ADVERTISEMENT

Sideline Observations-Vandy

ApkGator21

Gator Great
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
A few off the wall things I noticed

-C Raymond is pretty much always calm and coaching guys up with a positive demeanor. After a certain bad play Saturday he went after a corner with a fury.....I was watching his face and it was rage. He tore the player up, turned and stomped off, turned and came back and got another pound of flesh, stomped off then turned and came back for a third helping. Maddest I've ever seen him by far

-R Sale generally assembles the OL out on the field prior to each offensive series to go over stuff. They were putting in the subs prior to the final series of the game....Sale gets ready to coach them up and sees there are only 4 guys standing there. He looks over and Christian Williams is standing on the sidelines trying to get his gloves on. Sales barks and runs over there and grabs a glove and throws it farther than a Mertz pass and all but kicks Williams onto the field. It was glorious. Give Sale credit, he calmed and got their meeting done and gave Williams a friendly pat as he took the field.

-When Boardingham got his block in the back penalty, Callaway spent an extended time showing him how he should have handled the play/positioned his body/etc. Nice attention to detail.

-I try and get there early enough to see the kickers warm up pre game. I see people asking why Mihalek had the job. It was easy to see last season, he was consistent and Smack was erratic. Before the UT game I could see something was wrong with Mihalek, it was like a golfer that has lost his swing. He was tangled up and in his head.
Skip forward to this week and he looked like he has found his swing again, nice and smooth and made every kick including some over 58 yards. Smack was also hitting his well, and we can't say that pregame would translate to live action for Mihalek...but good to see he was hitting it well again.
I've said this before, Crawshaw has the strongest leg I've ever seen from a punter. It is stupid long when he hits it clean. If he ever gets consistency and touch he will play a long time

-Waites needs more snaps IMO. Kid is going to be good. He's not there yet but it's coming.

-Shocked that Burke and Fraziars didn't play till the last series. Ricky probably needed a break, but Billy G doesn't seem to trust either guy. On a side note, the WR really seem to bond with David Doecker the GA

-I've been critical of Etienne for his abysmal pass blocking....Montrell got blown up a couple of times vs Vandy

-Better hope J Hill stays healthy cause they don't seem to trust anyone else at nickel. Denson looks tiny and uncomfortable out there. Think they would have to try Moore or Dijon if either could ever get healthy enough

-Vandy maybe had the smallest number of visitor fans I can ever recall. Certainly the fewest for an SEC team. Charlotte and McNeese had better numbers

-Pleasantly surprised at the UF crowd....nobody can tell me the student body doesn't show after they have been solid last two seasons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News