Michi-Gator

Bull Gator
Dec 8, 2010
Ludington, MI
We likely won't know until spring and the answer doesn't really matter, but...,

What offense will we be running?

Foley claims he sought out offense and CJM tan am aggressive offense at CSU

BUT

He hired Nuss and TOS seems convinced we will look more like what CJM and Nuss ran at Bama and site his desire for 'big backs' instead of the type he used at CSU as evidence

Does anyone have any thougts or insight on this?

He will run whatever offense suits his personnel the best as he has said as much himself. With that being said he will run "his" offense, which is more like the offense he ran at CSU.

If you do not know the answer to your question, then you really need to go watch his initial press conference. We'll be running, "whatever works." Like music to sadgator's ears. He also gave a pretty good general explanation of his offensive philosophy if you have not watched it. He is going to analyze talent and do what he needs to get it moving based in what they are capable of doing...ala urban. We are in good hands with this dude.

The "whatever works" offense is a temporary solution. Going forward he will be recruiting toward what he seeks to ultimaely become. Will we look more like Oregon, with a QB rushing for 500+ yards run zone read option plays and passing to quick little guys in space, or will we look more like, well, Nuss' and Mac's offenses at Alabama, handing off to powerful RB's like Ingram, Lacy, Richardson,Yeldon and Henry, with a not-so-mobile QB throwing from the pocket to talented conventional wide receivers.

In short, will we be "spread" or "pro." Given the backgrounds of the HBC, the OC and their mentors, I would say it will be a pro set. The question will be how much do we throw vs. run. And how will they (are they capable of) fully taking advantage of the legs of a mobile qb like Treon.

Frankly, I was hoping we would move more toward the spread/speed type of an offense with a running QB, which seems to ne the wave of the future and best utilize our recruiting bases' talents and is the direction we committed to when we brought in Roper. I mean look who is winning big these days - Oregon, TOSU, TCU. The running Qb brings an added dimension that is hard to stop. The top pro-scheme teams got rolled this bowl season. The counter-argument is that some other pro-style teams excelled as Wisky rolled Auburn, Mich. State rolled Baylor, Georgia rolled Louisville, amd Arky rolled Texas, and that Rich Rod, Malzahn and Freeze (the Holy trinity of UF coveted spread option coaches), plus Holdgerson all failed in the bowls, and even the godfather of them all, Kevin Sumlin, had a fubared season.

Anyway, I trust Mac to come up with something that will take advantage of our speed recruiting base, use Treon's (and in the future Francois' arms and legs!) and bring some hardware back to Gainesville in short order!

This post was edited on 1/2 10:44 AM by HathBrad

Originally posted by sadgator:
If you do not know the answer to your question, then you really need to go watch his initial press conference. We'll be running, "whatever works." Like music to sadgator's ears. He also gave a pretty good general explanation of his offensive philosophy if you have not watched it. He is going to analyze talent and do what he needs to get it moving based in what they are capable of doing...ala urban. We are in good hands with this dude.
sad - I realize he will come in and adapt instead of cry, stomp his feet and sit on water coolers like Champ/Weis. But he will begin to move us in a direction, just wondeting what that will be.

I am more concerned with ability to attract the skill position players in the state, develop talent, gameplan and put a well-prepared team on the field than I am the actual scheme.

I never buy the 'I'll adapt to what I have' from coaches. ALL coaches have a preferred system that they want to run, any coach who tells you anything different is either incompetent or lying. Meyer said he could adjust his offense too and he was lost without a QB who could make plays with his legs.

McElwain's background is more tailored towards the proset, and that's what we'll eventually see as Hath alluded to.

Originally posted by HathBrad:
The "whatever works" offense is a temporary solution. Going forward he will be recruiting toward what he seeks to ultimaely become. Will we look more like Oregon, with a QB rushing for 500+ yards run zone read option plays and passing to quick little guys in space, or will we look more like, well, Nuss' and Mac's offenses at Alabama, handing off to powerful RB's like Ingram, Lacy, Richardson,Yeldon and Henry, with a not-so-mobile QB throwing from the pocket to talented conventional wide receivers.

In short, will we be "spread" or "pro." Given the backgrounds of the HBC, the OC and their mentors, I would say it will be a pro set. The question will be how much do we throw vs. run. And how will they (are they capable of) fully taking advantage of the legs of a mobile qb like Treon.

Frankly, I was hoping we would move more toward the spread/speed type of an offense with a running QB, which seems to ne the wave of the future and best utilize our recruiting bases' talents and is the direction we committed to when we brought in Roper. I mean look who is winning big these days - Oregon, TOSU, TCU. The running Qb brings an added dimension that is hard to stop. The top pro-scheme teams got rolled this bowl season. The counter-argument is that some other pro-style teams excelled as Wisky rolled Auburn, Mich. State rolled Baylor, Georgia rolled Louisville, amd Arky rolled Texas, and that Rich Rod, Malzahn and Freeze (the Holy trinity of UF coveted spread option coaches), plus Holdgerson all failed in the bowls, and even the godfather of them all, Kevin Sumlin, had a fubared season.

Anyway, I trust Mac to come up with something that will take advantage of our speed recruiting base, use Treon's (and in the future Francois' arms and legs!) and bring some hardware back to Gainesville in short order!
Hath - The reason these spreads win is the QB is an extra player the defense must account for, hence the struggles of coaches like Saban against these offenses. Also, did you see the plaus Mariotta made because he extended the play with his legs?

Originally posted by oozie7:
Meyer said he could adjust his offense too and he was lost without a QB who could make plays with his legs.
Meyer won a National Title with Chris Leak. He just won a play-off game with a third string QB. Love you Ooz...but you totally lose.

see also Steve Spurrier circa 1990.

Regarding the spread, I thought the coolest play was where mariotta ran the option and actually pitched it all the way out to a receiver, lined up wide. That's what I love about the Chip Kelly school, if it looks like something might work, they'll try it. I bet eventually, the spread will evolve to more downfield pitches, even off caught passes.

Originally posted by sadgator:

Originally posted by oozie7:
Meyer said he could adjust his offense too and he was lost without a QB who could make plays with his legs.
Meyer won a National Title with Chris Leak. He just won a play-off game with a third string QB. Love you Ooz...but you totally lose.

see also Steve Spurrier circa 1990.
You aren't disproving my point. Leak was one of the best pure passers we've ever had AND we incorporated a fullback and TE to make up for his lack of running. We also had Tebow. Likewise now with his QB's at OSU...they're all big, fast mobile dudes. That's the type of QB he wins with. Meyer's offenses have never really been good with a pocket QB.

And again, that isn't any kind of Meyer diss. Just saying...all coaches have a system they prefer. Any coach who tells you he doesn't have a system is lying or incompetent. Of course the great ones make minor tweaks, but no coach is switching up his system every year. If they are, they aren't good. We'll be proset under McElwain eventually.

I think we will run a spread. 1 back sets out of the shotgun. More like what you see in the NFL.

Ozzie: Your comments proved sadgator's point. With Chris Leak we went more pro set (ie: FB) than we ever did with TT. He adapted. While I don't coach at the collegiate level, I adapt my offense every year to my talent.

Originally posted by Michi-Gator:
We likely won't know until spring and the answer doesn't really matter, but...,
We may not know the answers until well into the season next year.

Originally posted by Weil Hall QB:
Ozzie: Your comments proved sadgator's point. With Chris Leak we went more pro set (ie: FB) than we ever did with TT. He adapted. While I don't coach at the collegiate level, I adapt my offense every year to my talent.
After we stunk on offense for about a year and a half he 'adapted.' But his offenses with a pocket guy were never dynamic. And we still used Tebow in that role so for the most part the offense didn't change. Sorta like how we used Burton in the run game when we had Brantley. He basically just subbed the QB out to gear up our run game, I wouldn't necessarily call that adapting in the truest sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT