ADVERTISEMENT

System Over Play Calling

gump3

Green Machine
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2021
I am very, I mean very supportive of BN, and hope to see him succeed here. I think it would be good for the university, because I believe in his character, his work ethic and the culture and program he is trying to build. However, up on hiring him I did refer to him as Bootleg Billy because that was a huge part of his offense. I watched the South Carolina & TAMU games from last year as they were our most successful offensive outings. In those games I watched first half only and we were predominantly 11 personnel, at times he would shift to 12 personnel inside the red zone or 10 yd line and things got murky. He used a WR as a wing or slot in situations and was able to hit Ricky for the TD against USC on the drag while doing it. We could adapt the offense without changing it if BN would do that, I just don't know if he will. A simple personnel shift, God forbid we ever go 10 personnel, but IMO this would help us out immensely. Do this, add a concept or two passing that doesn't require play action or bootleg, just straight dropback and we could see a nice improvement. Like I said, I watched the games last night, we did it before, we moved the ball and scored points and no one was worried about playcalling because we were being successful. I don't think BN is a great play caller, I wish he would turn that over to someone but in the meantime a schematic adaptation is more important than in game playcalling IMO and it is something that I think, rather should I say I know could be done at this point in the season. I do get a Muschamp feel of stubbornness about how to play, but Muschamp & MacElwain both tried to play this way and suffered, I feel if he doesn't adapt he will be the same way. I just feel like at UF we should try to run by you not over you, just seems to work better for us down here. Anyway, just a thought, Go Gators!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News