ADVERTISEMENT

Some info on T.J. McCoy from the NC State site

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
From the NC State site here on the network:

NC State offensive line coach Mike Uremovich actually likes throwing youngsters into the fire because he knows it will help them down the line, and that's what he hopes to see from his group's lone early enrollee, T.J. McCoy.

"I love it," the coach explained. "He's out there with the twos, getting killed and it's going to make him a great player down the road."He's a freshman. Some days he does five good things right and then takes two steps back. But he's really smart, he's very detailed, very into watching film and doing everything it takes to be a great player so he's going to be a good player. It's just going to take some time because he should still be in high school right now."

NC State Head Coach Dave Doeren talks about his 10 early enrollees:

"I think T.J. McCoy is probably the one that's having the hardest time," the coach admitted. "Not because he's not what we thought, just because he's playing center with the second offense going against some pretty good defensive tackles right now every day. That's a lot when you're playing [sophomore] Kentavius [Street], and you're supposed to still be in senior P.E. "It's hard to step into that, but he battles. That's the thing that I like, so he has a lot of upside to him because of that."

Reactions: rooks7
Optimistic take: you'd expect a true freshman to struggle and I'm a big believer in pedigree so having a Dad who was a quality player means a lot
Pessimistic take: he's a 2-star (with a 2-star offer list) who Coach Mac passed on just 6 months ago and since that time he's inspired quotes from his coaches like "[he is] getting killed" and "having the hardest time" during NC State's Spring ball

Is it confirmed that we are bringing him in on scholarship?

Optimistic take: you'd expect a true freshman to struggle and I'm a big believer in pedigree so having a Dad who was a quality player means a lot
Pessimistic take: he's a 2-star (with a 2-star offer list) who Coach Mac passed on just 6 months ago and since that time he's inspired quotes from his coaches like "[he is] getting killed" and "having the hardest time" during NC State's Spring ball

Mac didnt pass on TJ. The offer came late.

Who cares about his rating or even how good he is right now? At this point we just need enough OL to run a practice with. The kid probably won't play but adding that depth is what makes him so important, not necessarily his talent or even upside.

People on here take a "pessimistic view" towards any and everything. This is good news regardless of how you spin it.

Who cares about his rating or even how good he is right now? At this point we just need enough OL to run a practice with. The kid probably won't play but adding that depth is what makes him so important, not necessarily his talent or even upside.

People on here take a "pessimistic view" towards any and everything. This is good news regardless of how you spin it.

This right here. If McCoy turns out to be nothing more than a depth player, this is still a huge get.

I look at it this way.... he was an early entry. If he dominated or even held his own in spring practice, what does that say about NCST DTs..

Last edited:
I don't expect him to ever be a starting lineman for this team. If he does than we are in big trouble. Hopefully he will be serviceable for scrimmage and practice purposes.

to expound on the pessimists take, he was getting killed by the first team DTs at NC State, which includes former 4*/army all american kentavius street. that should be expected from a true freshmen early enrollee.

I asked the NC State site for some info.

Basically as Mark mentioned, by the end of spring McCoy had worked his way up to second string center and played at that spot in the spring game. Even though he's on the short side at 6-1, he still looked pretty good overall. NC State liked McCoy though and he was popular with the players. Described him as very likable.

I don't expect him to ever be a starting lineman for this team. If he does than we are in big trouble. Hopefully he will be serviceable for scrimmage and practice purposes.
I know what you are doing,, in case the kid sees this, he is going to be saying to himself, I'll show this gator that I can make this team, and get all fired up. Should he make the team in any manner, you will have had something to do with it for motivating him. Love it. Go Gators.

Just to build off what I wrote before on this thread, when talking to McCoy on the phone just before, loved his personality. Very polite, well-spoken, nice kid with a lot of enthusiasm. Basing it off that convo, definitely seems like the right type of attitude and mindset you'd want to add to your program.

I have not seen if he is getting a scholarship or is he a preferred walk on?

Ryan, I hope he flips your number and grades-out 92, 92 game after game. T.J. is now a Gator and I'm pulling for him just like His dad pulled the gators in his day. GO GATORS!!!

Reactions: Hornet09
Tony McCoy, T.J.'s dad, posted a really sweet status just before about his son joining the Gators (as well as with a few photos):

"I can not begin to express how wonderful today is for the McCoy Family. I have three very important "Families" in my life that I'm apart of...

1. Biological Family
2. My Spiritual Family
3. My Gator Family

I am moved with so much joy to announce that my oldest son TJ McCoy is now apart of ALL three Families!
I may have been a little fatigue on the outside today, but in the inside I could have ran a 10k!!! Go Gators!
‪#‎TellToWork‬!
‪#‎LiveLifeNow‬!"

1902870_986714321368989_7921279689975522672_n.jpg

11020752_986714451368976_6808524341532907288_n.jpg

This right here. If McCoy turns out to be nothing more than a depth player, this is still a huge get.

This is what proves our program is broke. For all of you muschamp apologist who bashed negative people as cliff jumpers, this is what you get for giving muschamp another 18 months( should have been fired after Georgia southern). I think Mac is a good guy and has a good plan but not sure if taking someone just to be a depth player and considering him a huge get is where we want to be right now. Keep pumping that shine at some point it gets intoxicating

This is what proves our program is broke. For all of you muschamp apologist who bashed negative people as cliff jumpers, this is what you get for giving muschamp another 18 months( should have been fired after Georgia southern). I think Mac is a good guy and has a good plan but not sure if taking someone just to be a depth player and considering him a huge get is where we want to be right now. Keep pumping that shine at some point it gets intoxicating
How the hell is it broken post when we had 6 damn scholarship OL playing in the spring game? Do you know how many 6 is? Do you know how many we should have? Hell ya I hated Muschamp and agree he should have been fired after GA Southern but to say our program is broke because we brought in a player that's serviceable AT A POSITION OF NEED and you call it broken. Mac is trying to do the best he can. This kids better then walk on isn't he? Well then he helped our football team it's stupid ass posts like yours that lets me know how hard headed and not to bright some of our fans can be. We couldn't even field a 2 deep Oline before Mac got here and he brings in 8 guys yet you still find a way to bitch! I didn't think it was possible but congrats!

So I guess since in your words "the program is broke" we should just go ahead and throw in the towel and not try to "fix" it? It's not a huge get but it's a get in a position of need.

Reactions: jamminjethro
herp derp

Seriously, what is Mac supposed to do? Run 7 on 7's all Fall and through Spring, until we get numbers back next summer? If the program is broken, we should just be glad that he's recognized it and is going about with fixes as best and fast as he can. I think that you have missed the entire essence of this thread.

You need to read up on Coach Mac's success to develop players and the status of the OL he inherited before you open your mouth. Rivals rankings are not an exact science either. If a recruit does not show out in camp either, they don't get ranked. We have a couple commits that are ranked 5.7 or a 3 star ranking...and if they were just 5.8....they would be a 4 star. Again...some of you are too hung up on Rivals rankings.

Mac is not new to coaching and I trust more in what he sees and the coaching staff in a player more than your constant negative approach.

Last edited:
How the hell is it broken post when we had 6 damn scholarship OL playing in the spring game? Do you know how many 6 is? Do you know how many we should have? Hell ya I hated Muschamp and agree he should have been fired after GA Southern but to say our program is broke because we brought in a player that's serviceable AT A POSITION OF NEED and you call it broken. Mac is trying to do the best he can. This kids better then walk on isn't he? Well then he helped our football team it's stupid ass posts like yours that lets me know how hard headed and not to bright some of our fans can be. We couldn't even field a 2 deep Oline before Mac got here and he brings in 8 guys yet you still find a way to bitch! I didn't think it was possible but congrats!

Preach it Vh3 preach it

You have to make yourself sound so dumb!! WHY??

You didn't watch McCoy's film did you?

Just looked at his rating. Sorry, bro Rival's track record with rating OL sucks.

I don't trust any of their rankings with the OL. I watch their film myself and make up my own mind.

Reactions: Hornet09
You didn't watch McCoy's film did you?

Just looked at his rating. Sorry, bro Rival's track record with rating OL sucks.

I don't trust any of their rankings with the OL. I watch their film myself and make up my own mind.
Tj is a road grater and good leverage player( Dayum Genetics) he gets his pass blocking and learns the O I would not be surprised what happens at Guard or especially center as bright as he is.

-Totally Biased when it comes to this young man..

Tj is a road grater and good leverage player( Dayum Genetics) he gets his pass blocking and learns the O I would not be surprised what happens at Guard or especially center as bright as he is.

-Totally Biased when it comes to this young man..

This. Dad was a relentless bull and I'm sure that attitude has been passed on. I wouldn't be surprised either if this kid works his way into significant playing time down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT