ADVERTISEMENT

YAHOOOOO! We just got our 8 team Playoff!!!!!!!!!!

To me entitlement was Alabama getting in because they are Alabama, coached by Saban with 50 5 stars on their roster. They got in with a weak SOS and no wins over a Top 15 team. They not only didn't win their conference, they didn't win their division. They got in because they "passed the eye test" of a committee as being better than 2 conference champions with better resume's in regards to quality wins and SOS. A really bad loss by USC & OSU outweighed all the other factors in the "opinion" of the committee. Is Alabama better? I think they probably are. Are they at least the 4th best team in the country. I think they probably are. But we will never know because this arbitrary, subjective format prevents the matter from being settled by head-to-head competition. Is FBS unique? Maybe. But does that make this 4 team system better that a true playoff that includes all 5 P5 champs? I honestly don't think so. But this is what we've got, at least for a few more years.

Reactions: sadgator
To me entitlement was Alabama getting in because they are Alabama, coached by Saban with 50 5 stars on their roster. They got in with a weak SOS and no wins over a Top 15 team. They not only didn't win their conference, they didn't win their division. They got in because they "passed the eye test" of a committee as being better than 2 conference champions with better resume's in regards to quality wins and SOS. A really bad loss by USC & OSU outweighed all the other factors in the "opinion" of the committee. Is Alabama better? I think they probably are. Are they at least the 4th best team in the country. I think they probably are. But we will never know because this arbitrary, subjective format prevents the matter from being settled by head-to-head competition. Is FBS unique? Maybe. But does that make this 4 team system better that a true playoff that includes all 5 P5 champs? I honestly don't think so. But this is what we've got, at least for a few more years.

That's the narrative but Bama wasn't chosen because of their name. They were chosen because they had 1 regular season loss while the other contenders had two regular season losses, in blowout fashion to boot. It wasn't just Ohio St. USC also got blown out by a mediocre ND team. In addition to all that Bama had the largest point differential in the country and is one of only two teams with both their offense and defense being top 5 in the country in efficiency (not sure where they stand now after conference games). By any statistical measure they're not only a top 4 team, but the best team. It's why Vegas has them favored over Clemson now. And BTW Bama's strength of schedule is higher than Ohio St's so if Bama's schedule is considered weak then so is there's and Bama didn't get blown out twice.

It is a shame that we couldn’t have just awarded Bama the conference and National Title trophies in Hoover this August...because they are the “best.”

A bit hyperbolic no? Bama still has two games to win...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT