Thoughts of the Day: May 20, 2022

Franz Beard

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2021
By Franz Beard
A few thoughts to jump start your Friday morning:
REPORTS OF THE GATORS’ DEMISE IS OBVIOUSLY EXAGGERATED

Wasn’t it just a month ago that the Florida Gators were doing a dandy impersonation of a dead possum getting picked apart by a half dozen buzzards on the road somewhere between Bronson and Cedar Key? Don’t look now, but those same Gators who seemed destined for a last place finish in the SEC East are 14-14, tied with Georgia and Vanderbilt for second in the division.

The Gators (34-19, 14-14 SEC) have won 11 of their last 13 games after Thursday night’s 14-5 blowout of South Carolina (26-26, 12-16 SEC) at the Condron Family Ballpark. The Gators have transformed from a team that looked like it was praying for the season to hurry up and end into one that no one in his right mind wants to play.

Four baseballs left the yard Thursday night, bringing Florida’s season total to an even 100 home runs, third best in school history. Wyatt Langford, who hit two homers in Tuesday night’s win over Florida State, launched two more Thursday to take over the SEC lead with 21. As he did against FSU, Langford led off the bottom of the first inning with a rocket to dead center field that landed just to the right of the green monster. Also launching the ball out of the yard were freshmen Jac Caglianone (4) and Ty Evans (4).

It was all part of a 16-hit Florida attack that saw all nine starters get at least one base hit. Colby Halter, who has been struggling lately, had three hits to lead the Gators while Langford, Sterlin Thompson, BT Riopelle, Caglionone and Evans each had three. Evans drove in four runs while Caglianone drove in three. Langford, who is working on a 10-game hitting streak, has 21 hits in his last 40 at bats with seven homers and 11 RBI.

Starting pitcher Brandon Sproat (8-4, 3.87 ERA) went 6-1/3 innings to pick up the win. Only two of the four runs Sproat allowed were earned. Over the final 2-2/3 innings, Phil Abner, Blake Purnell and Anthony Ursitti allowed only one hit and one run.

With a win tonight, the Gators can assure themselves of no worse than a break-even season in conference play. If they can manage a sweep with wins tonight and Saturday, the Gators can finish no worse than a second place tie in the SEC East. It was only a month ago that the Gators were 6-12 in conference play having lost five of their last six SEC games.

O’Sullivan is expected to go with righty Brandon Neely (2-1, 3.86 ERA) in game two tonight. First pitch is set for 7 p.m. (SEC Network+).

SEC East: 1. Tennessee (47-7, 23-5 SEC); 2. (Tie) Georgia (35-17, 14-14 SEC), Vanderbilt (34-19, 14-14 SEC) and FLORIDA (34-19, 14-14 SEC); 5. South Carolina (26-26, 12-16 SEC); 6. Kentucky (28-23, 10-17 SEC); 7. Missouri (27-17, 9-19 SEC)
SEC West: 1. (Tie) Arkansas (38-14, 18-10 SEC) and Texas A&M (34-16, 18-10 SEC); 3. Auburn (36-16, 15-11 SEC); 4. LSU (35-18, 15-13 SEC); 5. Ole Miss (31-20, 13-15 SEC); 6. Alabama (27-25, 10-17 SEC); 7. Mississippi State (26-28, 9-19 SEC)

UF SOFTBALL: THE ROAD TO OKIE CITY BEGINS TODAY
The ancient Chinese philosopher Laozi once said, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” It is not quite 1,000 miles from Gainesville to Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City – 971 to be exact – but the journey still begins with that first step, which the 14th-seeded Florida Gators (43-16) will take today when they face Canisius (32-16) at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium in the first round of the Gainesville Regional of the NCAA Softball Tournament (4:30 p.m., ESPN+).

This marks the first time since 2007 that the Gators go into NCAA regional play seeded lower than No. 5, but no matter where they’re seeded it still takes five wins over the next two weekends to advance to Okie City. It takes three wins for the Gators to advance from this regional, which also includes Wisconsin (32-19) and Georgia Tech (37-15). That would get the Gators to a super regional, most likely on the road in Blacksburg against No. 3 seed Virginia Tech (41-7). The only way the Gators would host a super regional would be to win this weekend while Virginia Tech is ousted in its own regional.

Four All-Southeast Region Gators: A week ago, the Southeastern Conference coaches pretty much gave the Gators the cold shoulder when shortstop Skylar Wallace was the only Florida player selected first team All-SEC. Cheyenne Lindsey was a third team selection and Hannah Adams, the best second baseman in the country, only made the All-Defensive team. Obviously, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association sees things a teensy bit differently than Tim Walton’s cousins in the SEC. When the All-Southeast Region team was named Thursday, Wallace and Adams both made first team as did freshman outfielder Kendra Falby. Hightower, Florida’s ace pitcher (16-7, 2.30 ERA) was a third team choice.

UF LACROSSE: GATORS’ SEASON ENDS IN NCAA QUARTERFINALS
Florida’s lacrosse season and 14-game winning streak came to an end Thursday afternoon in the quarter-final round of the NCAA Tournament in College Park when the Gators dropped an 18-5 decision to 2nd-ranked Maryland, 18-5. The Gators finish the season 17-5 but for the 10th straight year they can’t get to the Final Four.

A HILLBILLY STEEL CAGE MATCH … NICK VS. JIMBO, YOU GOTTA LOVE IT
The state of West Virginia hasn’t seen anything like this since the Hatfields and McCoys went at it with a blood feud that lasted 28 years (1863-1891). West Virginia natives Nick Saban (hometown Fairmont) and Jimbo Fisher (hometown Clarksburg) have spent the last 36 hours or so taking shots at each other, Nick saying Jimbo and the Aggies spent millions to land all those dandy recruits, Jimbo saying the accusations are “despicable” and calling Saban a “narcissist,” as if Jimbo even knows what the word means much less how to spell it.

Here is what kicked off the latest flurry that is going to make Texas A&M’s October 8 matchup against Alabama in Tuscaloosa a main event like we haven’t seen in years.

Wednesday night in Birmingham, Nick launches this warning shot across the bow of the Good Ship Aggie: "We were second in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness. We didn't buy one player. I don't know if we're going to be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it."

While he was on a roll, Nick even took on Deion Sanders and Jackson State. Deion and Nick do commercials for AFLAC, not very good ones mind you because they let Deion and Nick be the stars and not the duck, but here goes: “Jackson State paid a guy $1 million last year who was a really good Division I player to come to their school. It was in the paper and they bragged about it. No one did anything about it.”

Thursday, Jimbo responded with a cruise missile of his own directed at Nick on the Paul Finebaum Show: "It’s a shame that we have to do this. It’s really despicable. It’s despicable that somebody can say things about somebody and, more importantly, 17-year-old kids. You're taking shots at 17-year-old kids and their families. That they broke state laws, that we bought every player on this group. We never bought anybody. No rules were broken. Nothing was done wrong … Some people think they’re God. Go dig into how God did his deal. You may find out about a guy, a lot of things you don’t want to know. We build him up to be the czar of football. Go dig into his past.”

By the count of ESPN reporter Pete Thamel, Jimbo’s rant included 15 despicables. He also said, “I don’t cheat. I don’t lie.” That’s debatable.

Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin, who suggested the NCAA needed to “implement a luxury tax” back in February after the Aggies finished off their recruiting class by landing seven 5-star players, said, “I’m speechless for the first time in my life. This really can’t be happening … Is this real life? I still haven’t moved from my seat. This should’ve been on Pay-Per-View.”

Thursday, Nick did offer an apology with this on Sirius/XM College: “I should have never singled anyone out. That was a mistake. I really apologize for that.” Jimbo said he didn’t bother to answer when Nick called.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey reprimanded both coaches. As if that’s really going to make everyone want so share a bowl of lime Jello with some whipped cream while listening to Melanie Safka belt out “I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates, you’ve got a brand new key.”

Publicly, Sankey is lamenting that two of his coaches are taking shots at each other. In private and in between breaking out in uncontrollable giggles, The Commish is wondering what did he do to deserve something this rich that will dominate both print and broadcast media for the next 11 days before SEC Spring Meetings in Destin and throughout the summer. In another 148 days, Greg Sankey knows he’ll have the most watched college football game of the 2022 season. He couldn’t have scripted this any better.

SEC FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL
Auburn:
Defensive tackle Morris Joseph, who had 117 tackles and 10.5 sacks in three seasons at Memphis, is transferring to Auburn. He previously was committed to Georgia Tech earlier in the spring.

LSU: Xavier Pinson, who averaged 9.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 4.8 assists at LSU last year after transferring in from Missouri, is transferring to New Mexico State.

Missouri: James “Boogie” Coleman, who averaged 8.6 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game for Mizzou last year after transferring in from Ball State, is transferring back to Ball State.

South Carolina: Freddie Kitchens, the former Alabama quarterback and NFL head coach with the Cleveland Browns, has joined Shane Beamer’s staff as an offensive analyst.

ONE FINAL PITHY THOUGHT: This is Mick Hubert’s final broadcast weekend at the University of Florida. Barring a change in plans somewhere down the road, Mick will be saving his next “Oh my!” for wife Judi was they adjust to life on Longboat Key after 33 years in Alachua County. It’s been a good run for Mick, who was a May surprise for the late Bill Arnsparger back in 1989 when he was replacing David Steele, who left to become the voice of the Orlando Magic.

With all eyes turned toward the bigger, better known programs in the country, Arnsparger chose Mick Hubert, who was the play-by-play guy for Dayton, which plays Division IAA football and is a mid-major in basketball.

Back then we hadn’t heard our first “Oh my!” and didn’t know what we were in for. David Steele had one of those calm, no detail is too small to be mentioned broadcast voices. Mick? It was never let the details stand in the way of the excitement. Some might say a typical Mick Hubert broadcast comes across like a guy who chased his extra strong black coffee with a couple cans of Red Bull.

You’ve heard that expression “wears his emotions on his sleeve”? Well, that’s what I think of when I listen to Mick Hubert. When he finishes a broadcast, whether football or basketball, you can bet the farm that he’s squeezed every bit of excitement out of the game and passed it on to the listening audience.

The Gators will embark on a national search for Mick’s replacement – James Bates gets my vote – but no matter who Scott Stricklin picks, it’s going to be awhile before we forget THE VOICE OF THE GATORS for the past 33 years.

Smooth sailing, Mick. You’ve earned your sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News