ADVERTISEMENT

We got another commitment today

Leak played for a 1A Christian school in NC.

Trask played for a 7A public school in TX.

Looks identical to me.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Played for" is a rather strong term for Trask.

Kyle Trask 6-4 228 Fr
Ship to UF as a backup QB in HS. Injured as a Soph or would have been the starter.
Passing - 118 of 161 (73.3%) for 1,820 yds, 11.3 yds/att, 17 TD's, 0 Ints, QBR 145.5

His HS coach said that he gave him the 3rd and 7th series in most games. His playing time was not in the traditions of a backup / mop-up QB. o_O
Did you not already know that, or are you just being your usual stalking A-Hole?
(jus-curious of course) :rolleyes:

Again, any difference is mostly in your mind. :confused:

Leak was not a Percy Harvin, he was just a really good game manager QB that was playing for a Top Quality (NC) team. Wuerffel still had the most TD passes, but Leak left UF with the career Total Passing Yds record.

Leaks teammates vs Trask's (at UF) are the bigger difference imo.
IF,,, Trask ends up the starter, he'll have a much tougher row to hoe.

But how about this, just as a hypothetical. If Trask had been at Leak's HS, who do you suppose would have been the starter?
(only conjecture and opinion on either of our parts)

"Problem is Mac is an unknown to these kids." -- Michi-twit

Kirby Smart (bama DC) has name recognition,,,,
but McElwain (bama 2x NC OC & ColoSt MWC CoY) and Nussmeier (bama NC OC) don't??? ROTF-LMAO!!!
And Mc-staff only won 10 games and the SECe-C in his first season, blowing all predictions and expectation completely away, (7-5 at best, #4-5 SECe).
------------
"Too much making Trask a star before he steps in a game.
Let's wait and see how that works out." -- Michi-twit

Where they are at right now:
Luke Del Rio 6-1 213 rsSo
Walk-on to bama, 3rd string, Nuss left UA so he transferred to OreSt.
Walk-on to OreSt, 2nd string. Coach left, so he transferred to walk-on at UF.
Current Career College Stats - 3 gms, 0 starts (at OreSt):
Passing - 8 of 18 (44.4%) for 141 yds, 7.8 yds/att, 0 TD's, 0 Ints, QBR 110.2
Spring game, longest pass was about 23 yds, all were in the 18-23 yd range. (game manager, 1st team O vs 2-3 D)

Kyle Trask 6-4 228 4.6/40 Fr
Ship to UF, even as a backup QB in HS.
Injured as a Soph or he would have been the Manvel HS starter, per his coach.
Passing - 118 of 161 (73.3%) 1,820 yds, 11.3 yds/att, 17 TD's, 0 Ints, QBR 145.5
Spring Game - 4 of 7 with 2-3 string vs 1st string D. Slipped on the mid-field painted logo and still threw a 50 yd pass that only a great play by AA Maye kept from being an endzone TD to tFr EE Hammond.
-----------------

"If we can't attract elite talent at many positions" -- Michi-twit

2017 - 5 of his first 7 verbals are ESPN Top 300's. The other 2 are 350 pound DT's.

2016 - 7 of his first full class (25) recruits were ESPN Top 300's, 2 were JuCo Top 50's.
2015 - With only 2 months to recruit, his (21) class (1/3) still had 6 ESPN Top 300's.
That's 13 Top 300's and 2 JuCo Top 50's already, with supposedly no name recognition in his first 14 months on the job.

The Mc-staff 'style' is being affected by what he was left to deal with. That might carry over into 2016, but by 2017 we should be able to see in which direction he intends to take his team. Like any good HBC, he adjusts his systems to fit the personnel.
-----------
PS
True Fr Leak beat 3 consecutive teams ranked in the Top 11,,, on the road (LSU-Ark-UGa). That was a 1st for any SEC true Fr QB, if memory serves me.
That included beating the 2003 BCS-NC 13-1 LSU in Death Valley (19-7).
(fixed it TG) :cool:
The difference between Leak and Trask is that Leak was given the reins and full support as the starter from the very get-go. Trask will have to work his way into a starter job past two older QB's, IF that happens at all in 2016.

Because the kids were middle schoolers or younger when Mac was at Bama, Kirby flipped during their recruiting cycle. Add to it Bama is much more known for their defense than their offense. And while they have some decent offensive numbers, Julio Jones tiraid about being limited in the O combined with perception of a defensive school make Mac much less of a known commodity that Mac.

And no one in the nation outside you gives a rat's ass about Bustmeir.

Indeed. Being Bama East got long tenured Mark Right fired.

Allen may be the answer. I didnt want to speak on him until I saw him in a spring game at least.

My only recruiting concerns are the OL and DL. I am happy they did get the numbers at the OL to normal depth numbers. How good they are is the question. That I have no idea. The Johnson kid in his first class impressed me and of course Martez did. This DL commitment on on the OP, yes I scratched my head but pulling a Trask and/or Perine type offer once every now and then isn't bad. Just don't try to make a living off of doing g it consistently

I don't disagree with you as much as you think. I hate reaches in a year where all that is talked about is how "small" this class will be. In defense of Mac, the one position he cannot wait for all studs and come up empty is DT. I am still not sold this kid is worthy or that DT is the right position to take a JUCO as we need that spot to be filled for the long term, but time will tell. I hope the remainder of the class is filled out with elite players, we cannot fall further behind the Bama and FSU's of the world.

Again, any difference is mostly in your mind. :confused:

Leak was not a Percy Harvin, he was just a really good game manager QB that was playing for a Top Quality (NC) team. Wuerffel still had the most TD passes, but Leak left UF with the career Total Passing Yds record.

Leaks teammates vs Trask's (at UF) are the bigger difference imo.
IF,,, Trask ends up the starter, he'll have a much tougher row to hoe.

But how about this, just as a hypothetical. If Trask had been at Leak's HS, who do you suppose would have been the starter?
(only conjecture and opinion on either of our parts)

I swear you throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. Leak had Harvin for one year while Harvin was a true frosh. Leak played with MUCH less offensive talent than Trask will have. Our depth at TE and RB are absolutely unreal. And I believe by next year we will have more playmakers at WR than Leak ever played with. Your obsession with Trask is leading to absolutely absurd comments.

That argument is still contradictory though because you also stated that we won't improve in recruiting until Mac has results. With regards to the defense we had results last year. We were a top 15 unit. So the perception that the defense would fall off has already been PROVEN incorrect and we still aren't recruiting well on defense. I would expect us to be struggling to recruit on offense while pulling in great offensive recruits, but the opposite has been true to date. I don't think there's a good explanation for that.

Not enough time to see results yet. He needs more traction with either side of the ball to see the correlation you are talking about. He had the 110th offense or so last year. But did show good flashes with Grier. It is an interesting way to analyze it. I think it's common knowledge that mac can't win champsionships the way he's recruited the last couple years. It should get better. This coming year will be a big stepping stone year for mac. I thought he made comments about how he needed to do much better in state, etc and knows it needs to get better. It's just going to be a matter of timing. Can he fix the offense in time, before the defense falls way off in 2017/2018. There is a talent drop off after this next season on the defensive side of the roster. I think he understands how to run an effective program but I'm not sure if he's a championship coach. That's what the gator fans are expecting and are used to. That's going to be the issue IMO.

Not enough time to see results yet. He needs more traction with either side of the ball to see the correlation you are talking about. He had the 110th offense or so last year. But did show good flashes with Grier. It is an interesting way to analyze it. I think it's common knowledge that mac can't win champsionships the way he's recruited the last couple years. It should get better. This coming year will be a big stepping stone year for mac. I thought he made comments about how he needed to do much better in state, etc and knows it needs to get better. It's just going to be a matter of timing. Can he fix the offense in time, before the defense falls way off in 2017/2018. There is a talent drop off after this next season on the defensive side of the roster. I think he understands how to run an effective program but I'm not sure if he's a championship coach. That's what the gator fans are expecting and are used to. That's going to be the issue IMO.

IMO he is Mark Richt without the recruiting

IMO he is Mark Richt without the recruiting

He's been here for one year and he is a Mark Richt without the recruiting? You're right, he clearly hasn't accomplished enough in one season and two recruiting cycles.

The fact that he didn't win a national championship in his first year with the offense Muschamp left him is pretty damning.

Last edited:
Michi-twit, you make an awful lot of unsubstantiated bogus claims as if they are facts.
You attempt to refute my facts with your own made up bullchit.
(so typical of your type, depending that some readers won't check up on the facts)

Unlike you, those middle-schoolers (now HS'ers) have the internet and know how to use it, where a couple of clicks will bring them the info that you claim that they lack. McElwain
http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=473&path=football

As to I'm the only one who cares or knows about Nussmeier, the HBC knows him and he's helped hire him twice. Is Mc as dumb as you claim I am? And it seems to me, going by his coaching history, that a lot of other coaches have hired him too, (including Saban). But you're smarter than any and all of them, right? :rolleyes: Nussmeier
http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=478&path=football

I'm not wasting my time to hammer your roster claims, etc. Anyone who blindly accepts your constant crap here deserves their ill-informed ignorance, as do you.... :cool:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...sk-could-become-first-rate-talent-for-florida

Last edited:
I swear you throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. Leak had Harvin for one year while Harvin was a true frosh. Leak played with MUCH less offensive talent than Trask will have. Our depth at TE and RB are absolutely unreal. And I believe by next year we will have more playmakers at WR than Leak ever played with. Your obsession with Trask is leading to absolutely absurd comments.

Gawd's but you're an idiot! :confused:

I said that Leak was not a Harvin 'quality' player, ("Leak was not a Percy Harvin"). I said nothing about how long they played together. The roster from 2003-06 shows the 2003-06 talent, as does the players drafted from those years.
BTW, how will Trask have better talent than Leak, when you claim that Mc-staff are such chitty recruiters? ---- BOOM! o_O

All 4 of UF"s ship RB's were brought in by Mc-staff, that group that can't recruit. :rolleyes:
They also got TE Camrin and the #2 TE-H in the 2017 class.
And Callaway and Cleveland and Hammond, and Swain, and Wells, and Massey, and in 2017 Green, but they still can't recruit any quality. ----- jus-damn! :cool:

Mc-staff's recruiting in their first 14 months on the job, following the musclecramp's fiasco.
The Def. was good, it was the Off. needed the most help, and so they got it. Now I believe that they can begin to recruit in a more balanced way.

Recruits - 4-5 Stars (taken from their highest ranking site).
Others (haters & trolls) are free to post their lowest ranking if they wish.

#1 OT Martez Ivey *****
#1 RB Mark Thompson *****

-------

WR Antonio Callaway ****
OC/OG Tyler Jordan ****
RB Jordan Scarlett ****
RB Jordan Cronkrite ****
RB D'Anfernee McGriff **** (deferred to JuCo, but says he'll return)
TE Camrin Knight ****
WR Tyrie Cleveland ****
WR Dre Massey ****
WR Freddie Swain ****
WR Josh Hammond ****
WR Rick Wells ****
RB Lamical Perine **** (Saban attempted to flip)

QB Feleipe Franks ****
QB Kyle Trask *** (but as good as a 5 star per Mc-Nuss, out-performed 4 star Franks)
========

#2 DE CeCe Jefferson *****
#2 DE Antonneous Clayton *****
------

CB Chauncey Gardner II ****
S Quincy Lenton ****
DE Jordan Smith ****
DE Jachai Polite ****
LB Vosean Joseph ****
LB Jeremiah Moon **** (Saban attempted to flip)
============

Plus I really believe that several of the 2-3 stars will eventually play at a 4 star level. They had to take some 'project' types to begin with, but overall they look like good quality people to me.

The 2017 Class has 7 verbals, 5 are 4 star ESPN Top 300's.
The other two are 3 star 350 pound DT's, and one's a ready to play JuCo.

I don't disagree with you as much as you think. I hate reaches in a year where all that is talked about is how "small" this class will be. In defense of Mac, the one position he cannot wait for all studs and come up empty is DT. I am still not sold this kid is worthy or that DT is the right position to take a JUCO as we need that spot to be filled for the long term, but time will tell. I hope the remainder of the class is filled out with elite players, we cannot fall further behind the Bama and FSU's of the world.
The thing about most(not all) JUCO players is that they usually enroll early and are one spring ahead of most incoming signees. That's always a positive. I don't mind plugging the DL holes with a JUCO or two along with a legit under the radar player(not a "project" player) then go relentless after the top ranked players regardless of commitment or not to other schools. Do that and have some back up plans.

On the RB Thompson, I say he has DeShawn Wynn type production. That isn't great but isnt shabby.

You can't judge a coach after 1 season...except if you've already declared he's gonna be our best coach since Spurrier and lead us to our next title, as some declared during the season. Ain't it funny how that works?

I say that as someone who agrees you shouldn't make definitive judgements about a coach after 1 season, but you can't have it both ways. If you really believe that, then how are some so convinced Mac's the guy after that same 1 season? Malzahn looked like a stud after 1 season too, anybody want him?

He's been here for one year and he is a mark Richt without the recruiting? You're right, he clearly hasn't accomplished enough in one season and two recruiting cycles.

The fact that he didn't win a national championship in his first year with the offense Muschamp left him is pretty damning.

Yea, Michi sometimes has me scratching my head too. But in fairness to him, I guess I would also be miserable if I had to live in Michigan.

You can't judge a coach after 1 season...except if you've already declared he's gonna be our best coach since Spurrier and lead us to our next title, as some declared during the season. Ain't it funny how that works?

I say that as someone who agrees you shouldn't make definitive judgements about a coach after 1 season, but you can't have it both ways. If you really believe that, then how are some so convinced Mac's the guy after that same 1 season? Malzahn looked like a stud after 1 season too, anybody want him?

Same people annointing him are also making Trask the next Danny W before his first game day, tells ya something.

Mac is a little different. Chump basically had the all in, he wears orange and blue therefore is great crew and the crew who never bought in from day one.

Mac is more, season one was good and he has a plan but questions still need to be answered. A lot more middle ground on Mac than I saw from Chump. I don't think you can argue that Mac has a plan. I don't necessarily like it and I am one who has concern over his recruiting, but he is further ahead than Chump. I also believe year 2 on-field will not match year one.

Agreed. One year and one complete recruiting cycle are too few data points to make any definitive statements. Hell, I am not sure two years is enough time. For example, most of us that were not big fans of the Muschamp hire were perfectly willing to change our minds after year two. Sadly that turned out to be a mirage.

Reactions: oozie7
Mac for me is pretty simple.

Clearly has a plan for the entire organization, seems to be a pretty good gameday guy (I'd say really good except in some areas), and gets the big picture. His recruiting to date has been mediocre IMO, and not because he doesn't have enough stars, but because we've been unbalanced in some areas and whiffed completely in others. If Mac was recruiting like Zook right now, I'd have zero doubt he's gonna be the guy. But as is, the recruiting leaves me in the middle. Because even though he's good on gameday he's gonna need the talent. And we have only brought it in in spurts through his first two classes (RB, WR, etc.)

Same people annointing him are also making Trask the next Danny W before his first game day, tells ya something.

Mac is a little different. Chump basically had the all in, he wears orange and blue therefore is great crew and the crew who never bought in from day one.

Mac is more, season one was good and he has a plan but questions still need to be answered. A lot more middle ground on Mac than I saw from Chump. I don't think you can argue that Mac has a plan. I don't necessarily like it and I am one who has concern over his recruiting, but he is further ahead than Chump. I also believe year 2 on-field will not match year one.

At worst, this year will be equal to last year. We still have elite frontline talent on defense, and the offense should be better as we have more weapons. It all hinges on the o-line though.

Plus our schedule isn't every good, objectively. Our OOC slate is awful and a lot of the teams on our schedule are rebuilding big time.

UMASS
UK
North Texas
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
LSU
Mizzou
UGA
Arkansas
South Carolina
Presbyterian
FSU

Umass, North Texas, and Presbyterian are all guaranteed wins, so we're already at 3. UK, Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, and Arkansas are all rebuilding. That should be 5 more wins so now we're at 8 wins.

Tennessee, UGA, LSU, and FSU IMO are the only toss-ups. All we need to do is split those four to get to 10 wins. Even going 1-3 we likely have another 9-3 season, which is basically what we did Year 1. I can't see year 2 being any worse.

Mac for me is pretty simple.

Clearly has a plan for the entire organization, seems to be a pretty good gameday guy (I'd say really good except in some areas), and gets the big picture. His recruiting to date has been mediocre IMO, and not because he doesn't have enough stars, but because we've been unbalanced in some areas and whiffed completely in others. If Mac was recruiting like Zook right now, I'd have zero doubt he's gonna be the guy. But as is, the recruiting leaves me in the middle. Because even though he's good on gameday he's gonna need the talent. And we have only brought it in in spurts through his first two classes (RB, WR, etc.)
I somewhat agree with the recruiting criticism. But would point out that one full recruiting cycle is a pretty small sample size too. People that are getting all in a panic about the 2017 class are doing so waaayy too early imo.

Pretty dumb comment after just 1 season. Did you make the same statement after Meyer lost 3 games his first season at UF and didn't win the SEC East?
Probably not...Meyer's bump class was epic. No reasonable person would make that comparison.

Optimistic Gator fans ruin your life.

When we were on the other side of this, dominating FSU in recruiting and on the field, their optimistic fans didn't bother me at all, they amused me to no end. I think the same is likely true of the Noles that are on here. I bet they all LOVE listening to us right now.

Reactions: TNole902
Tennessee, UGA, LSU, and FSU IMO are the only toss-ups. All we need to do is split those four to get to 10 wins. Even going 1-3 we likely have another 9-3 season, which is basically what we did Year 1. I can't see year 2 being any worse.

The UF opponent will be favored in all of those games....UF will be double digit dogs to FSU. I am not sure I would call those toss up games.

Tap your heels together three times and repeat that to yourself.

Urban Meyer (twice), Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Pete Carroll...pretty much says it all. Championships were won with their bump classes dominating the roster or key players were from their bump classes putting them over the top (i.e. Florida team was very talented, but they don't win without Harvin and Tebow)....but continue to put your head in the sand...it is your prerogative.

Urban Meyer (twice), Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Pete Carroll...pretty much says it all. Championships were won with their bump classes dominating the roster or key players were from their bump classes putting them over the top (i.e. Florida team was very talented, but they don't win without Harvin and Tebow)....but continue to put your head in the sand...it is your prerogative.

And the reasons are obvious, because by year three you are who you are and recruits see for themselves. So if you aren't in the thick of it by year three, elite recruits aren't going to buy your BS. Simple.

At worst, this year will be equal to last year. We still have elite frontline talent on defense, and the offense should be better as we have more weapons. It all hinges on the o-line though.

Plus our schedule isn't every good, objectively. Our OOC slate is awful and a lot of the teams on our schedule are rebuilding big time.

UMASS
UK
North Texas
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
LSU
Mizzou
UGA
Arkansas
South Carolina
Presbyterian
FSU

Umass, North Texas, and Presbyterian are all guaranteed wins, so we're already at 3. UK, Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, and Arkansas are all rebuilding. That should be 5 more wins so now we're at 8 wins.

Don't book the Arky win so quick

Nobody called McElwain the next Meyer or Spurrier. In case you hadnt figured it out yet there isn't too many coaches in the history of the game as good as those 2. Many fans took Spurrier and Meyer for granted and it shows just how people talk on this message board.

It's dumb for anybody to make a definitive statement one way or another.

Again did people around here think Meyer was the next Richt after his 9-3 season at UF and didn't win the East?

Again did people around here think Meyer was the next Richt after his 9-3 season at UF and didn't win the East?

I remember being concerned that he was loading up on talent after that 9-3 season....and though I thought it was a 50-50 chance that Tebow would do much at the college level, I was pretty certain Harvin was going to be a major problem. Its amusing that for many the shoe doesn't see to be on the other foot....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT