ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations about Napier's pass offense from the spring game

BocaGator15

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
IMO, they threw the ball plenty during the spring game. Did he throw more to help dispel the "this is a running offense" moniker that we hear so often ? Or maybe, with a better throwing QB he will lean in to the passing game more than at ULL ?

He definitely likes to use the full width of the field with lots of wide bubble screens and swings to the backs stretching the field to the sideline. Many of the quick passes used the RPO type run fake to freeze the LBs and then pop a quick pass right behind them. With AR at the helm, this will be very effective. I also saw a few longer developing pass routes where the near side receivers ran short and long patterns to freeze the DBs short and long while an offside WR came across the field on a 20-25 or so yard crossing pattern in the gap. So IMO, they had some decent route trees.

They did try to go over top a few times but either our CBs are very good or our WRs don't have the real burst...or a combo of both...but we never did get in behind the defense. however, we did show that we will throw those balls to the recruits...

I am hoping that WR recruits could see that they won't be full time blockers and there are enough pass routes and pass plays to do quite well. I would bet that we will have a good mix of pass and run when all is said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News