ADVERTISEMENT

Can we really slow down Fournette?

g8torlenny

Baby Gator
Aug 10, 2003
St. Petersburg
I haven't seen him play but all I hear is how really great and special this kid is. I feel like they are one dimensional and if we put the brakes on him and force the QB to throw we have a great chance for a pick. I'm also very confident they Treon will use his wheels and make a lot of good things happen for us on offense.

He's had multiple 200yd games this season. Over 5 games, he has put up 1200yds. We are going to be the best defense they'll face so far (most likely the whole season). I don't know if we will be able to hold him to under 100yds, but we need to do our best.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPGators17
I don't know if we can stop him.. but this will be his lowest rushing total for the year... Our D is the fastest and most physical D they will play, we will swarm to the ball.. I say he only gets 115-120 and 1 TD... It crazy to think that giving up 115-120 is slowing somebody down o_O but dude is that good!

Kelvin Taylor has 114 carries for just short.of 500 yards. Leonard Fournette has 5 more carries and almost 1,100 yards. But, he has not played great competition. Mississippi State was the best team they've played and they were a missed FG at the end of the game from beating LSU. They also missed a 2 pt. Conversion at the end to tie the game. Now they HELD him to 158 yards on 28 carries for a 5.7 yard avg per carry. If we can do that or better we have a chance to beat them unless their QB Harris has been held back by Miles. I'll take VH III, Tabor and the rest in that matchup.

Last edited:
He is bad ass...but 'stoping' him would be containing him...we CERTAINLY can. LSU hasn't played a defense like ours yet...if we tackle like we should then we have a chance to win...then it's going to be about turnovers and scoring enough points.

Good point. Lsu has had some close games. He is going to get his yards, I just hope our offense doesn't completely nose dive into nothingness.

There ain't no way we're stoppin' that dude. He's too good. The question is whether we can keep up.

I don't know if we can stop him.. but this will be his lowest rushing total for the year... Our D is the fastest and most physical D they will play, we will swarm to the ball.. I say he only gets 115-120 and 1 TD... It crazy to think that giving up 115-120 is slowing somebody down o_O but dude is that good!

The easiest way to stop any RB is a team that can't throw the ball to back you out of the box, just like we do UGA most years with their good RBs... and if you get up on them and force them to throw the ball a lot to get back in it it could go south fast for them. Everyone is about to find out just how average LSU is, just like last year. I really don't think they are any good at all and not even the best team we have played. If we take care of the ball and field position like we have been all season to everyone we have played we could win and actually win convincingly. Their QB is about to get exposed pretty badly, like they were last year.. and comparing the staffs and coaching ability is not even worth mentioning... it's not even close

LSU was a missed FG at the end from losing to Mississippi State. Kinda like is vs Tennessee. They are not unbeatable.

I actually feel like we did pretty well against LF.. even though he had 185 yards or something, he rushed 31 times.. he had one big run other then that it was short stuff. Our secondary was not our real secondary.. LSU qb is not a 13-19 qb.. they just beat our secondary. and we had no rush from the D line, but that hard to do when they aren't afraid to hand it off to LF on 3rd and long.. Our qb play could of been better, Treon played.....ok . He looked scared in the first half but seemed to calm down in the second.. but on the final two drives he looked flat out terrible. O well on to next week.

I actually feel like we did pretty well against LF.. even though he had 185 yards or something, he rushed 31 times.. he had one big run other then that it was short stuff. Our secondary was not our real secondary.. LSU qb is not a 13-19 qb.. they just beat our secondary. and we had no rush from the D line, but that hard to do when they aren't afraid to hand it off to LF on 3rd and long.. Our qb play could of been better, Treon played.....ok . He looked scared in the first half but seemed to calm down in the second.. but on the final two drives he looked flat out terrible. O well on to next week.

I think LSU's QB played better than expected at 13-19 no pics and 200+ yards. The passing game counted for nearly half of LSU's 423 offensive yds.

Another tale of the game was LSU's dominating run defense. UF ran for just 51 yards averaging 1.8 per carry on 31 attempts.

They were only successful with the run because the pass game opened it up and backed us up and on our heels more not able to attack... until the 2nd half

I think LSU's QB played better than expected at 13-19 no pics and 200+ yards. The passing game counted for nearly half of LSU's 423 offensive yds.

Another tale of the game was LSU's dominating run defense. UF ran for just 51 yards averaging 1.8 per carry on 31 attempts.
I didnt think we would come in a run the ball well..we rarely do unless we break off a long run..running game isn't a strong spot for us..the qb did play well but our secondary didn't play like a top tier secondary. It didn't help we had very little pass rush, but that was because of fournette..it don't matter if it's 3rd and 13 they will still hand the ball off to him.

that punch by fournette was cute and they got away with it. Just like the fumble, calloways catch and the knee down on the fake FG... LSU is a 3 loss team, just look at their last 4 game stretch. Either way if they win we will either play bama with 1 loss or avenge our only loss in Atlanta to a one loss LSU team. It's all good

that punch by fournette was cute and they got away with it. Just like the fumble, calloways catch and the knee down on the fake FG... LSU is a 3 loss team, just look at their last 4 game stretch. Either way if they win we will either play bama with 1 loss or avenge our only loss in Atlanta to a one loss LSU team. It's all good

On a kick the holder's knee being down does not kill the play. Otherwise, all extra points and filed goals would be nullified because the kicker's knee was on the ground. The key to the fake was the holder never put the ball to the ground. He motioned as though he was going to place the ball for the kick, but never touched it to the ground. One of the reasons LSU gives up so many second half points to weaker teams is they substitute freely once they have control of the game. Most of the late scores are against subs.

Yeah, there is an exception for the holder. Read the rules: 4-1-3(b) to be exact.

b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses FR-58 Rule 4 / Ball in Play, Dead Ball, Out of Bounds possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his body, except his hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule]

I just know how I was taught by a ST coordinator that won a Super Bowl with the Steelers and has been doing this for decades. He taught us to never do what LSU did or we would be whistled down

NFL Rule/interpretation may be different.

It's different but the play remains legal. In the NFL the ball carrier has to be down by contact. Because the holder hasn't been touched by a defender, he isn't down. A passer can throw from his knees if he isn't down yet. So it's legal for the holder to make that play in the NFL as well.

Reactions: GatorGray
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT