ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Baseball Tournament Thread

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
Today is the single elimination part of the SEC tournament.

Missouri Vs Vanderbilt @ 10:30 am
Georgia vs. Ole Miss @ 2:00pm
Alabama vs. Kentucky @ 5:30 pm
LSU vs Tennessee @ 9:00 pm

A.J. Puk will pitch Wednesday night at 9 PM, followed by ace righty Logan Shore on Thursday and righty Alex Faedo on Friday if UF advances in the double-elimination portion of the tournament.

Florida will face the winner of the Tennessee/LSU game on Tuesday.

To be honest I think UF should tank the game, go home and get ready for the real tournament that really counts. I would and wouldn't be stunned if they don't put all their effort into their first SEC Tournament game.

To be honest I think UF should tank the game, go home and get ready for the real tournament that really counts. I would and wouldn't be stunned if they don't put all their effort into their first SEC Tournament game.

I disagree, if we had ended the regular season on a higher note I might be OK with that, but quite frankly we've struggled the last 2-3 weeks and need to get a little momentum back. Not only that, but we've dropped from being ranked #1 to somewhere between #4-to-#6 (I realize that rankings don't determine our seeding) depending on what poll you go with (our RPI is #2). I would think we would want to be seeded as high as possible to get the most favorable match-ups.

They are literally swinging at shit like a mfajor league team sitting on a lead. That's the first strikeout that's actually been anywhere in the stratosphere in 5 innings, it's exactly like the vanderbilt game they lost last year swinging at trash literally the entire game. He's not even trying to throw strikes since it was 2-0 with the bases loaded and 1 out and they are bailing him out with his dirt balls since that point with every at bat. It's stuff like this they do every year that gets them beat when it matters in Omaha against bad pitches, and when you sit there and sit on a lead comfortably without a big enough lead and then the game is tied or you get down you can't just magically turn it back on. The funny part is this is about the biggest lead puk has ever seen even with all these terrible at bats combined for hours. The umpire is squeezing puk too and trying his best to make this a game and it's hilarious because they have a bunch of fans there like watching UK play in the SEC Tournament in basketball. Last night was hilarious too. They are so glad they won and got them hotel rooms sold for at least a few more nights for the dominating fan base

and with a walk the further this goes with a close game that should never be close Sully starts the musical chairs with the bullpen with these fans and an umpire doing his best to get it back and you could have a problem if they don't do something offensively and get their head outta their ass.. You can't be complacent when you are Florida and how we get treated with officials and umpires in all sports. You have to step on their throats, 2 runs in the first inning and nothing but strike outs like a kid playing a baseball video game swinging at everything out of the zone.

and now there's 2 on with the pitch count high and one out, sully is about to start changing pitchers like teenage girls with boyfriends in middle school.

Like I said, rupp arena'd and then the umpire shows up the catcher as he chokes a call at the plate to keep the money and the fans in place. College baseball is flat out impossible to take seriously and yet as always we get treated like UL monroe in every sport. It will never end, it was coming the whole time.

Everything i just said an hour ago just came to life exactly the way I said it. But im being paranoid

and the funniest part is when this happens to Florida they rarely ever come back from it and just go down just like I was talking about sitting on a lead with no rhythm at the plate, now they not only have to swing at strikes they have to actually put together hits and score a run.. funny how teams don't ever hand anything lucky back to us when it's not deserved, they turn into web gems like playing against a video game on heisman. You could see this coming from a mile away the way the game was going. This is identical to how they lose every year in the post season and why I never expect them to do anything. They basically have a minor league team and simply have to stop underachieving. If they can't win with this team this year or come close to doing it when it matters it just ain't gonna happen. How much talent do you need to do it than this year

and yet AGAIN, he drops the ball in FAIR territory and rupp umps do it again to start the inning. It's just unbelievable at this point what goes on with UF over and over.

and that's some clutch shit, that's what you gotta do with your back against the wall. That's what im talking about, you got the guys to do it, make it happen. That was very clutch and that's the things we haven't done previously over the years. Now you gotta overcome more to dig out a win, if you wanna be champions you gotta find ways to win like this in baseball. The bullpen has to be better than theirs and then the bats have to make something happen.

and I think it's time to stop sending this guy on the first obvious pitch out of every at bat, that's twice in a row where they have gunned him in the same exact situation...

Im assuming im the only one awake, the funny part is ive been up since 4 am yesterday. The even funnier part is im at this game right now, I just realized I never mentioned that this whole time. Im down the first base line, you could basically see me at this point. Im wearing an orange fitted UF hat in the front and white back side with a big F on the front and a blue Gator sideline polo.

The last two batters that dunning just threw in person were literally un hittable...

Doesn't get more Florida than that, same exact thing as south carolina in the college world series. No one can do what the Gators do in impossible to lose situations. It's a thing and it always will be just like what me and bradley gator always talk about

Don't know how the game is going to turn out, 3-3 in the top of the 12th. But I'm beginning to realize that Kevin O'Sullivan is not a very good in-game manager. He left Puk in too long tonight, he calls for steals at the wrong time, only Rivera can sac. bunt and yet he's one of our best clutch hitters. Sure we got a bad call from the ump in the top of the 8th, but I've seen this more & more from O'Sullivan over the past few years. He recruits great players and we win a ton of games. But in the games that matter the most, he doesn't seem to put the team in the best positions to win. Is that just me or am I wrong?

And O'Sullivan did it again. Kirby Snead has been TERRIBLE the last month in clutch situations. Sully brings him in to relieve Dunning with 1 out and a runner on 1st. Snead walks the first batter, strikes out the 2nd. They pinch hit a right handed batter, one of their top RBI guys, and O'Sullivan leaves Snead in. He gives up the RBI single to put LSU ahead 4-3. Then O'Sullivan takes Snead out. Too late. He just doesn't make the right big game moves at the right times. As much as he's done for Gator baseball and as successful as he's been, we should have won at least a couple CWS titles with all the players we've had. And I'm thinking more and more it's the little decisions made by the coach that are keeping it from happening. Hope he proves me wrong by winning it this year, but I'm becoming a real skeptic.

yea well at least I got to see another epic classic game in person, another epic Gator loss that I called hours before it happened exactly the way I saw it playing out..Sully is becoming les miles loser with more talent than he knows what to do with real fast. That bases loaded situation is exactly what happened in the CWS against SC, now that wasn't exactly his fault but the conservative shit that surrounded that with lsu begging to lose with 18 infielders was and him bunting with i don't know, our damn best two hitters to drive one in the outfield. Sully is les miles right now

Sully made a lot of bad decisions in that one for sure. No way we should have lost that. He's done a great job at Florida for certain but last night several head scratchers.

Interesting. One the one hand, we have complaints that Kevin pulls pitchers too quickly. On the other, we have complaints he leaves pitchers in too long.

He has won this tournament before, last year being the latest. He has won the regular season SEC before. He has been to the CWS four times. He has a better record in the CWS than all Florida coaches had before he came in. This with coaches that have won titles.

I get the emotion of the situation. But being ovearlly critical of Kevin is a bit overwrought.

Interesting. One the one hand, we have complaints that Kevin pulls pitchers too quickly. On the other, we have complaints he leaves pitchers in too long.

He has won this tournament before, last year being the latest. He has won the regular season SEC before. He has been to the CWS four times. He has a better record in the CWS than all Florida coaches had before he came in. This with coaches that have won titles.

I get the emotion of the situation. But being ovearlly critical of Kevin is a bit overwrought.

Yeah, we were all bitching when he pulled Puk against USC. Those are the two best games Puk has pitched all year, and we lost both because defense and the bullpen let us down. Our lineup is not great, but the bullpen and defense are where we are lacking compared to some of Sully's best teams.

I agree that Sully's a little to aggressive with the steals. I get that he's trying to to manufacture runs, but we had the leadoff man on in the 7th, the guy's pitch count around 100, and we let them off the hook by getting thrown out for the first out. With the 9 hitter up there, I could see bunting him over. But you get thrown out stealing, then the 9 hitter goes down and the inning is basically over.

Overall though, I don't blame Sully. These guys just aren't performing well enough to beat good teams. Our starting pitching is solid, but we're not hitting, not playing defense and our bullpen isn't closing teams out.

Hitting is not championship calendar! Great defense and good pitching but just don't have the offense to win a championship!

Hitting is not championship calendar! Great defense and good pitching but just don't have the offense to win a championship!

The defense is good overall, but we seem to make one or two game losing mistakes against good opponents. It's a 180 from last year, where it seemed like we made one or two incredible plays every game.

I hate being critical of any of our coaches and tend to get defensive when anyone else does. I love Kevin O'Sullivan and how he has elevated our program to one of consistent national prominence, where we should have been all along. But with one #1 recruiting class after another, being ranked at or near #1 in the nation year after year and being the #1 national seed several times, we should be able to expect a national title or two somewhere in the mix. I think a comparison to Mike Martin and the FSU program is more appropriate. He is revered in Tallahassee, seems to run a clean program and puts a lot of guys in MLB, just like Sully. And yet he has never won a national title with all the talent that has run through their program over the past 37-38 years, with somewhere around 1900 wins. It's incredible what Martin has done and yet has ZERO national titles to show for it. I just want our baseball program to finally break through and win one.

Sully has so much pitching to pick from a guy making his first start is out there throwing 96

Jesus christ they just did it again, sent the catcher? after a gift lead off walk and a hit and run strike out throw out by 4 steps. Seriously just stop giving away gift innings that start tragically for our opponents.

Bases loaded and nobody out twice since last night, ONE run scored combined in both situations. That's gonna be a losing formula forever.

Jesus christ they just did it again, sent the catcher? after a gift lead off walk and a hit and run strike out throw out by 4 steps. Seriously just stop giving away gift innings that start tragically for our opponents.

Bases loaded and nobody out twice since last night, ONE run scored combined in both situations. That's gonna be a losing formula forever.

Then of course Rivera doubles.

and any time the other team gets a runner on to lead off, you can bet your ass they won't waste it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT