ADVERTISEMENT

Think back to August 23, 2019

sjf1961

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2005
I remember going through the season prior to playing um and thinking that if we beat um and finished the season 9-3 (with a win against fsu) I would be okay with it, as long as we played well in the losses. I figured that we had a tougher schedule this year and that our losses along the OL were going to negatively impact our running and passing games.

I now look at this season and think that if we get healthy for the uga game, we can finish 10-2 or 11-1. I do not think this coaching staff will allow this team to lose twice to lsu - by losing next week. I think the fact that uga was beaten - by usc - will give two reasons for this team to be focused and prepared. First, we still have the opportunity to win the Eastern Division. Second, usc beat uga in Athens, and should not be taken lightly.

I did not even presume to think that we could have a legitimate chance to win the Eastern Division in August. I suspect most, if not all of you reading this, had any such high thoughts either. But this team is developing and performing well. Trask has done very well in assuming QB duties from the injured Franks. Emory Jones has shown himself to be a capable back-up and future starter for this team. The OL has been serviceable, but is a recognized weakness. This does not mean that it will be in future seasons, however, you can only ask players to grow so much during a single season.

The defense also has some growing issues, however, we have some very good talent on the defensive side of the ball. Our biggest issue at the present is the health of Greenard and Zuniga. We need those two to be ready for the uga game. We should, hopefully, be able to allow for them to heal up next week and through the bye week. If that is the case and we are 7-1 heading into the Cocktail Party, then I expect we will see some fireworks.

I was upset during parts fo the game last night. However, we played one of our cleanest games against a better opponent. Losing is not always a failure. It is a part of growth. Good will come of this. It happened last year on a smaller scale. This is how a program builds to a championship level.

My aspirations upon hiring Dan Mullen was that he would have us back competing for SEC Championships by his 4th year. My aspirations have not changed and, if anything, may be ahead of schedule. We are moving in the right direction. It may have hurt last night after the interception (which hurt me more than the failed 4th down conversion), but we were matching blow for blow with a potential playoff contender. We all knew that the first big mistake was going to be the death knell for the game. Last year lsu made the mistake; this year it was us.

The team I am watching now is better than the one that played on August 24 and provides me with more hope for the final results of this season that I anticipated on August 23, 2019. Don't let the success of the year be tempered by this loss and steal the joy of this season away from you.

Go Gators!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News