ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly Barnhill National Player of the Year!!

Current Gator Player's of the Year:

Alex McMurty
-- Women's Gymnastics

Caeleb Dressel -- Men's Swimming

KeAndre Bates -- Men's Track & Field

Kelly Barnhill -- Women's Softball - 0.36 ERA
#1 - 2.74 Hits allowed per 7 innings.
#1 - 13.4 Strike-outs per 7 innings.
#3 - In Shut-Outs ~12~
#6 - Total Strike-Outs ~333~ (18 games with 10+ Strike-Outs)
* Struck-Out the side 48 times over 22 games this season.
* Has only allowed opponents to reach 3rd in 17 innings out of 173.2 innings pitched.
* She has 2 No-No's and 4 1-Hitters on the season.

* She has 14 wins with 9 Shut-Outs against Top 25 Teams.
Not too bad, considering that there are 3 other Gator pitchers with starts.
Kelly is also a CoSIDA Academic All-American.

So yep, she's more than earned it! :)
===========

And the Gator Baseball Team earned the #3 National Seed for the NCAA Tournament.

Current Gator Player's of the Year:

Alex McMurty
-- Women's Gymnastics

Caeleb Dressel -- Men's Swimming

KeAndre Bates -- Men's Track & Field

Kelly Barnhill -- Women's Softball - 0.36 ERA
#1 - 2.74 Hits allowed per 7 innings.
#1 - 13.4 Strike-outs per 7 innings.
#3 - In Shut-Outs ~12~
#6 - Total Strike-Outs ~333~ (18 games with 10+ Strike-Outs)
* Struck-Out the side 48 times over 22 games this season.
* Has only allowed opponents to reach 3rd in 17 innings out of 173.2 innings pitched.
* She has 2 No-No's and 4 1-Hitters on the season.

* She has 14 wins with 9 Shut-Outs against Top 25 Teams.
Not too bad, considering that there are 3 other Gator pitchers with starts.
Kelly is also a CoSIDA Academic All-American.

So yep, she's more than earned it! :)
===========

And the Gator Baseball Team earned the #3 National Seed for the NCAA Tournament.

Another day another national championship for OU which makes # 2 natty for the week :p:p

OU Men's Golf win 2017 national championship :cool:
OU Men's doubles win 2017 national championship :cool:
OU Men's gymnastics win 2017 national championship :cool:
OU Wimmins gymnastics win 2017 national championship :cool:
OU Wimmins softball trying to repeat as 2017 national champions :eek:

It's great to be a Choklehoman instant ;)

Another day another national championship for OU which makes # 2 natty for the week :p:p

Ya'll are up there in a few sports, but nowhere near the Gators in overall athletic program numbers. Look at the history and current standings of the Director's Cup. The softball program is elite, but so is ours. Will be fun to see how this weekend turns out.

What that nailed head choker doesn't realize,,, is that he is so begging for some attention from his betters, that he comes to the Gator board to post his crap, while I don't even bother to read the crap on the chokers board, much less bother posting there. o_O

I did go over there a time or two to look, but guess what, that nailed head doesn't even post on his own board, like many of the chump criminoles that also post over here to stink up the place, but avoid their own snore-rant.... Typical of both wannabe fan groups in many of the ways. :confused:

Barnhill threw another complete game shutout tonight in beating LSU 7-0 to put the Gators in the semifinals for the National title. They are off until Sunday when someone would have to beat them twice to keep them out of the championship series.

Last edited:
They are in the drivers seat now, get rest with the best player and pitcher and should at least get to the final at worst...

Oklahoma is the team I fear the most. They won the title last year starting 4 freshmen and 4 sophomores. They were underseeded coming into the tournament at #10 and are playing relaxed with a lot of confidence. Paige Parker is a great pitcher, plus they have power and speed.

I don't fear Oklahoma. I've watched them a lot and well if Florida keeps swinging like they have been Oklahoma won't have a chance.

Multiple players with hits and RBI's.

Pitcher ERA's in National Ranking: #1 - #4 - #8

Team Fielding % .985

Keep on playing relaxed and aggressive to go all the way.

PS

The plate umpires are a joke with their strike/ball calls.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THEY NO LONGER PUT UP THE STRIKE ZONE BOX.

They don't want the millions of TV viewers to know how truly chitty their calls are. :mad:

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
Multiple players with hits and RBI's.

Pitcher ERA's in National Ranking: #1 - #4 - #8

Team Fielding % .985

Keep on playing relaxed and aggressive to go all the way.

PS

The plate umpires are a joke with their strike/ball calls.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THEY NO LONGER PUT UP THE STRIKE ZONE BOX.

