ADVERTISEMENT

Football Napier

kcflagator

Chomp Artist
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
We all know that Napier needs to show improvement this year. How you quantify that, I don’t know.

In my opinion, at a bare minimum, the vast majority of Gator Nation needs to feel like we are a significantly improved team this year over the past two years. Again, I don’t know how you quantify that.

I also want you to remember this: when Napier was negotiating his contract with Stricklin the #1 item on Billy‘s list was UF’s commitment to him. And I’m not talking about salary.

There were two things that were most important to Napier, absent which, he was not coming here:

1. He wanted time. He knew the turnaround process was going to take a while. And, frankly, that was a tough topic for UF because we had just come off of 3 consecutive head football coach firings - all of which had short tenures. Napier was not coming here unless we committed to give him more time than the prior UF coaches. It was clear to all the coaches available that year that UF was a complete sh*t show. Napier demanded patience and time and was given it in his Contract.

2. Napier demanded a financial commitment to his assistant coaches and army. He felt Florida was vastly understaffed and as result did not perform well from a recruiting standpoint. He thought we were way behind and needed considerable resources and time to get back up to speed. So that was another huge part of his contract. Money for his staff. Under the prior UF coaching staffs, we routinely forgot about recruits, did not keep constant contact, and frankly, were incredibly lazy. BN’s contract gave him the resources to change that.

Having said that, I don’t know how he survives three losing seasons. But he may. Again, if at the end of the season it’s clear to the vast majority of Gator Nation that we are a much better football team than in the past years and trending in the right direction, I can absolutely see a scenario where he is given more time, even if the record does not justify it - especially with this beastly schedule in front of us.

I truly hope Napier makes it and I’m rooting for him 100%. He’s such a good guy. However, if it does not go that way, I am convinced Florida will land an unbelievable coach to succeed Napier. All the pieces are in place right now in terms of football facilities and the conference realignment.

Plus, Gator Nation is amazing. I spoke with another SEC head football coach a few weeks ago and he told me that it was unbelievable to him how we packed the Swamp over the last two years with losing records. He says Florida is just different than everyone else in that regard. Gator Nation is a huge draw - we should never forget that.

I can’t wait to see how the season plays out. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys in the fall.

KC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News