ADVERTISEMENT

UrbanGator's Spring Football Review (3-22-08)

UrbanGator41

Swamp Thing
Jun 8, 2006
UG had a long night at GatorCity last night, but I toughed one out for the team. It wasn't too hard to find the motivation to get up and go to practice, as it was the first day in full pads. This is what I saw.

-The best part about today's practice-

The thing that impressed me the most today was the overall attitude of the team. Right from the start they were attacking each other like savage beasts in the Circle of Life. For those who don't know this is where the entire team gathers round and the coaches call out matchups. It is very uptempo and fast paced. It differs from other drills because the players are supposed to lock up and not seperate from each other but drive one another back. They keep score for O and D. Carl Moore just destroyed someone, he drove him back about 4 yards and then smashed him to the ground and the dude's helmet came flying off. Urban came running over yelling like he was gonna be mad at Carl, and then last second he gave him a high five and said"Welcome to Florida football baby" It was incredible, gave me goosebumps, Things like that is what seperated Urban from the rest. About 3/4's of the way in after a Torrey Davis matchup(which he won) a fight broke out.It looked like the whole team was fighting. Some people might post on here that they were dissapointed about this, but not me. Things like that are an important part of football. Tensions are very high because it was the first day in pads. A team that is going to make a national championship run is going to have to have an edge. This was a balls to the wall competition where the score was kept. When I used to get in fights with teammates, we always made up in the locker room and became closer. We are not a milk and cookie kindof team. We don't have players looking to hold onto mamas apron. (the ones that want to usually end up transferring, screw em) I am not saying fights are the greatest thing in the world but if one didn't happen wouldn't you have more reason for concern? This team has an attitude. And I think that you have to in order to win Championships. This might be a reason why we have the arrest trouble. Now I am once again I'm not saying that getting in trouble with the law is ok. But ask yourself this,Who Would you rather have on the field ,fourth and game, they are gonna run it. Would you rather have the sweetheart that sits in his dorm room writing poetry jump up and stop the run? Or would you rather have a bad mammajamma who has an edge to him? I just think that all these troubles might just be a way of keeping that edge, the fighting, the late night behavior. It has to have limits, obviously we dont want vigilantes running around. All I am trying to say is that football is a tough game on a person, physically and mentally. They live a differnt life than us. If you don't like it, then don't come to practice becaue it is intense and in your face. This game is not for the weak.

-Worst part about Practice-

100% with out a doubt, The quarterback to center exchange. It was horrible, almost unlike anything I have ever seen. No excuse for what I saw today. Being an ex-center I hold this part of the game to a higher standard. And the main culpret was The Pouncey center. Our 2nd and 3rd teamers didnt have near as hard of a time. This is what you get when you put someone at center who has never played it and ask him to shotgun snap it 96% of the time. I know he will get better, I am counting on it because you couldn't get much worse. I am just real worried that this problem will resurface when we want it to least, In the fourth quarter of a close game. This must be fixed, and fixed now.

-Random Player Thoughts-
QB play
John Brantley- His mechanics were flawless today. Didn't see any of the throwing off the back foot.

Cam Newton- He got straight jacked up MNF style. Ahmad Black came flying in on Goal line and just laid him out. The entire D came running on the field like crazed maniacs (UGA throwback unfortunaly)

Tim Tebow- we know he is the man

RB play
The group looked good. Moody had the best run of the day IMO, he has this nasty stop and start slashing running style. It is somewhat unorthodox, I guess stemming from his superior accerlation. The whole team and coaches love Rainey. Every time he does anything they go nuts. Kehstahn, who was good at times, had a goal line fumble, which nothing that happens on the team makes me madder than when he fumbles. After which Dorian picked up his shoe(which fell off during the play) and just chucked it 30 yds down field. I was happy. Mon is gonna be good. BJ, more of the same.

Oline and Dline Play
Nothing stood out too much to me for O and D line play. I was more caught up in the scrimmage being the first day of pads and all to divert my foucus on specific players up front. I will in the future. However, Jason Watkins was the MVP of the biggins today. He whipped a lot of people. I didn't see Patchan get in on Goalline even with the Third team. J wilson just kindof hangs back and talks to the trainer and injured players. More to come on these positions later in the week.

LB play
Up and down play for all of them. Spikes missed Kestahn on play one of the inside drills. Doe looked real good today, he seems to always be in the right position. Lo Edwards looks real lost at MLB sometimes. Then sometimes he makes a plsy. Didnt see Beal do anything, but I couldof missed it.

DB play
I am starting to come around on WPL. I personally don't see him as a starting CB at UF. But he tackles well and covers pretty good as long as it s not a deep ball. I think he would be a great nickel back, or some kind of hybrid rover/db/olb. I guess only time will tell.

Thats it from me. As practice develops I will be more indepth on players. As I said I was just kindof caught up in watching the scrimmage and everything else, to take real good notes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News