ADVERTISEMENT

Vols Fire Basketball Coach Tyndall

Originally posted by TennesseeGator:

Originally posted by ZZ1059:
It is because of his issues at Southern Miss not UT
Yeah but they knew his baggage before hiring. Dumb hire if you ask me. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch though. Karma.
This. Dave Hart should take some heat for this.

Originally posted by bradleygator:
He seemed like such a weird little dude.
Hasn't every Vols hire seemed somewhat off kilter over the past few hires? The truck driver Wade Houston seemed like a love child of Steve Harvey and George Jefferson. They had that one guy who skipped down during the middle of the night(he pulled a Kiffin before Kiffin) They had that Buzz dude. Pearl could coach but always seems off kilter a tad. They had a coach named Conzo...with that kind of name, nuff said...then they hired this little Spanky looking dude.

They fired the wrong guy. It's the football coach that they need to get rid of. Football pays the bills not basketball and they have been flat out ignoring their football team since they canned Phil Fulmer, saddling it with losers and proven goofballs who have no business on a sports sideline.

Originally posted by grommit:
They fired the wrong guy. It's the football coach that they need to get rid of. Football pays the bills not basketball and they have been flat out ignoring their football team since they canned Phil Fulmer, saddling it with losers and proven goofballs who have no business on a sports sideline.
Sargent Carter is not pleased with this take and says drop and give him 20.

Originally posted by GatorGray:

Originally posted by grommit:
Sargent Carter is not pleased with this take and says drop and give him 20.
MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT!

Looks like they're hiring Barnes from Texas. It would be a good hire for them. He gets players and gets to the tournament every year.

Originally posted by PacoGator19:
Barnes isn't a good coach.
He has over 600 victories, 21 NCAA Tourney appearances (including 16 of the 17 years he was at UTx), three Sweet Sixteens two Elite Eights and a Final Four and he isn't a good coach?

Originally posted by 46885:
He's the done less with more coach, he's a huge underachiever.
At this point Tennessee will gladly take an underachiever. When you've blown repeated coaching hires year after year standards and expectations are drastically recalibrated. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of rednecks.

200.gif

Yeah he's a bad coach. Lots of guys go to the tournament 16 out of 17 years. They're everywhere. Shuttling through guys like aldridge, durant, augustin. Just terrible.

Yeah he's a bad coach. Lots of guys go to the tournament 16 out of 17 years. They're everywhere. Shuttling through guys like aldridge, durant, augustin. Just terrible.
You do realize that is a better rate than what Billy has done at UF, correct?. He is a likely future Hall of Fame coach.

He has over 600 victories, 21 NCAA Tourney appearances (including 16 of the 17 years he was at UTx), three Sweet Sixteens two Elite Eights and a Final Four and he isn't a good coach?
He was really good early on, but he's been trending downward in a major way. He was an ace recruiter, but once the talent stopped flowing in he was exposed as a bad X and O guy and couldn't win anymore. He has every resource possible at Texas and hasn't won in years, which is why they fired him. If he couldn't win big at Texas idk why Tennessee thinks he'll win big for them.

Originally posted by oozie7:

He was really good early on, but he's been trending downward in a major way. He was an ace recruiter, but once the talent stopped flowing in he was exposed as a bad X and O guy and couldn't win anymore. He has every resource possible at Texas and hasn't won in years, which is why they fired him. If he couldn't win big at Texas idk why Tennessee thinks he'll win big for them.
BINGO. He's not that good of a head coach. He had the whole state of Texas to himself. It's going to be harder at Tennessee.

He was exactly like Mack Brown...

The funny thing I read before he even got fired was the writers talking about how they knew gamblers that would miss fading him at Texas lol.

Slight difference between Texas football and basketball. Quick name all the coaches who have done more with Texas basketball than barnes.

I think what people will see is what someone can and will do with it now... What has he ever done in the tournament? He's basically just like Frank Beamer at this point, all the good years were far gone and he was there on the past alone. That fact that he was fired is basically illustrating everything..

and Bama is going hard after Wichitas coach, hell he should take that Texas job if it's still open at this point unless he wants to wait for a top 15 or better job in a year or two.

Slight difference between Texas football and basketball. Quick name all the coaches who have done more with Texas basketball than barnes.
Well of course there's a difference, Texas football>>>> Texas basketball. Buuut, they poured a crazy amount of money into that program so it's not as if the basketball team was being neglected. I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's definitely trending down. He started off on fire and it's been all downhill for the last half decade plus.

Originally posted by oozie7:

Well of course there's a difference, Texas football>>>> Texas basketball. Buuut, they poured a crazy amount of money into that program so it's not as if the basketball team was being neglected. I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's definitely trending down. He started off on fire and it's been all downhill for the last half decade plus.
He is still a very good coach. You don't make the tournament that many times by being 'not a good coach'. I would just be concerned about his age (e.g. how many more years will he coach and how well will he recruit). Ideally, you want a guy that will come in and be there for at least a decade, preferably more. Given that, with all of the turmoil at UT lately, I understand their need to get a bit more of a sure thing vs. taking a shot on a young up and comer.

So Shaka Smart took that Texas job.... wow they got a good one

Im glad he didn't come into the SEC

Yeah Shaka smart was a good hire. If Billy ever left he would have been near the top of my list.

I would have said the same thing about Anthony Grant three years ago. It will be interesting to see what smart does coming out of vcu. Grant should go back there.

Yeah Shaka smart was a good hire. If Billy ever left he would have been near the top of my list.

I would have said the same thing about Anthony Grant three years ago. It will be interesting to see what smart does coming out of vcu. Grant should go back there.
Happened really quickly. Too quickly to not have been a done deal before Barnes got the boot. Hate it when people get done like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT