ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou Game Thoughts

oozie7

Bull Gator
May 28, 2008
Positives:
1) Defense: they pretty much stifled a QB and an offense that had been hot all year. And even scored 14. Holding Locke to less than 10 completions is insane. Our DB's finally stopped talking and played.
2) Oline: LDR had a clean pocket all night and they also paved the way for a big night on the ground, they were really, really good tonight and held Harris in check on the pass rush.
3) Scarlett & Perine: There's our duo! Two dynamic runners, they should each get 15 carries/game
4) #1 in the SEC East!

Negatives:
1) LDR: Picked off 3 times, should have been more. 47% completion as of the 6 minute mark. As he's not really a guy who can carry an offense, he needs t be efficient and smart and he was anything but. He'll hurt us against better defenses, just a poor athlete and a mediocre arm.
2) Penalties: We're always heavily penalized but our penalties are dumb, not the aggressive kind. Multiple false starts by receivers...WTF???

Reactions: seffnergator
Everything suck boo hoo.

Can't enjoy the defense because they're all going to leave.

We aren't good.

Nuss.

Mac.
Claribel

Game managers.

Thank god we pulled out a tight game!

Nuss needs to get his butt up in the box and see if he can save his job.

Del Rio is limited as hell with a weak arm and would have had 5 or 6 interceptions against a decent defense probably.

Why cant we run the ball worth a damn until a defense is gassed. Same thing was going on against the N Texas level teams earlier in the season. LSU ran all over this crap defense right from the get go.

That has to be the worst 40 point 500 plus yard performance I have ever seen. Well the rushing yards got jacked up once Missouri was gassed later in the game with their offense doing nothing most of the game.

And oh shit I forgot Cleveland. Had been begging for them to play him at #2 so we could have two big outside weapons and he came through. That should take a lot of pressure off Callaway.

Reactions: seffnergator
Our offense actually moves the ball and gets yards. We had 250 yards of offense at the half but just 6 offensive points. Too many penalties, TOs and need to he better in the red zone.

Cleveland getting more and more PT is going to help the offense as he improves.

Obviosly LDR didn't have a good night, he was late on a lot of his throws...our penalties were out of control...outside of that running game, special teams and our defense were really good. WE WON EASILY...I'LL TAKE IT!

Our offense actually moves the ball and gets yards. We had 250 yards of offense at the half but just 6 offensive points. Too many penalties, TOs and need to he better in the red zone.

Part of it is that we try to overpower teams once down there and we really don't have the line to do it. The other part is that LDR doesn't have the arm to squeeze it into those tight windows down there. So we rely on a lot of perimeter plays but there's not a lot of field so we get squeezed.

But all 3 were late additions. Two from the first class with limited time.

We got a late commitment from Cleveland but should have got Sam Bruce. :p

Just messing with ya. You and I agree skill recruiting has been really good, which has surprised me since I expected that area to be the toughest pull. Its the lines where we need to do a lot better.

Reactions: GatorNation79
The oline deserves some props. The false starts were annoying but other than that they played a really clean game. I'm gonna say Jordan being back had a lot to do with it. Kinda why I've been wanting him to replace Dillard at C, I think we could be set at 4/5 positions with that move.

Just messing with ya. You and I agree skill recruiting has been really good, which has surprised me since I expected that area to be the toughest pull. Its the lines where we need to do a lot better.
Hopefully we get the beef up front...Hopefully

So far not looking too bad at DT. Hope they have some targets on OL that will sign up.

Part of it is that we try to overpower teams once down there and we really don't have the line to do it. The other part is that LDR doesn't have the arm to squeeze it into those tight windows down there. So we rely on a lot of perimeter plays but there's not a lot of field so we get squeezed.
Agreed.

We'll see how LDR bounces back, he's been fairly solid before, I expect him to play much better in the future.

He showed the same tendencies against N Texas they just didn't make him pay for it. If he plays this way against LSU and Arkansas on the road he will get killed even worse.

Like the HBC said after the game, LDR was off ...willing to write off a lot of that as from being first game back, we shall see.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
But all 3 were late additions. Two from the first class with limited time.

We got a late commitment from Cleveland but should have got Sam Bruce. :p

Funny because not one person complained about any of those 3. I think most liked Calloway and Cleveland. And if you wanted to be honest with yourself, oozie and I whom you directed this at were probably the two BIGGEST Scarlett supporters. Most people have been much more Thompson and Cronkrite fans and wanted to write Scarlett off. I also think most people have been very happy with skill recruiting. The biggest criticisms have come to OL and DL and QB to a degree

I just keep saying "well, our offense is better than it was".

This has got to be the weakest schedule we've played in a long time.

I'm still shaking my head over that TN game.

At least it wasn't hot yesterday so we didn't steam in our ponchos.

I just keep saying "well, our offense is better than it was".

This has got to be the weakest schedule we've played in a long time.

I'm still shaking my head over that TN game.

At least it wasn't hot yesterday so we didn't steam in our ponchos.

I was thinking that about the schedule too. I was thinking I would see how Mac fared against the big boys on our schedule. There just really aren't any.

I kinda feel bad for LDR. He's so limited physically that he almost has to have a perfect day to look decent. He has zero mobility, zero arm strength and at times questionable accuracy. He really has to be the ultimate game manager to be effective.

When his decision making is off he looks atrocious, but I don't foresee that being a common theme with him. I quess we'll know more in a couple weeks in Jax. I just wish this team could play a clean game against a decent opponent from start to finish like we did against that pansy Tucky and in the first half in Knoxville.

When they play mistake free football that actually look pretty damn good. ijs

Minus the false starts, the Oline wasn't too bad. Sharp actually played well against a really good pass rusher. LDR needs to step up his game big time. Positive side is we have some big time freshman playmakers.

They did move the ball better in the 2nd half besides the offensive line penalties. First day of practice this coming week the oline would be doing up-downs the whole day IMHO..

I was thinking that about the schedule too. I was thinking I would see how Mac fared against the big boys on our schedule. There just really aren't any.

At Arkansas, at LSU are tough games and the Cocktail Party will be tough. If we win 2 of three I would be very happy. Win all three, and I would be very, very impressed.

Everything suck boo hoo.

Can't enjoy the defense because they're all going to leave.

We aren't good.

Nuss.

Mac.
Claribel

Game managers.

Thank god we pulled out a tight game!

giphy.gif

Reactions: bradleygator

Red zone offense is significantly more difficult if you don't have a DT QB. Look at Wisconsin-OSU last night.

Someone is gonna have to keep me from punching Sharpe in the f***ing face

They reported on the telecast that Mac said something about they were trying something new with the snap communication. Not sure what it was, but it was confusing the OLs.

They reported on the telecast that Mac said something about they were trying something new with the snap communication. Not sure what it was, but it was confusing the OLs.
You could tell watching the game that it had something to do with the cadence. I'm sure they were doing it to help the ol have better get off
There were multiple times Sharpe moved before the snap that weren't called

Funny because not one person complained about any of those 3. I think most liked Calloway and Cleveland. And if you wanted to be honest with yourself, oozie and I whom you directed this at were probably the two BIGGEST Scarlett supporters. Most people have been much more Thompson and Cronkrite fans and wanted to write Scarlett off. I also think most people have been very happy with skill recruiting. The biggest criticisms have come to OL and DL and QB to a degree

How are we looking for the Ruiz kid from IMG?

Yes you have been hopeful and high on Scarlett for a while. Nobody I can remember has been down on him. Early before the season started I thought based on last year and spring that Cronkrite would be the favorite but not surprised the other Jordan is the better all around back. I've said from the beginning that Mark Thompson would be a Deshawn Wynn type back. Not a bust. Not a super star but serviceable and at times make a few plays. All Mc"s recruits. I think they are working hard on finding some OL. Franks may be duel threat enough that you may be happy. He seriously needed the RS year. It sounds like he is progressing so far. I agree with you that LDR isn't the long term answer. I hope we keep the current DT commitmens and add one more. I don't think the outlook is bland right now. Complete remodeling is still in the works.

How are we looking for the Ruiz kid from IMG?

Yes you have been hopeful and high on Scarlett for a while. Nobody I can remember has been down on him. Early before the season started I thought based on last year and spring that Cronkrite would be the favorite but not surprised the other Jordan is the better all around back. I've said from the beginning that Mark Thompson would be a Deshawn Wynn type back. Not a bust. Not a super star but serviceable and at times make a few plays. All Mc"s recruits. I think they are working hard on finding some OL. Franks may be duel threat enough that you may be happy. He seriously needed the RS year. It sounds like he is progressing so far. I agree with you that LDR isn't the long term answer. I hope we keep the current DT commitmens and add one more. I don't think the outlook is bland right now. Complete remodeling is still in the works.

Looks like Ruiz is headed to MeatChicken. And the one thing about OL is you can pull a lot of talented 3* that pan out. If I had one recruiting xomplaint about Mac it would be his inability to pull the top Fla kids. Right now in the composite rankings our top committ is #26 Zach Carter. That HAS to get better if we are ever going to be a NC contender again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT