ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be your 3 permanent opponents?

This could easily be Florida's schedule in 2024.

@ Georgia (in Athens) as we are considered the home team in the 2023 Jacksonville game.
@ Bama
@Texas
@ Tennessee
@ Auburn
@FSU

In Gainesville:

LSU
Kentucky
Mizzu
South Carolina
Miami
UCF

You might be right. I don’t recall.
Lol…it was an easy game to forget. It was the game we wore those green uniforms…and choked it away in the 4th…

sadgator was there…it sucked…

Florida-2017-Uni.png

Last edited:
This could easily be Florida's schedule in 2024.

@ Georgia (in Athens) as we are considered the home team in the 2023 Jacksonville game.
@ Bama
@Texas
@ Tennessee
@ Auburn
@FSU

In Gainesville:

LSU
Kentucky
Mizzu
South Carolina
Miami
UCF
Holy crap. That would be horrible. Surely they will do a lot of work to mix things up. Where did you get this?

Holy crap. That would be horrible. Surely they will do a lot of work to mix things up. Where did you get this?

I looked at what it was for 2024 pre-OK and TX joining and figured when it came to teams you were playing every year until 2023 they would try and keep the same home/away pattern and had to make a guess with the Bama and Texas games. At most we maybe get one less tough game when it comes out. These new 9 game SEC schedules aren't going to be a joke. If you pull a 9-3 or better with these schedules and a tough out of conference opponent you will have earned it. I don't think some people realize how much TX and OK joining and having 9 SEC games is going to change things. 10-2 or better will be especially tough and rare.

I looked at what it was for 2024 pre-OK and TX joining and figured when it came to teams you were playing every year until 2023 they would try and keep the same home/away pattern and had to make a guess with the Bama and Texas games. At most we maybe get one less tough game when it comes out. These new 9 game SEC schedules aren't going to be a joke. If you pull a 9-3 or better with these schedules and a tough out of conference opponent you will have earned it. I don't think some people realize how much TX and OK joining and having 9 SEC games is going to change things. 10-2 or better will be especially tough and rare.
I kinda think they will blow the whole thing up and ignore who just played. Agree on the 9 game deal. Georgia plays Clemson next year and I think would like to do that more often but with 9 SEC and Ga Tech that’s just too much when it’s time to go to their place. Every other year we all will have 5 SEC road games. They gonna stagger your FSU game, our Tech, and SC with Clemson?

Correction : Georgia plays Clemson in 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
We damn sure aren't going to do that with Jacksonville but right now it might be best for us to have the game in Gainesville every other year.
Fever,

As someone born & raised in Jacksonville, it would be painful to have the WLOCP fade away into the night.

Several UGA Head Coaches have expressed the desire to take the game to a home & home setting, but Univ Presidents have, so far, declined.

Hope it remains in Jacksonville, but who knows what the future will be.

Reports said OU and Texas now coming in 2024. So in a 3-6 model who are your 3?

Georgia for sure
Probably Auburn
LSU? Or would they put SC in?

I think Georgia gets Florida, Auburn and SC. But Auburn would complain about both of us plus Bama. They whine a lot about everything anyway.

Georgia about to run from fsu next yr, I can feel. "Cancel the game now"

• Haha
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Gwinnett,

The Depths of Hell !

Just think Napier may be fighting with a true freshman or Mertz in 2024 trying to get a 9-3 record with that schedule so he isn't fired though I think with the SEC changes 8-4 might give him another season.

Its crazy thinking about this new scheduling as the old 10-2 regular season in the SEC will be 9-3 now etc. I bet if you looked back on how many SEC teams went 10-2 or better in the 4 team playoff era its 2 teams or only one most years. 9-3 will definitely be the new 10-2.

I'm thinking ours will be Georgia, South Carolina & Auburn. Just hope it's not Georgia, Tennessee & LSU.

I'm thinking ours will be Georgia, South Carolina & Auburn. Just hope it's not Georgia, Tennessee & LSU.
Ocala,

Don't see Auburn being a permanent opponent.

Texas & Oklahoma will both be out West with TAMU.
Auburn will have enough trouble with Bama, UGA, & whoever their 3rd Permanent is.

They will do whatever it takes to dodge us.

There will obviously be a huge amount of politicking behind the scenes as to who goes where & The Permanent Opponents.

Doubt anyone will be happy.

I was possibly thinking about that as well but no way they give Auburn a 3 game schedule of Bama, UGA & UF. I would assume that Auburn is going to get Bama and UGA for sure.

We will see who cancels the game next yr. Yes I know we don't play next yr I'm saying Georgia will run next yr and say they don't want to play.
We were busy lining up games with OU and TX before the SEC thing, along with Clemson and UCLA. Don’t need you.

Have the ditched the quads idea?

In a 4 division conference, the logical split would be

Georgia, Florida, USC, UK

UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn

Arky, LSU, Miss, Miss State

Okie, UT, TAMU, Mizzou

This saves most of the rivalries and has geographical sense as well, plus being somewhat balanced in power.

If they aren't having Quads, what are they having? Two divisions of 8 each, where you only play 5 of the 8 teams in your division each year? Or one single conference, where you play 9 of 15 other teams and the top 2 records play for the conference title, or maybe they get rid of the SECCG entirely?

Only the quad system makes sense, as you would play everybody who you are in competition against for the league title. Yes, it means a 4 team SECCG, which is not optimal. But it's still better than having a situation where you are by far the best team in your division but lose the division title because a team you didn't even get to play had a far easier schedule than yours, or worse, you both went undefeated in the division but they won on some tiebreaker. Which would be horrible. Unless it happened to UGa, then it would be hilarious. :D

Reactions: PacoGator19

UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn

Okie, UT, TAMU, Mizzou

This saves most of the rivalries and has geographical sense as well, plus being somewhat balanced in power.

If they aren't having Quads, what are they having? Two divisions of 8 each, where you only play 5 of the 8 teams in your division each year? Or one single conference, where you play 9 of 15 other teams and the top 2 records play for the conference title, or maybe they get rid of the SECCG entirely?

Only the quad system makes sense, as you would play everybody who you are in competition against for the league title. Yes, it means a 4 team SECCG, which is not optimal. But it's still better than having a situation where you are by far the best team in your division but lose the division title because a team you didn't even get to play had a far easier schedule than yours, or worse, you both went undefeated in the division but they won on some tiebreaker. Which would be horrible. Unless it happened to UGa, then it would be hilarious. :D

It sounds like they will be ditching the quad stuff idea and going with a 9 game SEC schedule with no divisions with 3 yearly opponents and then you will play the 12 other SEC teams every other year. They will take the 2 teams with the best record for the SECCG.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
It sounds like they will be ditching the quad stuff idea and going with a 9 game SEC schedule with no divisions with 3 yearly opponents and then you will play the 12 other SEC teams every other year. They will take the 2 teams with the best record for the SECCG.
That's too bad. The 9 game schedule and the quads really worked well together. Teams in the quads would play identical schedules, so winning your quad would have never involved a difficulty in SOS difference.

But hey, I'm about 1 more year of NIL nonsense away from finding something else to do in the fall anyway, so what I think really doesn't matter.

That's too bad. The 9 game schedule and the quads really worked well together. Teams in the quads would play identical schedules, so winning your quad would have never involved a difficulty in SOS difference.

But hey, I'm about 1 more year of NIL nonsense away from finding something else to do in the fall anyway, so what I think really doesn't matter.

Good and bad points of both I guess. I think losing a couple of games they wanted every year was one issue and the other was the issue of the SECCG with quads.

UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn

Okie, UT, TAMU, Mizzou

That’s not bad either. I bet Arky would
complain about getting left out of the SWC grouping in favor of Mizzou. But any of these are a sight better than what we’ve had since aTm and Mizzou joined.

That’s not bad either. I bet Arky would
complain about getting left out of the SWC grouping in favor of Mizzou. But any of these are a sight better than what we’ve had since aTm and Mizzou joined.
Arky and Mizzou is the only one I think could be switched and still make sense. But the razorbacks are closer geographically to Louisiana and Mississippi than Mizzou, and besides, have been in the SEC for 32 years. It's only us old farts who remember the Arky-Texas rivalry as a big deal. Plus Okie was never in the SWC, so it isn't a full grouping when they are included anyway.

sadgator knows it’s a foregone conclusion, but the closer we get, the more and more sadgator absolutely hates the fact that Texas and Oklahoma are joining our league…

Feels like they bring it down a little no? Like a and m and mizz? SEC was much stronger team for team without all these big 12 schools. I get the appeal of adding OU and Texas tho, they are big brands and will provide more money.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Feels like they bring it down a little no? Like a and m and mizz? SEC was much stronger team for team without all these big 12 schools. I get the appeal of adding OU and Texas tho, they are big brands and will provide more money.

It makes the SEC a lot tougher though and now a team like KY will have it a lot harder pulling a 9-3 when they have a good year as being in a weaker division won't help you now. With TX and OK added and the rotation of the 12 non-yearly opponents it will be tough to pull a 9-3 regular season but your odds of making the playoff at 9-3 with that schedule will be pretty good with 12 teams getting in.

Reactions: PacoGator19
It makes the SEC a lot tougher though and now a team like KY will have it a lot harder pulling a 9-3 when they have a good year as being in a weaker division won't help you now. With TX and OK added and the rotation of the 12 non-yearly opponents it will be tough to pull a 9-3 regular season but your odds of making the playoff at 9-3 with that schedule will be pretty good with 12 teams getting in.

I think adding OU Texas made it harder but adding Mizz and A and M didn't. Neither of those 2 teams have even come close to challenging for an sec title except in a covid yr

Mizzou went to the title game their first two years. Got their asses kicked but they got there.

Down yr from the SEC then, Mizz has always been terrible. Duke has made our title game before as well.

Last time Mizz won a co f championship was in the big 8 lol

SEC is just getting tougher and tougher. I have to assume that in most years the SEC will get 4 teams in for a 12 team playoff.

• Haha
Reactions: fsu939913
SEC is just getting tougher and tougher. I have to assume that in most years the SEC will get 4 teams in for a 12 team playoff.

I think one thing with the sec up to this point is their split of divisions was really well done. Both divisions even for the most part over most yrs. I think the SEC was elite and so far ahead the yr Auburn went undefeated or lost 1 game (think it was when they had Cadillac) and they didn't make the title game. SEC was rolling back then. I don't think adding a and m and Mizz made it more difficult. Now adding OU and Texas will make it more difficult imo but I'm interested to see how the scheduling works out. Usually the sec doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with scheduling. Will be a fun league moving forward, 4 Big 12 teams now in the league, so far those big 12 trams haven't made much noise. OU is the one I'm most interested in, can they still have good seasons?

I think one thing with the sec up to this point is their split of divisions was really well done. Both divisions even for the most part over most yrs. I think the SEC was elite and so far ahead the yr Auburn went undefeated or lost 1 game (think it was when they had Cadillac) and they didn't make the title game. SEC was rolling back then. I don't think adding an and m and Mizz made it more difficult. Now adding OU and Texas will make it more difficult imo but I'm interested to see how the scheduling works out. Usually the sec doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with scheduling. Will be a fun league moving forward, 4 Big 12 teams now in the league, so far those big 12 trams haven't made much noise. OU is the one I'm most interested in, can they still have good seasons?
I would say A&M and Mizzou probably did help. They brought the SEC even more revenue through TV deals etc. likely because of being in different geographic markets to allow the conference to expand even more and generate even more revenue for the SEC programs that already existed. SEC programs are making more money now than they did before. A&M has more money than just about any college program in the entire country.

These are all the programs that have won national titles in the modern era (2000s). Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, LSU, Clemson, Ohio St, FSU, Texas, Southern Cal, Miami & Oklahoma. 7 of those 12 programs will now be in the SEC. That’s pretty ridiculous. How many schools outside those 12 programs probably have the resources to win a national title? A&M, Tennessee, Oregon, Michigan, Penn State & Notre Dame?? Anybody else?

At this point just make a super conference with those 9 SEC teams + 4 Big 10 teams + 3 ACC teams + ND & Oregon.

Reactions: fsu939913
Well SEC has put 2 of 4 in so I would say most likely 4 each year. Could be as many as 6.
Bingo. It just about every year the SEC has gotten 2 of the 4 teams in the playoff so it certainly isn’t unreasonable to think that 4 in a 12 team playoff will be likely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT