ADVERTISEMENT

Year 1 of the Napier Regime

groundhoggator

Baby Gator
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
When CBN was hired a year ago - i was estactic that Florida was able to hire him. While there were other more established coaches available, I liked CBN because this was a coach who can lead Florida back to prominence and sustain that high standard that Gator fans have been accustomed to during the Spurrier and Meyer years without being a threat to leave for the NFL or other college program.

I also felt given his organization - he was the perfect solution to recalibrate the chaos and disorder left by the previous regime.

My expectations for CBN's first year if asked a year ago would be as follows:

* Bring organization and structure back to program that became chaotic and laissez faire
* Have discipline and accountability off the field - which can be reflected via arrests and grades
* Have discipline and accountability on the field - measured in penalties due to mental mistakes (false starts, offsides, delay of game) or selfish me plays - (personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct)
* Have togetherness on field - Offense/espcially Defense celebrating together instead of individually, players picking up other players when they are on the ground, dealing with adversity
* See no quit attitude - where last year when the wheels fell off - they fell off... when adversity hits - do they fight back
* See improvement on Offense, Defense and Special Teams - is there a gamebreaker on ST for punt/KO return - since great majority were FC.
* Recruiting - bringing in a Top 10 class and compete for a Top 5 class where we are swinging our best shot for recruits considering BCS playoff schools.
* while I hoped Florida would go undefeated - this is a transition year - so instead of W/L record - how many games did Florida have a legitimate chance to win vs. no shot.
* bring back some swagger back to the Gator Nation - especially after his Scared $ mantra.

Results:
* Offseason resulted Napier's Army being built structure and organization being implemented
* Offseason had no arrests or academic casualties
* Offseason had sense of camaraderie and player buyin with CBN solving player issues and dedication to the Napier way
* Recruiting and Transfer Portal - made impact with limited time and while consternation on the fan sites - evaluation process was validated based on in season performance of transfers and those that Napier chose not take in on scholarship from '22 class. While more impact was expected - CBN got a taste of what NIL in the big leagues looks like with last minute reversals of anticipated commitments
* Utah victory was blessing and curse for season - a game that very easily could've been lost on a single play was a highlight victory and celebrated welcome to the Napier era. It was a curse as it overinflated Gator fans season expectations into an unrealistic category and masked critical weaknesses within the team that would show up during the season
* Regarding discipline and accountability on the field - penalties were much improved compared to last year although last few games of the year backtracked the marked improvement and were critical in losses
* I applaud the fight of the team throughout the season - never quitting and having a chance to win every game except for Georgia (even made that an 8 pt game in 2nd half) and today's game which is an aberration where the only benefit was playing time and evaluation for redshirts and 3rd/4th string players.
* A surprising concern which hopefully will be addressed is the middle 4 minutes and clock management strategy in last 5 min of 2nd/4th quarters. While a lot of decisions can be based on player talent on hand - nearly every game had some gaffe which impacted the outcome. This is on CBN and staff to cure. This includes timeout usage/deployment, tempo, and playcalling. I'm a big fan of analytics, however I would hope it was not paralysis by analysis or bound by a scripted playbook that can't be modified to account for game flow and player performance (example is AR hot or cold with his accuracy)
* 2023 recruiting has been exciting and looks to bring in a top 10 class, including meeting a critical need at QB (both 2023 and 2024), significantly upgrading talent throughout program and making a concerted effort to plant significant roots in Florida and within a 4 hour radius of campus. Questions can be evaluated internally if character was misidentified on recruits solely focused on NIL and not as a complement as there were mulitple instances where critical resources were deployed based on a false narrative presented by the recruit.
* Team improvement while not linear appeared on general upslope through S. Carolina game with CBN's culture making positive impact with eliminating obstacles and challenges to the culture. The Vandy game torpedo'd all the progress as the warts of lack of discipline reared it's ugly head and continued through today’s game. The good news is there will be a huge makeover in personnel and a major influx of talent heading to Gainesville
* Fan Swagger started strong and is currently false bravado. There is a strong desire to strut our chest out like a proud peacock however having been beaten down in the wilderness for the last decade + .... it's time to realize that a recalibration and reality check is needed from the most vocal of social media posters. Be part of the solution instead of the problem. If one is going to call out a problem - offer a realistic solution. Stick with facts and avoid emotional personal attacks. Going Henry VIII and off with your head is not a solution and a detriment to the future health of the program. Have the patience to allow CBN and staff a chance to fully implement their system with their players and then judge their capabilities. Look at what's happening at the school located in our state's capital... they were forced to stay with their current coach and have now started to reap the seeds planted a couple of seasons ago.
* For this offseason - I would like see 7-10 contributers (5-7 starters) from the portal, sign the existing commitments and hopefully add another 4-7 HS recruits. I would also like to see CBN open up media access during the offseason for fans to connect with the coaches and key players. While having one voice is important for a leadership and direction of the program and was necessary this season to establish the new culture and direction... improving the access will allow for Gator fans and the media to connect with key members - develop a kinship and may lead to less critical critiques in social media if instead of viewing them as faceless chess pieces, they are viewed as quality humans with emotion, feelings and realizing they are giving 100% and alignment with fans to make Florida the best it can be.
* It's critical to identify early in the offseason who the team leaders will be on offense/defense. Who amongst the 2022 class is ready to step into a leadership role? Which player in the portal will earn the respect of the team and further coalesce the culture being established?
* Regarding NIL - if 20M is needed annually - with the goal to become self sustaining - Gator Nation would need to raise 400M (@5% interest) or 500M (4%). What's the best way to accomplish this? If 40M is raised annually - with the 20M excess going towards sustainability goals - it will take roughly 20-25 years to become self sufficient... Economically speaking - at some point to find equalibrium either supply revenues increase (donations increase), demand expenses decrease (reduced NIL from players decrease) or legislation implemented to artificially stunt the free market of NIL (Congress, NCAA, P5 conferences)

I'm sure I have more - but this is enough of a starting point to engage in a healthy, respectful discussion.

In all kinds of weather, we all stick together.

Go Gators

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News