changes. What date are the remainder of the changes expected to be released by Rivals? Thanks in advance.

They should start rolling out anytime within the next few days. They always start coming out after the release of the Rivals100, Rivals250 which the 250 was yesterday. So anytime now.

Timeline for farmers market...

Originally posted by shawnaber:
Chris,

It seems that Scott Hood is well connected when it comes to facilities and projects and what goes on with the BOT meetings.

It is to my understanding that the Farmers Market project was set to begin construction right after the season.

Any way we could get a project update or timeline of events to include the Farmers Market, videoboard construction, and removal of concrete/asphalt around the stadium?

Thanks for all ya'll do.

You're correct in that it was set to begin after the final home game. The video board was given approval earlier this month, so they can begin building it but I haven't heard exactly when yet. If we hear an update on that we will let everyone know. It could be ready in time for some of the 2012 season, but definitely not at the beginning of the season.

As for the parking, it is going to be moved (most of it anyways) in time for the 2012 season to the Farmers Market. We don't have exact timeframes on that either.

Answers...

Originally posted by QC Cock:
Chris, two questions...

1. Hypothetically speaking, if Ellington were to focus solely on hoops next year, who would you guess as taking over the "Wildcat" duties? I realize that is not something that would even be discussed or practiced until Spring ball, but just a thought. I was wondering if Martay Mattox might get a shot, considering he did play a lot of QB in high school.

2. Can you give an update on where Gerald Dixon, Marcquis Roberts, and Deon Green stand on rehabbing/recovering from their injuries?

Thanks

1) Under that hypothetical scenario, I'm not sure yet. They could utilize Lattimore at Wildcat if needed. Other than that I'm not sure. I think there's a good chance Ellington plays football again, though.

2) Haven't heard on Dixon and Roberts. I know Green had another surgery relatively recently, so he's still recovering. I'll know more on how they're coming along in the winter/spring.

Patterson...

Originally posted by do_you_tell:
Why isn't USC pushing hard for Patterson, the JUCO WR that played at Northwestern? I have seen Patterson and Fuller from Sun Valley play and it isn't even close. Fuller is slow and Patterson is electric. Patterson has the talent to be a 1st round WR and USC isn't even trying to land him. Going to be a huge miss when he turns into a star somewhere else.

They tried to get him to visit earlier in the process and he didn't make it in. USC focused more on HS guys rather than JUCOs (see Patterson, also Javon Bell).

I wouldn't say Fuller is slow at all. He's not a burner, but certainly not slow.

Not sure where Patterson is going to end up. He does have a lot of natural talent, but I haven't heard anything on him in a while because I haven't been tracking him. USC is essentially full at WR.

If Rainey goes to Arkansas,do we take Davis ?

Davis...

Originally posted by OPERA:
If Rainey goes to Arkansas,do we take Davis ?

Not sure. Good question :). I'm honestly not sure how that would play out. Rainey isn't a WR, but it could be something the staff took a harder look at.

What is the story with Quinshad Davis? it does not appear that Clemson or we are pushing for him, and that just seems odd with him being the Preseason #4 player in SC and a 4* recruit. Is this a qualification or character issue. Another rivals website is reporting that Tennessee has offered him. I was just curious why he seems to not be a take for the in-state programs.

Chris since we are getting close to finals at school, do you expect to see any academic issues arising before the bowl game?

Will Kenny Davis figure in the OL rotation next year? If not, is it lack of talent or something else?

Our committed players taking visits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chris just a question about why it seems so many of our committed players continue to take visits, obviously they aren't 100% sold yet which is fine, and they have to do what they have to do. And yes I know we haven't lost many in the past that have taken visits after they commit.

My question is do we regulary host prospects that are verbally committed to other teams? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems our committed prospects visiting other programs out weigh prospects we bring in that are committed to other programs by a lot.

Does our coaching staff have a policy that they not continue recruiting commits that are seemingly committed to other programs? Other programs don't seem to back away from recruiting ours.

Davis...

Originally posted by vidaliagamecock:
What is the story with Quinshad Davis? it does not appear that Clemson or we are pushing for him, and that just seems odd with him being the Preseason #4 player in SC and a 4* recruit. Is this a qualification or character issue. Another rivals website is reporting that Tennessee has offered him. I was just curious why he seems to not be a take for the in-state programs.

It's neither qualification or character. It's just that Clemson took a smaller WR class (they have one right now) and USC has three and their numbers are full as well. The fact that he wanted to wait longer to make his decision unfortunately hurt him.

Davis...

Originally posted by paracock:
Will Kenny Davis figure in the OL rotation next year? If not, is it lack of talent or something else?

I doubt it. This year was his first season working on the OL in practice and he didn't see game action there. He's not as good as the ones ahead of him there.

Academics...

Originally posted by trucheck:
Chris since we are getting close to finals at school, do you expect to see any academic issues arising before the bowl game?

Not that I'm aware of but we'll know for sure later.

Re: Our committed players taking visits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Originally posted by umdterpcock:
Chris just a question about why it seems so many of our committed players continue to take visits, obviously they aren't 100% sold yet which is fine, and they have to do what they have to do. And yes I know we haven't lost many in the past that have taken visits after they commit.

My question is do we regulary host prospects that are verbally committed to other teams? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems our committed prospects visiting other programs out weigh prospects we bring in that are committed to other programs by a lot.

Does our coaching staff have a policy that they not continue recruiting commits that are seemingly committed to other programs? Other programs don't seem to back away from recruiting ours.

USC recruits prospects that are committed to other programs unless the prospect makes it clear they don't want to be recruited by other programs (other than the one they are committed to). Sometimes other prospects express a desire to visit and they don't host them, sometimes they do. This particular cycle, there's been two prospects (K. Smith and K. Rainey) who have taken other visits so far. Off the top of my head, USC hosted Tramel Terry for camp when he was committed to Georgia still (he's not any longer). It's not a concern to USC in terms of the ratio or what have you.

Chris, I know you really don't do "predictions", but if you had a guess who do you think would be the starting 5 up front next year?

Front five...

Originally posted by blair6191:
Chris, I know you really don't do "predictions", but if you had a guess who do you think would be the starting 5 up front next year?

I think it depends on who steps up at tackle and also at RG. Matulis played well at RT this season, but he could play left as well. Shell could play either. Gibson is more of a RT. It could also change during the season. Then there will be a battle at RG. I think we could see some different combos during the spring/preseason.

But maybe something like Matulis or Shell at LT, Cann at LG, Johnson at C, Patrick at RG (Or someone like Kyle Harris), Shell or Gibson at RT (or Matulis, for that matter).

Judging from your possible 2012 OL, is Cann a given at center?

Cann at center...

Originally posted by redrogers:
Judging from your possible 2012 OL, is Cann a given at center?

Could be, but I think Kyle Harris could get a look there too. He's got the tools for it and he got some backup work there in practice during the fall.

Chris,

Did Spurrier use a in home visit with Marshall?

Chris, how does the recruitment for Bullard take shape now??? It seems like were kinda in third. Are we still recruiting him hard, trying for in homes?? Are we pushing or since we kind of slid are we holding back?? I was just wondering how that plays out for a guy that we once led for.. Do our coaches think we can come from behind???

Marshall...

Originally posted by westmarinenmb:
Chris,

Did Spurrier use a in home visit with Marshall?

Not yet. It's later in the week.

Bullard...

Originally posted by scholtz#:
Chris, how does the recruitment for Bullard take shape now??? It seems like were kinda in third. Are we still recruiting him hard, trying for in homes?? Are we pushing or since we kind of slid are we holding back?? I was just wondering how that plays out for a guy that we once led for.. Do our coaches think we can come from behind???

It's not over yet and the staff is still recruiting him. I haven't heard the in-home schedule for Bullard yet. I just don't think USC is as strong as they were at one time based on what I've been hearing lately. It's a recruitment I'm going to keep tracking.

Re: Bullard...

Chris, a follow up to previous questions about the OL. It seemed like as the season went on, the OL began to play better. Do we (fans) have a good reason to be confident that the OL will be much improved next year? I know we are losing Watkins and Campbell but the unit seemed to gel as the season grew.

OL...

Originally posted by kickinchicken04:
Chris, a follow up to previous questions about the OL. It seemed like as the season went on, the OL began to play better. Do we (fans) have a good reason to be confident that the OL will be much improved next year? I know we are losing Watkins and Campbell but the unit seemed to gel as the season grew.

Towards of the end of the year, I agree they played better. There were some rougher spots mid-season. For the amount of depth they had, guys playing out of position, guys playing as freshmen, I think it was a pretty good result to be honest looking at the big picture particularly towards the end of the year.

Next season, losing Watkins is a blow. Even though he was playing out of position, he was the best pure lineman on the roster. Campbell is a sixth-year senior and did great with leadership this season. You lose Nunn - didn't have him for half the season but still, won't be back.

The good news is Mike Matulis played very well for a freshman at the end of the season. He's got a bright future. Whether he plays LT or RT, the experience he's gained is invaluable. Shell will be stronger and should be in the mix coming off a redshirt. Gibson also got more experience this season. Cann and Johnson return on the interior and should be solid. Then at RG, there are some options whether it's Ronald Patrick who played pretty well in relief this season when given opportunities or a guy like Kyle Harris who could step up.

Re: OL...

Originally posted by Chris Clark:

Towards of the end of the year, I agree they played better. There were some rougher spots mid-season. For the amount of depth they had, guys playing out of position, guys playing as freshmen, I think it was a pretty good result to be honest looking at the big picture particularly towards the end of the year.

Next season, losing Watkins is a blow. Even though he was playing out of position, he was the best pure lineman on the roster. Campbell is a sixth-year senior and did great with leadership this season. You lose Nunn - didn't have him for half the season but still, won't be back.

The good news is Mike Matulis played very well for a freshman at the end of the season. He's got a bright future. Whether he plays LT or RT, the experience he's gained is invaluable. Shell will be stronger and should be in the mix coming off a redshirt. Gibson also got more experience this season. Cann and Johnson return on the interior and should be solid. Then at RG, there are some options whether it's Ronald Patrick who played pretty well in relief this season when given opportunities or a guy like Kyle Harris who could step up.

Follow up. So to wrap up, we should see at the least a little more quality depth next year? I understand that there is certainly some work to be done, however we should see some improvement next year? Also, with Shaw's confidence growing and the team's confidence growing in him, that should make a difference as well, correct?

rumor on the other site is Alshon wont be eligible for the bowl due to grades and missed classes...have u heard this?

Re: OL...

Originally posted by Chris Clark:

Follow up. So to wrap up, we should see at the least a little more quality depth next year? I understand that there is certainly some work to be done, however we should see some improvement next year? Also, with Shaw's confidence growing and the team's confidence growing in him, that should make a difference as well, correct?

Tough question to answer. Numbers-wise, they will be in much better shape as far as guys who could potentially contribute. Talent-wise they will be upgraded, but there's still a lot of inexperience. Lots of sophomores and redshirt or true freshmen on the roster, and those may be their best guys. I think some of them will take some lumps but it will pay off down the road. It's just tough to tell how it will shake out. Once I can see some in the spring and hear some in the spring, I may know more about what to expect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT