ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be your 3 permanent opponents?

Well SEC has put 2 of 4 in so I would say most likely 4 each year. Could be as many as 6.
It would be extremely hard, even for the 16 team SEC, to put 6 teams in the top 12, if for no other reason than we will all play each other. Somebody has to lose. If they wanted to get 6 teams in they should have dropped back to 7 conference games. Then you could have regularly seen 6 teams with 10-2 or better records. Also, if they reserve a space for the group of 5, that makes it even tougher, because then you have to be 6 of the top 11. I'd say 3-4 would be normal, five teams in a strong year.

Well SEC has put 2 of 4 in so I would say most likely 4 each year. Could be as many as 6.
Of they ever put 6 in from any 1 conference cfb is done. That's what the reg season is for. I think the sec will have 3 every single yr and sometimes 4. It won't always be deserved (4th team) but they will put them in there. If the sec has a really good yr I could see 5 but that's just crazy to me. Each conf should be capped with a certain amount of teams, only issue is if certain conferences get diluted.

Look at Ole Miss this yr, everyone said Ole Miss was so great and they lose to every decent team they played. I don't know what the right answer is, the sec going to a 9 game conf schedule sucks imo because it will allow them to claim they just beat up on each other instead of making them travel out west or up north to play games. I prefer 8 game conf schedules but to defend the sec here, they have so many teams in their conf that I understand them wanting to play their conf.

Of they ever put 6 in from any 1 conference cfb is done. That's what the reg season is for. I think the sec will have 3 every single yr and sometimes 4. It won't always be deserved (4th team) but they will put them in there. If the sec has a really good yr I could see 5 but that's just crazy to me. Each conf should be capped with a certain amount of teams, only issue is if certain conferences get diluted.

Look at Ole Miss this yr, everyone said Ole Miss was so great and they lose to every decent team they played. I don't know what the right answer is, the sec going to a 9 game conf schedule sucks imo because it will allow them to claim they just beat up on each other instead of making them travel out west or up north to play games. I prefer 8 game conf schedules but to defend the sec here, they have so many teams in their conf that I understand them wanting to play their conf.
Well hasn’t the Big 12 and Pac 10 now been diluted? There isn’t much left in those 2 conferences. This was kind of my concern with the 12 team playoff. I think you are going to have a hard time finding 12 good teams in the playoff, especially the back end of those 12 teams.

The biggest issues is the SEC just recruits too good right now and whether anybody wants to believe it or not the most talented teams do generally win the most. Again that isn’t really rocket science or groundbreaking news. We can go back just about as far as anybody wants too and the teams winning natty’s are also the teams pulling in top 5 classes.

SEC is just getting tougher and tougher. I have to assume that in most years the SEC will get 4 teams in for a 12 team playoff.

My guess is 3 or 4 most years probably averaging a little closer to 3 over time. I am going to go take a look and see how many SEC teams would have got in a 12 team playoff since the playoff started in the 2014 season. The only issue now is with the SEC being a bloodbath conference with the scheduling, extra SEC game plus the OK and TX additions. I am thinking now that 9-3 in the SEC will rarely get you left out of the 12 team playoff but getting that 9-3 now will be almost as difficult as 10-2 used to be.

Here is how many teams from the SEC would have made the playoff looking at the college playoff rankings with 12 teams getting in and the system being the highest ranked 6 conference champions and the 6 highest ranked teams remaining.

2014: (3)
2015: (1)
2016: (1)
2017: (3)
2018: (4)
2019: (3)
2020: (4)
2021: (3)
2022: (3)

I doubt we could see a situation like 2015 and 2016 in the SEC again but the other years might be telling that it will be around 3-4 most seasons because you have OK and TX joining but the new teams and setup will make real good records harder to come by.

It would be extremely hard, even for the 16 team SEC, to put 6 teams in the top 12, if for no other reason than we will all play each other. Somebody has to lose. If they wanted to get 6 teams in they should have dropped back to 7 conference games. Then you could have regularly seen 6 teams with 10-2 or better records. Also, if they reserve a space for the group of 5, that makes it even tougher, because then you have to be 6 of the top 11. I'd say 3-4 would be normal, five teams in a strong year.
I agree completely. I was simply pointing out that just using math to math percentages it wouldn't be down right impossible for 6. Going to 12 will most likely mean 3-4 each year is my guess.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Here is how many teams from the SEC would have made the playoff looking at the college playoff rankings with 12 teams getting in and the system being the highest ranked 6 conference champions and the 6 highest ranked teams remaining.

2014: (3)
2015: (1)
2016: (1)
2017: (3)
2018: (4)
2019: (3)
2020: (4)
2021: (3)
2022: (3)

I doubt we could see a situation like 2015 and 2016 in the SEC again but the other years might be telling that it will be around 3-4 most seasons because you have OK and TX joining but the new teams and setup will make real good records harder to come by.
Did you include Oklahoma and Texas when you took a look back?

Reactions: Gator Fever
Well hasn’t the Big 12 and Pac 10 now been diluted? There isn’t much left in those 2 conferences. This was kind of my concern with the 12 team playoff. I think you are going to have a hard time finding 12 good teams in the playoff, especially the back end of those 12 teams.

The biggest issues is the SEC just recruits too good right now and whether anybody wants to believe it or not the most talented teams do generally win the most. Again that isn’t really rocket science or groundbreaking news. We can go back just about as far as anybody wants too and the teams winning natty’s are also the teams pulling in top 5 classes.

Agree completely. However, I just can't justify putting a 5th team from the SEC in over a 3rd team from the pac 12 if they have similar records based on some recruiting rankings. I just don't think that is the right thing to do. Plenty of teams beat the sec when the sec is forced to play them, yes the sec has won more of those contests and the sec always has an elite of the elite team. That doesn't necessarily mean that the 5th sec team is better than the 3rd pac12 or big 12 team.

The one point you made that is just irrefutable is those conferences have been diluted. So it's an interesting situation. I'm just not in favor of putting in 5 from a conference, it's absolutely boring, we have already seen those matchups and that's why there is a conference schedule. There is no reason to have the 5th best team in any conference be in the playoff.

Even if you went by rankings over the past 10 yrs, I'm not sure the sec would have had more than 4. I think 4 can be justified at times, even 5 on a big breakout yr but anyone suggesting more than that just needs to watch the co f schedule.

What's the standard right now to make it? 5 conf Champs, highest g5 school? So that's 6 of the 12, not including ND on some yrs. I just can't see a world where the sec gets 4 of the remaining 5 or 6 spots. That's insanity, even for sec fans. 4 I can see. I think this yr they would have had 4 right? UGA, Bama, Tenn, and Lsu?

Did you include Oklahoma and Texas when you took a look back?

No because I think with them and the new format the SEC is going to be a bloodbath. If I had to predict most years in the SEC from 2024 on will simply be whether you go 9-3 or better to make the playoff. I am also thinking now they couldn't pass on a 9-3 SECCG loser that ended up 9-4 since a 9-3 below them in the SEC tiebreaker would be getting in. In the new SEC I think it would be pretty rare to get 5 teams going 9-3 or better however.

Reactions: Countygator1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT