ADVERTISEMENT

Football For everyone on the Lane Train

Mt.DoraGator

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2013
This thread is not to discuss the merits of firing Napier and hiring Kiffin. It's about money.
Kiffin will demand to be the highest paid HC in college football to come to UF. But that is not the problem. Since 1980 UF has had 14 HC's. Let's throw out the interim coaches, Darnell, Strong, Durkin, Shannon, and Knox so now we have 9 coaches in 44 years, Spurrier was here 11 years and Meyer 6. So throw them out and UF has had 7 HC's in those 27 other years meaning their average tenure is less than 4 years.
Which leads to the question: How much do you think Kiffin will demand as a buyout if he is fired (not for cause)? I'm thinking it will be north of Jimbo's buyout, the vibe on the HC job at UF is you are hired to be fired. SOS is a unicorn. Urban Meyer...well he is Urban Meyer. Kiffin would be hired to duplicate SOS/Meyer' success. What if he doesn't? If Kiffin is hired, then fired, the economic results might be a financial death penalty at UF football IMO. Risk vs benefit. Is this worth the risk?
I'm thinking the buyout for Kiffin added to Napier's would be over $100 million, real money for a public university with an endowment fund of about $ 2 billion. This represents 5 % of UF's total endowment. I'm sorry but football is not worth putting a flagship university's academic programs or research at risk. Once again, my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.