They don't want the millions of TV viewers to know how truly chitty their calls are. :mad:
The strike zone has been very small and very erratic in the Super Regionals and the World Series. One ump gave nothing above the belt, which prevented Barnhill from throwing her rise ball. Another one took away the corners. It's been very small for all the games I've watched, but maybe because I'm a biased Gator it seems she has been squeezed a little more than other pitchers.

Reactions: instaGATOR
It's been very small for all the games I've watched, but maybe because I'm a biased Gator it seems she has been squeezed a little more than other pitchers.
The one last night was very tight. But the LSU pitcher threw some pitches that looked like strikes and were called ball too.

I think the tight strike zones are one reason why our batters are successful so far. They are coached to be very patient.

OU won 3-1 to advance to the semi-finals.

Losers flip brackets.

The brackets look like this now...

Bracket #1 Tomorrow;

#9 A&M vs #5 UCLA @ 12 ET
Winner plays #6 Washington @ 7 ET
#1 Florida will play the winner on Sunday @ 1 PM

Bracket #2

#3 Oregon vs. #15 Baylor @ 2:30 ET
Winner plays #13 LSU @ 9:30 ET
#10 Oklahoma will play the winner on Sunday @ 3:30

RHP Kelly Barnhill So 0.34 ERA - #1 in Nation
LHP Delanie Gourley Sr 0.67 ERA - #4 in Nation

RHP/Utl Alesia Ocasio Jr last season a 0.77 ERA, 2nd in the Nation.
This year she has the #8 ERA at 1.17, with an 8-1 W/L record.
Being the 'team player' that she is, she wanted to be an every game player. This led Tim Walton to play her a lot more in RF and at 3rd base. SWEET!
She is making 'ESPN Top 10 Plays' on defense, and she's batting .320.
At need, she can play every position on the field.... OMG!!! :eek:
Note:
Her equipment bag has 5 different gloves in it, depending on where she plays.

LF Amanda Lorenz So .399 -- In the 2017 WCWS it's 14 of 24 for .583

1B Kayli Kvistad Jr .385 -- .621 slugging % -- .570 on base %

2B Nicole DeWitt Jr .317 -- .517 slugging % -- .449 on base %

SS Sophia Renoso Fr .297 -- .394 slugging % -- .400 on base %

CF Justin McLean Sr.291 -- .302 slugging % -- .349 on base %

RF Chelsea Herndon Sr .273 -- .418 slugging % -- .349 on base %

Everyone in the starting line-up but one has hit multiple HR's this season, and that one (McLean) has 50 hits and 16 RBI's, with only 1 fielding error.
---------------

Team ERA 0.67
Team Batting .304
Team Fielding % .985
And the TEAM will only be losing the 3 Sr's from this year's team. :)

PS
For da dust-bowl choker. IF the Gators win the WCWS this year, that will be 3 of the last 4... :p -- 2014 - 2015 - 2017?
(and if not, there's always next year) ;)

Last edited:
UF Season 57 - 8 (65)
Kelly Barnhill - Season = 26-3, #1 ERA 0.34
WCWS 11 scoreless innings - OKC ERA 0.00
13 Strikeouts, 5 hits, 4 walks.
UF/Barnhill 15 - 0 aTm & LSU

IF Barnhill should finally falter,,, Delanie Gourley 21-4, #4 ERA 0.67

5 seed UCLA 48 - 14 (62) VS 6 seed Wash 50 - 13 (63)
Whoever wins between UCLA and Wash, still has to beat UF twice.
Wash 1 - 0 UCLA

Kelly and Delaine in the circle.
Jenny is the best pitching coach in the Nation. (Rocha)
Lo at the plate, batting .583 in the tourney on 14/24 (Lorenzo)
LeLe, a vacuum in the field and batting .500 on 3/6 at OKC (Ocasio)

40 Season Shut-Outs are a new UF Record, and the most since Az (41) in 2007.

Gourley was truly great in the circle today and it's a shame she lost the shutout with a 2-out error and then a bomb that gave Washington 2 unearned runs. But this was a relatively easy 5-2 win for the Gators. With the way Gourley controlled the game, it was essentially over after the 2nd inning when we went up 4-0. Now we get Oklahoma for the Natty. They have talent and confidence after winning it all last year with pretty much the same team. But Barnhill & Gourley and the defense are going to be hard to score on and if the bats stay alive like they have been the first 3 games, I see a Gator championship. The team seemed tight in the Regionals & Supers, but looks loose and very focused in the WCWS, like they're on a mission. Should be fun to watch.

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
I don't fear Oklahoma. I've watched them a lot and well if Florida keeps swinging like they have been Oklahoma won't have a chance.
You should fear Oklahoma. They return a lot of players who beat Auburn in the championship series last year. They were preseason number one because of all those returning players. I am not sure why they were seeded so low. They went 17-1 in the Big 12 and they also won the Big 12 tournament

Last edited:
You should fear Oklahoma. They return a lot of players who beat Auburn in the championship series last year. They were preseason number one because of all those returning players. I am not sure why they were seeded so low. They went 17-1 in the Big 12 and they also won the Big 12 tournament
I've stated all along that Oklahoma was vastly underseeded in the NCAA tournament and they have most of their team back from last year. But they should fear us as well. The Big 12 softball, as a conference, does not compare to the SEC or PAC-12. They haven't seen pitchers like Barnhill & Gourley. These are the Top 2 programs over the past decade as far as total wins go and we've each won 2 of the last 4 national titles. It should be a great series. Oklahoma has proven pitching and solid bats. We have great pitching and, to me, it all depends on our hitting. If we score 3+ runs we win because I don;t see anybody scoring much on us.

No pics yet? Kirsti Merritt was a fine little bitty but how about her
image_handler.aspx
170604_SBWashington_9402_CourtneyCulbreath.jpg

im not worried about oklahoma for anything but their home cooking umps like today on that miserable foul ball that was called fair to start their huge inning... all those screaming fans make even umps start nba'ing games in a sport with the least amount of one sided fixing... it can still be pulled off

I've stated all along that Oklahoma was vastly underseeded in the NCAA tournament and they have most of their team back from last year. But they should fear us as well. The Big 12 softball, as a conference, does not compare to the SEC or PAC-12. They haven't seen pitchers like Barnhill & Gourley. These are the Top 2 programs over the past decade as far as total wins go and we've each won 2 of the last 4 national titles. It should be a great series. Oklahoma has proven pitching and solid bats. We have great pitching and, to me, it all depends on our hitting. If we score 3+ runs we win because I don;t see anybody scoring much on us.
I base my comments a lot on what they did against Auburn in the championship series last year. Auburn had a fantastic hitting team last year that included 4 players who made all American at some point in their career, yet Paige Parker shut those players down in the championship series. She is as good or maybe better than the Osorio girl from Alabama. Oklahoma has a much better hitting team than Alabama

Reactions: sandman slim
I base my comments a lot on what they did against Auburn in the championship series last year. Auburn had a fantastic hitting team last year that included 4 players who made all American at some point in their career, yet Paige Parker shut those players down in the championship series. She is as good or maybe better than the Osorio girl from Alabama. Oklahoma has a much better hitting team than Alabama
It will be an interesting series. But here is 1 fact. When Florida scores 3 runs or more they are undefeated. And they've only lost 1 game when they scored 2 runs. Paige Parker is a great pitcher, but Barnhill & Gourley are #1 & #3 in the nation in ERA against better competition than Parker faced. No doubt Oklahoma has a better hitting team than Alabama, but they have to prove it against the best pitching staff and the #1 defense in the nation. Maybe they can, but again it all comes down to UF's offense. If they score 3+, they win, 2+ they have won all but once.

So you have 3 titles, and two of them are gymnastics? (If you didn't win the TEAM tennis title, it ain't a thing).

That's not shabby, but you listed it like it's 5 titles, and 3 ain't 5.

Reactions: instaGATOR

First Off -- It's 2017, not 2016.
#1 UF 4-3 AU #4
#1 UF 7-0 AU #4 - Shutout
#1 UF 0 - 1 AU #4 (crappy Umps gave them that game)
#1 UF 11 - 4 AU #4 -- Combined

#1 UF 6 - 1 Ark #23
#1 UF 8 - 0 Ark #23 - Shutout
#1 UF 6 - 1 Ark #23
#1 UF 20 - 2 Ark #23 -- Combined

Regional
UF 9 - 0 FL A&M -- Shutout
UF 2 - 0 OkSt -- Shutout

UF 0 - 1 OkSt
UF 5 - 0 OkSt -- Shutout
UF 7 - 1 OkSt -- Combined
UF 16 - 1 Opps. with 3 Shutouts

Super Regional

UF 0 - 3 AL
UF 2 - 0 AL - Shutout
UF 2 - 1 AL
AL pitchers #9 1.21 ERA and #18 1.31 ERA (both are better than OU's)
UF pitchers #1 0.36 ERA :eek:
and #4 0.67 ERA :eek: and #6 1.13 ERA :eek:

WCWS
UF 8 - 0 aTm -- Shutout
UF 7 - 0 LSU -- New UF school record - 40 Shutouts

UF 5 - 2 Wash - 2 7th inning 2-out errors gave up the 5-0 1-Hit Shutout. :oops:

WCWS Final - #1 UF vs #10 OU

UF pitchers: 58-8
Barnhill So -
#1 0.34 ERA, 26-3
Gourley Sr - #4 0.64 ERA, 22-4
Ocasio Jr - #6 1.13 ERA, 8-1 -- Batting .316, Fielding 1 error
Chronister Fr - 2.21 ERA, 2-0 --
waiting & watching, getting better, her turn will come
#1 Team ERA 0.66, 58-8
#1 Team Fielding .985
#32 Team Batting .304

Playing in a Conf. where all 13 schools with a softball team made the tourney.
===========

OK pitchers: 59-9
Paige, Parker Jr - #17 1.28
Paige, Lowary Jr -
#34 1.56
Nobody else is in the Nation's Top 50 ERA's....
#10 Team ERA .150
#5 Team Fielding .978

#17 Team Batting .316

Ok 3 - 0 OkSt -- Shutout
OK 6 - 2 OkSt
OK 2 - 0 OkSt -- Shutout
OK 11 - 2 OkSt -- (UF 7-1 OKSt)

OK 5 - 3 Ark -- (3 Gms - UF #1 UF 20 - 2 Ark #23)

OK 4 - 0 AU -- Shutout
OK 5 - 2 AU
OK 9 - 2 AU -- (3 Gms - #1 UF 11 - 4 AU #4)
=============

So, on paper, UF is the FOR SURE WCWS Champion. :cool:

However, on the field is yet to be determined, but I like their chances...o_O

Didn't have to worry about that. UF definitely got the calls behind the plate last night. OU fans are pissed.

no they didn't, that was the best college umpire ive seen in years with his zone.. He was exactly identical on both ends and barely missed any calls all the way through 17 innings

no they didn't, that was the best college umpire ive seen in years with his zone.. He was exactly identical on both ends and barely missed any calls all the way through 17 innings
Agreed. the only issue I had was the strike calls from the 1st base ump.

That was by far the best ump ive seen in college in a long time, not a thing to say bad about him.. We just couldn't hit with ten innings to put it away... but somehow thats negative instead of true

I, also, thought the ump had a more reasonable and consistent strike zone than most others I've seen in the WCWS. I do think he missed 1 call when he said Lorenz swung on a 3rd strike without asking for help. Replay clearly showed she held up. We did miss several chances to drive in the winning run, but Oklahoma, also, left a lot of runners on base including bases loaded twice in the late innings. To me their hitters made better adjustments to our pitchers than we did to theirs. And they do have a few more hitters who are deep threats than we do, but statistically the teams are very even, with UF being stronger in some areas, Oklahoma stronger in others. Here are some facts from the NCAA website, which were updated after last night's game. Oklahoma has a team batting average of .311, #22 in the NCAA. Florida's team batting average is .300, #39 in the NCAA. UF's team ERA is 0.74, easily #1, while Oklahoma's ERA is 1.52, #10 in the nation. UF's fielding percentage is .985, #1 again, while Oklahoma's is .977, #5 in the nation. Oklahoma averages 6.28 runs per 7 innings, #9 in the NCAA, while Florida averages 5.70 runs per 7 innings, #21 in the NCAA. UF's on base percentage is .419, #6 in the country, while Oklahoma's is .394, #21 in the nation. Oklahoma's slugging percentage is .471, which is #19, Florida's is .459, #34. Our pitchers are #1, #4 & #6 in the NCAA in ERA. Oklahoma's pitchers rank #20, #34 & #80 in ERA. In regards to K's per 7 innings,our 2 main pitchers rank #1 & #8. Oklahoma has 2 pitchers that rank #15 & #41. In regards to hits allowed per 7 innings, our pitchers rank #2, #3 & #45 in the nation. Oklahoma's pitchers rank #11, #22 & #43. Oklahoma has 1 hitter ranked in the Top 150 in the nation in batting average and she's ranked #43. We have 1 hitter ranked in the top 150 in batting average and she's #83. In regards to getting walks, we have girls ranked at #6 & #19 out of the Top 150; Oklahoma has 1 girl ranked on this list at #55. AND HERE'S SOME IMPORTANT STATS IMO: Oklahoma has 5 hitters ranked in the Top 130 in total hits, #27, #34, #66, #94 & #107. UF has only 2 on that list, at #23 & #130. Oklahoma has 3 players in the Top 30 in RBI's at #11, #14 & #21. UF has none.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
The ump got better towards the end, but his earlier calls cause the game to go past 7 innings to begin with imo. Others see it different, and that's fine with me.

I believe that the technology already exists to take the strike-ball calls out of the umpire's hands/eyes, and I look forward to the day when that happens.

In all of baseball and softball, and at every level, the umpires can control the flow of the game, and often the outcome of the game.
IMO -- That sucks and should end ASAP.... o_O

One of the proofs for my opinion is the fact that they don't put up the 'strike-zone box' like they used to. That's because it points out how truly bad their calls can be. They can prove me incorrect by using the box,,, but I'm betting that it's never going to happen. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT