ADVERTISEMENT

A non-political side-bar of loyalty to America and what it stands for

kjfreeze

Gator Great
Jan 17, 2005
I just watched a documentary film on AHC (American Heroes Channel) called: Against the Odds - The Death Ridges of Peleliu. It blew me away. It's a somber tale of the WWII fight in the pacific against the Japanese on the island of Peleliu. It's one of many WWll documentaries, but it was touching to me.

"But they suffered and they did their duty so a sheltered homeland can enjoy the peace that was purchased as such a high cost. We owe those marines a profound debt of gratitude."

This show just got me thinking about today's society. So many people want to simply sweep history under the rug and do a restart. They want to wipe away what so many young men fought and died for. This sickens my stomach and watching shows like this one only ratifies my love for all of you veterans whether you fought in war or not. God bless you all !!

I've watched that episode and that line stood out to me as well. I could hear it as I read it.

That quote came from E. B. Sledge from the book With the Old Breed.

Reactions: kjfreeze
In writing I am fulfilling an obligation I have long felt to my comrades in the 1st Marine Division, all of whom suffered so much for our country. None came out unscathed. Many gave their lives, many their health, and some their sanity. All who survived will long remember the horror they would rather forget. But they suffered and they did their duty so a sheltered homeland can enjoy the peace that was purchased at such high cost. We owe those Marines a profound debt of gratitude.

Eugene B. Sledge, With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa

So many Baby Boomers grew up with Dads who had gone off as teenage kids off to fight a war America had to win. They came home with a mindset we absorbed. But our own children and grandchildren didn't get that same experience. If they did it doesn't show very much.
God Bless those brave men.

So many Baby Boomers grew up with Dads who had gone off as teenage kids off to fight a war America had to win. They came home with a mindset we absorbed. But our own children and grandchildren didn't get that same experience. If they did it doesn't show very much.
God Bless those brave men.

I don't want that experience for the kids coming of age, for kids that are my children's age, but I fear we are headed for calamity.

Stupidity has a way of repeating itself..lessons are forgotten. Some seem unforgettable but clearly they are not.

Not trying to take away from the story, but i keep my grandfathers cigarette case on my bookshelf so I can plainly see daily. He etched every place he went into it. It reads like this. Ft. Thomas, Ky, Miami Beach, Robins Field, Camp Stonman, Port Moresby, New Guinea. It is metal and has Australia with a kangaroo on the front of it 1943. I wish I could have thanked him more dearly than I had a chance to or realize what that man went through.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT