ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatching the game…what I am seeing

johnhinson

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2015
Really I am just watching the game for the 1st time. Missed it live due to work. However, knowing the result I don’t have to solely watch the ball, and I can pay attention to what caused the end result of each play. Not gonna do play by play. Just gonna make a post after each quarter I watch.

1st quarter

I got another thread of mine bumped from last week because it states the current play calling won’t lead to Richardson playing well. Outside of my suggestion to implement Meyer’s/Tebow’s legendary pitch option play it appears Napier did exactly what I suggested in the thread….He called read options where Richardson was actually allowed to keep the ball, and he called several rollouts (where the DBs abandon their responsibility to pursue Richardson as a runner, which leads to several pass completions for 8+ yards). So…thank you for bumping I guess.

RB play might look bad, but it isn’t…

Left side of the OL got whooped in the 1st quarter. RT Barber did okay. Honestly, Torrence is the only OL who flat out won his match up.

Receivers missed some blocking assignments in the run game as well. At least I believe not blocking the DB right in front of you is a missed assignment. I am sure some football guru will come on here and explain why those plays were designed for the WR to block this other player in order to….blah…..blah…The fact is the DB they left unblocked made the tackle on our running backs for short, 1-2 yard, gains.

DL and outside CB actually played well.

LB and Safety for 95% of the plays sucked.

Toney keeps having well timed LB blitzes. Just in the 1st quarter it lead to 3 LBs being unblocked. I remember one led to a sack by Shemar James, another a 5 yard TFL by Burney, and the other I don’t remember the result. I need more coffee (should I make it an Irish coffee?)

However, it appears Toney had Ventrell Miller assigned to be the QB spy for Hooker, while simultaneously being responsible for the RB if it was a hand off. That is STUPID!!! Miller is great downhill defender, but unless you have a LB that runs 4.3 forty with the instincts of a god you don’t give them such a ridiculous assignment.

Trey Dean and Rasheed Torrence are both too slow to play safety in the SEC.

Trey Dean also just doesn’t have the instincts to do so….

Might as well put in Kamari Wilson IMO. We are wasting reps on those 2. Just not good enough athletes to compete at a championship level. I do not mean to diss these gentlemen, and hope they end up leading amazing lives, but in my honest opinion that won’t be happening as football players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News