ADVERTISEMENT

UF-fsu game set for 7:30 PM

Is that all FSU can claim prior to Bowden? It is not called "The FSU award for bestwide receiver."

Well, the Heisman certainly isn't called the Spurrier.

So let's see. UF had a couple good (ranked) seasons in the 60's and a Heisman winner. FSU also had a few good seasons (ranked) in the 60's and an entire award named after a player.

That's about it for both teams prior to the 80's.

So what did UF accomplish that was so darn earth shattering prior to Spurrier (aside from sanctions under Pell)?

Personally, I'm not sure why you guys are so offended by identifying the point when your school became relevant. For FSU it was Bowden...for UF it was Spurrier. I think its pretty admirable to be able to associate success with someone.

Well, the Heisman certainly isn't called the Spurrier.

Why is that relevant? Terrible comparison

So let's see. UF had a couple good (ranked) seasons in the 60's and a Heisman winner. FSU also had a few good seasons (ranked) in the 60's and an entire award named after a player.

That's about it for both teams prior to the 80's.

So what did UF accomplish that was so darn earth shattering prior to Spurrier (aside from sanctions under Pell)?

Florida NEVER considered dropping football.

Personally, I'm not sure why you guys are so offended by identifying the point when your school became relevant. For FSU it was Bowden...for UF it was Spurrier. I think its pretty admirable to be able to associate success with someone.

Stupididy offends all people of intellect.

Please enlighten us on the when (prior to Spurrier) UF became relevant in football. Examples of this would be SEC titles, National Championships, top 5 rankings, etc.
Your first point was that FSU was nationally relevant because of the Biletnikoff Award. I questioned that. You then tried to use a staw man with Spurrier and the Heisman. That was stupid.

I never said UF was nationally relevant prior to Spurrier. I opined that compared to FSU, it was more relevant to the football world though. My sole reasoning was that FSU seriously contemplated dropping football, right before they hired Bowden. You have done nothing to refute that point, even though you asked us to proved evidence of that truth.

But since you asked, Florida WAS ranked #1 during 1984. And ended the year ranked #1 by several ranking agencies, but none of the most important ones. Plus, Florida DID win a SEC Title in 1984. The SEC awarded the title to Florida and gave the program a trophy. To be sure, it was later vacated, but it was won. And finally, Florida had the best SEC records in 1985, even though the Gators were not eligible to win the award

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorNation79
Your first point was that FSU was nationally relevant because of the Biletnikoff Award. I questioned that. You then tried to use a staw man with Spurrier and the Heisman. That was stupid.

I never said FSU was more/less relevant than UF. My opinion is that they were pretty much equal prior to the 80's. FSU had some good seasons in the 60's (even had an award named after a star player). UF had some good seasons in the 60's and had a Heisman winner (yes, I was being snarky with the comment they didn't name the award after him). In the end, the accomplishments of both teams prior to the 80's was about even.

But since you asked, Florida WAS ranked #1 during 1984. And ended the year ranked #1 by several ranking agencies, but none of the most important ones. Plus, Florida DID win a SEC Title in 1984. The SEC awarded the title to Florida and gave the program a trophy. To be sure, it was later vacated, but it was won. And finally, Florida had the best SEC records in 1985, even though the Gators were not eligible to win the award.

You do realize FSU's 1979 and 1980 seasons were on par with UF's 1984 season, right?

Would UF achieved the success in 1984 had Pell not been a cheater? Either way, I guess you could say Pell put UF on the map and that precedes Spurrier.

So, in summary FSU vs UF (since 1980) are 18-18-1 over all and 12-12-1 when ranked. Each school has 3 National Championships and each have 3 Heisman winners (UF has one prior to the 60's). Aside from head-to-head prior to the 80's, I'd say both schools are about equal in football.

I never said FSU was more/less relevant than UF. My opinion is that they were pretty much equal prior to the 80's.

Nope

You do realize FSU's 1979 and 1980 seasons were on par with UF's 1984 season, right?

Where you ranked number one, ever at that time? By any ranking?

Would UF achieved the success in 1984 had Pell not been a cheater? Either way, I guess you could say Pell put UF on the map and that precedes Spurrier.

Hey, let's invite Mr Straw Man to the Red Herring Cafe!

Where you ranked number one, ever at that time? By any ranking?

UF Finished the 1984 season ranked #3. FSU finished the 1980 season ranked #4 (went into its bowl game at #2) and #6 in 1979 (went into its bowl game at #4).

In 104 years of UF football, they have finished the season ranked 29 times. First time ranked was #17 in 1950 and finished the season unranked. Highest final AP ranking prior to the 1983 season was #14. 1983 UF finished #6.

In 62 years of FSU football, they have finished the season ranked 31 times. First time ranked was #10 in 1964 and finished the season unranked.

Now, I will say that throughout the late 50's and 60's Woodruff fielded some very good UF teams. Even the coaches who followed showed promise during the season, but seemed to rarely be able to put it all together until Pell (in the 80's).

Peterson put together some good teams for FSU, but not nearly as successful as Woodruff did for UF. My contention remains that FSU wasn't squat until the late 70's (might as well be the 80's) and the same holds true for UF. Bowden put FSU on the map and had FSU ranked at some point during the season every single year except his first and a Bowden led team finished ranked every year but seven. A Spurrier led team finished ranked EVERY year...Meyer couldn't even claim that.

UF Finished the 1984 season ranked #3. FSU finished the 1980 season ranked #4 (went into its bowl game at #2) and #6 in 1979 (went into its bowl game at #4).

That was not the question I asked. I asked if FSU we ever ranked #1 prior to Florida? A also asked if FSU ever ended the year ranked #1 by any ranking service, prior to Florida's #1 ranking by several ranking services at the end of 1984 (admittedly none of the most important ones)

That was not the question I asked. I asked if FSU we ever ranked #1 prior to Florida? A also asked if FSU ever ended the year ranked #1 by any ranking service, prior to Florida's #1 ranking by several ranking services at the end of 1984 (admittedly none of the most important ones)

The simple answer is, yes, but as you said, they aren't recognized by the NCAA, hence FSU doesn't claim the rankings/championships like Bama does.

#1 1980 - Foundation for the Analysis of Competitions and Tournaments
Soren Sorensen

#1 1987 - Clyde Berryman, Massy Ratings, The Fleming System
#1 1992 - Bob Kirlin, Football by the Numbers, Sagarin Ratings
#1 1994 - Dunkel System
#1 1996 - Alderson System, Nutshell Sports Football Ratings

*FSU also won it's first undisputed National Championship before UF as well in 1993 ;)

1993 National Championship
1st-N-Goal
Angelo Louisa
ARGH Power Ratings
Associated Press
Billingsley Report
Bob Kirlin
Century Football Index
Clyde Berryman
Congrove Computer Rankings
DKC Ratings
Dunkel System