ADVERTISEMENT

SEC scholarship stipends

Deathroll

Baby Gator
Apr 6, 2013
Either there needs to be a very strict calculation of cost of living differential and all P5 teams (at least) need to be bound by that........OR we need to dramatically pump up our "estimate" of the cost of living in Gainesville so that we can give more. There is no freaking way you can tell me the cost of living in Auburn, Alabama or Knoxville, Tennessee is almost twice the cost of living in Gainesville.....yet their stipends are almost twice what ours is. That places us at a huge competitive disadvantage.

That is unacceptable.

Tennessee: $5,666

Auburn: $5,586

Mississippi State: $5,372

Alabama: $4,886+

Mississippi: $4,600

South Carolina: $4,151+

Arkansas: $4,104

LSU: $3,920

Georgia: $3,746 non-state resident, $3,222 resident

Missouri: $3,742

Texas A & M: $3,528 non-state resident, $3,000 resident

Kentucky: $ $3,524 non-state resident, $3,256 resident

Florida: $3,330 res/non-res

Vanderbilt: $2,780*

+ Data from National Center for Educational Statistics
*Does not include transportation cost

Once again UF is dragging ass at the very bottom - not proactive at all.

Foley is terribly naive counting on others to "do the right thing" and getting left in the dust as a result.

We are simply too soft in terms of the leadership of our athletic department. This has been a problem for years. Foley can only be brought along kicking and screaming years after we've lost ground and after it has obviously hurt us. This is just another example.

It think it may be off also but its not saying its almost twice as much I think just that the difference from what the student already got for cost of attendance from the actual formula for cost of attendance total is 2,336 at Tenn to make it equal to UF with that $ 3,330.

It think it may be off also but its not saying its almost twice as much I think just that the difference from what the student already got for cost of attendance from the actual formula for cost of attendance total is 2,336 at Tenn to make it equal to UF with that $ 3,330.

The payout at 3 SEC schools is well over $5000 while at UF it is $3330. An extra few hundred bucks a month for each player might well make a difference in recruiting.

oddly enough, Auburn is pretty expensive to live in.

The absolute cheapest, nastiest one bedroom apartment with busted up wood-panel interiors and a total square footage of 400 feet is $400 base rent. Cigarettes are comparable to Florida prices (still cheaper but compared to everywhere else I've been? Very high).

Alcohol is oddly cheap though. And it flows liberally.

The actual real estate market there is absurd. $250,000 at the bottom end until you get into neighboring Opelika. Gas is also on average 10-15 cents higher than almost anywhere else in the state.

So, just saying, since I'm going to assume few, if any, have spent extensive time there, that for the Podunk town many believe it to be, it's a surprisingly expensive place.

For God's sake, the cheap, knockoff Asian at Panda (not Express...just Panda) is going to run you close to $10 for something to fill you up.

The payout at 3 SEC schools is well over $5000 while at UF it is $3330. An extra few hundred bucks a month for each player might well make a difference in recruiting.
I agree. $200/month is big money for some of these kids.

Yeah, the should just come up with a number and adjust it using standard COL rates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT