ADVERTISEMENT

USCe website states the case for Will Muschamp

TJtheGator

Gator Great
Jun 4, 2001
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Gamecocks-Search-The-case-for-Will-Muschamp-41662660

I found this quote very interesting:

Where Pease failed Muschamp is in the quarterback recruiting department. He signed two players in Skyler Mornhinweg and Max Staver- who could not play dead in a movie and when Driskel got hurt, it derailed any chance the Gators had to sustain the mass injuries they had in 2013.

My heartfelt condolences to USCe fans. No that isn't sarcasm. That article basically blames everyone but Muschamp for his tenure at UF. Other than the rash of injuries in 2013, everything else is his fault. Hiring Weis and Pease, not having a WR coach worth a darn for 4 years, and failing to recognize that "Hey, I don't know jack squat about offense, perhaps I need to talk to a lot of people about who actually know something so that I can surround myself will them so that perhaps we can score some points around here cause you know what, attempting to win football games 3-0 just isn't that good of an idea."

Ray Tanner had longer than any other AD to find a coach (with the exception of USCw), hired a search firm, and if the consensus is that Will Muschamp is the way to go then something went very wrong there. Holtz and Spurrier were proven winners. Muschamp is a proven failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoviG8r
That article is typical of so many articles on the pay sites. It is written to get the fans' hopes up so they buy memberships. It has very little basis in reality.

They're focusing on recruiting as the basis for this hire. Even though I hate this logic, I can see it be used in the same manner we hired Zook. SOS quit unexpectedly, your #1 and #2 guys turn you down, it's already January, so you need to hire a "stop the bleeding" coach who will stock you with talent until you find a better coach in 2-3 years. Zook did this wonderfully for Urban.

SOS quit after 6 games, Tanner had every other school beat to the coaching searches, you're not paying SOS an insane buyout where you need to go cheap on the next coach, so there was absolutely no excuse for this. USC should have contacted Justin Fuente and Tom Herman IMMEDIATELY. Instead they hired a search firm, and I have no idea who they searched, vetted, contacted, or recommended, but if your end product is Will Muschamp, someone F'd up royally. There is absolutely no way in hell Tom Herman can turn down $3.5-4 million at USCe to stay at Houston. USCe had a full 3 weeks ahead of VT to contact Fuente and get him signed. Even lesser choices like Dino Barbers would've been better. Even a hail mary to Bronco Mendenhall would've been better. No way he chooses UVA over USCe if the Gamecocks are serious and offer the same $. It just amazes me how other schools with lesser time and less attractive jobs lured better guys.

If this truly is a "stop the bleeding" hire and Tanner's only purpose with Champ is to stockpile talent and hire a new coach in 3 years, it better be a Saban clone or else USC is in for a decade of mediocrity.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Had Spurrier quit at the end of 2014, we would have hired him then. I'm glad we waited a year as I think he has likely learned a few things. From what I am hearing he is putting together a dynamite staff so that eliminates one concern. Has a hot shot QB coming in as well. There are mixed reactions but I like the hire, personally.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Had Spurrier quit at the end of 2014, we would have hired him then. I'm glad we waited a year as I think he has likely learned a few things. From what I am hearing he is putting together a dynamite staff so that eliminates one concern. Has a hot shot QB coming in as well. There are mixed reactions but I like the hire, personally.

We were sold the same bullcrap when he came to UF. Weis as OC? Former HC and NFL coordinator with Super Bowl rings?!?! Look how that turned out.

There is no denying he will put together a good defensive staff. The man knows defense. Sadly that's where it stops. He is clueless about offense. And not clueless to the point where he can't run an effective offense, but clueless to where he couldn't spot a person who knew offense even if he attended an offensive football coaches' convention. His only non-questionable offensive coach hire at UF was Summers for the OL. Every other hire flamed out horrendously or was a square peg in a round hole.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Muschamp fooled us with Weis, Pease, Roper, Hill, Joker, etc. etc. etc.

When UF hired him, it was similar to the folks who were boarding the Titanic before it departed Southampton. But in your case, it would be like boarding the ship AFTER it hit the iceberg.

Think of it this way Gamecock fans:

Muschamp is a former UGA DB, great DC

Kirby Smart is a former UGA DB, great DC

They both played for the same coach (Goof) at UGA.

They both come from the Nick Saban coaching tree.

UGA would rather hire an unproven HC in Smart, than Muschamp who was HC for 4 years and actually beat UGA (last year's UF-UGA game is one of the reasons Richt was canned).

That says it all right there.

He has trashed UF, then Auburn and will now do it to USC. If you connect the dots on a map, Athens would be at the center of that semi-circle. My guess is they will call their agent home after this gig...unless GTech is brain dead, too.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Good luck but he sucks. He had a good staff at UF as well. He also had UFs recruiting grounds. Now you take a crappy coach to go with an already average program and it's back to the bottom of the SEC East for USCe for as long as he is there.

He has trashed UF, then Auburn and will now do it to USC. If you connect the dots on a map, Athens would be at the center of that semi-circle. My guess is they will call their agent home after this gig...unless GTech is brain dead, too.
Whatever UGA is paying Agent Muschamp, it is not enough

Jennifer Coney, the mother of No. 1 overall recruit Rashan Gary, said Sunday while she “loves Auburn,” she isn’t yet sure how much of a factor the Tigers will be moving forward with her son, a 5-star defensive tackle at Paramus Catholic (N.J.).

The reason: How outgoing Tigers defensive coordinator Will Muschamp handled his departure, she told AuburnUndercover.

Last Monday, Coach (Lance Thompson and Coach Muschamp came to the house. I was hearing all kinds of coaching things so I asked them,” Coney recalled. "Coach Thompson said he loves Auburn and plans on being there. Coach Muschamp said the same thing. He said he had put his family through a lot. He had moved nine times. He had moved his kids from school to school and wanted some stability. He said he promised his son stability through high school. He knew he wasn’t going anywhere — Auburn was where he’s going to stay. Of course, that was a lie."

She continued, “Now I know, If you get a head coaching position, of course you might leave. But he should have been honest. He should have said, ‘Well, if I get the opportunity.’ I would respect that. I would have understood. It’s a job for them. But he didn’t. Muschamp is a liar. A pure liar. … If I had his number I’d call him."

According to Coney, she spoke via telephone with Tigers coach Gus Malzahn on Sunday

Haha!

Maybe Rutgers can swoop in. Supposedly, NJ is the per-capita most talent rich state, in terms of the number of 3 star + recruits. Why does Rutgers have such a hard time keeping people in state.

It's not like they are the new kid on the block. They've been around since the 1700s! George Washington could have played for them.

Cock Fans on the news:

chicken.gif

Help make Texas the hot mess it ia right now too

You forgot Texas. Left that program in shambles too. Champ is very overrated as a DC (see Ga Southern)

Reactions: GatorGray

Not impressed with the staff. T-Rob is the only big get here. Roper might be a good OC, but with Muschamp calling the shots, you'll be playing dive left and dive right football. Bentley is a guy with a shady background and big political move by Muschamp to try and win over some HS coaches. Not sure about the lattimore move either. Sounds a little too much like politic'n.

They're focusing on recruiting as the basis for this hire. Even though I hate this logic, I can see it be used in the same manner we hired Zook. SOS quit unexpectedly, your #1 and #2 guys turn you down, it's already January, so you need to hire a "stop the bleeding" coach who will stock you with talent until you find a better coach in 2-3 years. Zook did this wonderfully for Urban.

SOS quit after 6 games, Tanner had every other school beat to the coaching searches, you're not paying SOS an insane buyout where you need to go cheap on the next coach, so there was absolutely no excuse for this. USC should have contacted Justin Fuente and Tom Herman IMMEDIATELY. Instead they hired a search firm, and I have no idea who they searched, vetted, contacted, or recommended, but if your end product is Will Muschamp, someone F'd up royally. There is absolutely no way in hell Tom Herman can turn down $3.5-4 million at USCe to stay at Houston. USCe had a full 3 weeks ahead of VT to contact Fuente and get him signed. Even lesser choices like Dino Barbers would've been better. Even a hail mary to Bronco Mendenhall would've been better. No way he chooses UVA over USCe if the Gamecocks are serious and offer the same $. It just amazes me how other schools with lesser time and less attractive jobs lured better guys.

If this truly is a "stop the bleeding" hire and Tanner's only purpose with Champ is to stockpile talent and hire a new coach in 3 years, it better be a Saban clone or else USC is in for a decade of mediocrity.

It's really not that good a job. Consider that SC has a population less than that of the Atlanta metro area. Your cross-state rival is historically better than you and owns in-state recruiting. You have very little prestige to offer.

Haha!

Maybe Rutgers can swoop in. Supposedly, NJ is the per-capita most talent rich state, in terms of the number of 3 star + recruits. Why does Rutgers have such a hard time keeping people in state.

It's not like they are the new kid on the block. They've been around since the 1700s! George Washington could have played for them.

Ever been to Rutgers? One fugly campus.

Well then, you all can count us an a W every year, right? I get it. You don't like him. :eek: He's got a second chance to be a head coach at an SEC school. If he doesn't apply the lessons he's learned then so be it. It will be a bad hire. If not, then it could be terrific. I think it will be the latter but to each his own.

Well then, you all can count us an a W every year, right? I get it. You don't like him. :eek: He's got a second chance to be a head coach at an SEC school. If he doesn't apply the lessons he's learned then so be it. It will be a bad hire. If not, then it could be terrific. I think it will be the latter but to each his own.

You'll find out.

Terrific?? Really? You had Spurrier and Holtz and still never won an SEC title. In fact you've only won 1 SEC east title in your history. Even Mizzou has won more SEC east titles.

Unless you think Muschamp is better than Spurrier or Holtz? LOL

You guys will be looking for a new coach in 4-5 years.

Terrific?? Really? You had Spurrier and Holtz and still never won an SEC title. In fact you've only won 1 SEC east title in your history. Even Mizzou has won more SEC east titles.

Unless you think Muschamp is better than Spurrier or Holtz? LOL

You guys will be looking for a new coach in 4-5 years.

On the bright side, they might learn what a midline is.

Reactions: Weil Hall QB
Looking like the 90's again.

Bama dominating the west with the occasional Auburn or Arkansas sliding in. LSU forgot how to beat Alabama. Mississippi schools will be pretty but still choke. Doubt A&M breaks thru.

Florida and Tennessee will battle for the East. Vandy will be Vandy. UK will be UK with a punchers chance like the Mumme days. UGA will have bright spots here and there but come up short. Those clowns in the northern show me state had their chances when UF and UT were down but came up short.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
I've never been a big fan of defensive minded coaches being head coaches.

Oh please. You can not honestly think this is a good hire. You can lie to yourself, but deep down you have to know what an absolute pathetic hire it is

That does not bother me too much. What I dislike is hiring a coach that has a history of failure as a HC. Second only to that on my dislike scale is hiring a HC with no prior HC experience.

Like the hate for a coach that tripled our national titles in football I wonder why the obsession and hate for one that lead us to no shiny hardware is the same. A def. guy that does not seem to be able to run a program like Fla is not the be all end all of bad coaching. We all felt if he got a GD offensive coordinator and QB and left them alone good things might happen. Nothing remotely happened like that so we thankfully found this grown up to run our program. USCe has great fans and long suffering fans, SOS gave them some good seasons and upped their expectations. This hire does not seem that good but if you could all the read the future you would be rich. Many people have the capacity to learn from mistakes. Many people are optimists in this dreary world of "we are all doomed, buy more guns and kill all muslims" so let the cocks have their try without all the drama. Like that song said..........Let it Go.

I think most people generally feel that way (including me). However, there's no shortage of defensive-oriented coaches having success as HC. Shoot, the guys most consider to be the top coaches in college football (Saban) and the NFL (Belichick) cut their teeth as defensive assistants.

I think most people generally feel that way (including me). However, there's no shortage of defensive-oriented coaches having success as HC. Shoot, the guys most consider to be the top coaches in college football (Saban) and the NFL (Belichick) cut their teeth as defensive assistants.
Yea, no kidding

It amazes me at how optimistic the USCe fans are with chump.. I feel bad for them I really do. Sad went to the SC board to warn them, but I think they are already too far gone. :(

That does not bother me too much. What I dislike is hiring a coach that has a history of failure as a HC. Second only to that on my dislike scale is hiring a HC with no prior HC experience.
Put Zook on that list. He was similar to Muschamp but a better recruiter on offense. The play calling however reflected his love to play close to the vest and try and win close games in the 4th quarter. Typical NFL mentality that will bite you in the ass. I'll always love Spurrier's first half philosophy crush your enemies, see them driven before you and listen to the lamentation of their women. That breaks the will of the opposing teams. Occasionally it did make him too impatient, but it worked 90% of the time.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT