ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread

The only players left on the board as far as I know are Safety Jacoby Matthews, who is announcing at 7 pm and California combo athlete Arlis Boardingham, 6'4", 220 lb., who has said he's not signing today, but will be choosing between Florida and Oregon.
Overall, this has been a pretty solid class, especially when you consider the portal signees in combination with the high school kids signed. Disappointed we couldn't get any huge flips at the end, but when you think about the mess this class was in when Napier took over and the short amount of time to salvage his transition class, I think it turned out fairly well.
I agree. Napier did an awesome job. He inherited a total dumpster fire.

Reactions: PacoGator19
The only players left on the board as far as I know are Safety Jacoby Matthews, who is announcing at 7 pm and California combo athlete Arlis Boardingham, 6'4", 220 lb., who has said he's not signing today, but will be choosing between Florida and Oregon.
Overall, this has been a pretty solid class, especially when you consider the portal signees in combination with the high school kids signed. Disappointed we couldn't get any huge flips at the end, but when you think about the mess this class was in when Napier took over and the short amount of time to salvage his transition class, I think it turned out fairly well.
Matthews is going to A&M IMO

Matthews is going to A&M IMO
From what I've read on 4 other boards, Florida's chances are slim with him and I tend to agree with you. If he signs with the Aggies that will give them 8 Five stars in this class. Incredible.

It'll be interesting following TAMU over the next few years to see what this class turns out to be for them.

Jimbo could be on a real short leash if they aren't in the playoffs in the next 3 years.

Very, very short.

It'll be interesting following TAMU over the next few years to see what this class turns out to be for them.

Jimbo could be on a real short leash if they aren't in the playoffs in the next 3 years.

Very, very short.
I think with the money they just dropped on this class they may be expecting a playoff quicker than that (2 years).

Reactions: seffnergator
You’d think a school with all male cheerleaders would have a tougher time getting recruits…certainly shows the power of what a buck will get some dudes to do…

dyk.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Countygator1
Agreed but 3 years and no playoffs when it's possible that a lot of these guys go pro after? That might be a death sentence.
Saban was able to win with not so spectacular QB play. Jimbo has to have the all american under center to win. So unless he has that the AM faithful may be disappointed.

Reactions: gatordad3
Saban was able to win with not so spectacular QB play. Jimbo has to have the all american under center to win. So unless he has that the AM faithful may be disappointed.

Especially now that they're paying a lot of money for it and everybody knows. It's one thing when you're doing it under the table, but when you're spending money like this? That the whole nation knows about? Gonna get real hot real quick with big time results.

I agree. Napier did an awesome job. He inherited a total dumpster fire.
I'm very happy with the overall class today like you said with what we inherited and the short time Billy had. I'll take our 3 stars and 4 stars that want to play ball and not so much worried about getting paid. If they show out at Florida then they can get paid at the next level. Jimbo still has to beat Bama and Georgia and hopefully Florida in the future.

Now it's on to the portal. No doubt we will see some additional entries. We need some additional help along both lines. I think we are ok everywhere else.

Going into today I thought I'd be more than happy with a top 20 class and we got that. We have 6 incoming transfers and will probalby add a few more. It's a good start.

2023 for me is top 5 or bust- I think Napier can do that.

Now it's on to the portal. No doubt we will see some additional entries. We need some additional help along both lines. I think we are ok everywhere else.
Yeah I think in the portal and maybe the next month we are gonna get what we need. So I'm cool with that.

Going into today I thought I'd be more than happy with a top 20 class and we got that. We have 6 incoming transfers and will probalby add a few more. It's a good start.

2023 for me is top 5 or bust- I think Napier can do that.

Top 5 or bust is going to be a tall task. We know who's going to be up there, but Top 10 has to happen. Way too much commitment to it now that we shouldn't fund ourselves around 10-20.

On-Fields results are going to still be key. Can't have a 4-5 win season and just throw money at people. Other places will have that money and better results

Top 5 or bust is going to be a tall task. We know who's going to be up there, but Top 10 has to happen. Way too much commitment to it now that we shouldn't fund ourselves around 10-20.

On-Fields results are going to still be key. Can't have a 4-5 win season and just throw money at people. Other places will have that money and better results

danny-

This is my worry. He has a very lackluster offensive class coming in and if he thinks 80% runs will change that he is nuts.

if he wants big time offensive talent he needs to show he can use it

danny-

This is my worry. He has a very lackluster offensive class coming in and if he thinks 80% runs will change that he is nuts.

if he wants big time offensive talent he needs to show he can use it
First off this years class which is a transition class is going to have very little impact on next years team. As you know many freshmen don’t typically make big impacts. Secondly he doesn’t run the ball 80% of the time. Where did you get that?

Difference between this guy and our last two coaches is that he would agree with you. He knows he has to recruit and will bust his ass to do it. We’ll see if he can get there, but I appreciate the energy.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Gator's 2022 Recruit Class Rankings.
The #19 247 Class - 7 4-stars, 10 3-stars = 17 (3 EE's)

#3 S Kamari Wilson - EE ****
#5 ILB Shemar James ****
#10 K Trey Smack *** (Kohl's #5 K, #15 P)
#14 RB Trevor Etienne ****
#15 DT Chris McClellan **** - EE
#21 S Devin Moore - **** EE
#24 OT/TE Tony Livingston ****
#31 OG Jalen Farmer ***
#36 SDE Jack Pyburn ***
#46 DT Jamari Lyons ****
#65 Ath Miguel Mitchell *** - HS = S-Nic-CB-OLB--WR-RB-KR-PR
#67 WR Caleb Douglas ***
#67 OG Christian Williams ***
#94 QB Max Brown ***
#96 DL Andrew Savaiinaea ***
109 TE Haycen Hansen ***
113 OT David Conner ***
==========

Transfers: 5 **** + 1 ***
OG O'Cyrus Torrence **** LLU - 1st Team All Sun Belt
CB Jalen Kimber **** UGly
RB Montrell Johnson **** LLU
OT Kamryn Waites **** LLU
QB Jack Miller **** - tOSU (rated a 3-star as an xfer)
-----
Tyrone Truesdell *** - AU - Listed as a 22, but he played in 21.
(he's listed as being in the Sr Bowl, so does that mean he's gone?)

Recruits + Transfers -- 12 **** + 11 *** = 23 Total
==========

The iG's reaction to the class is this:
If 247 is the smarter group of evaluators, then it's a pretty Ho-Hum class.
If the new coaching staff is smarter, then it might be very good for a transition class.
The answer is,,,, we'll all have to wait and see how things play out....

I don't think it's a big ask. I think that's the expectation to be frank. And for all the talk of how much Napier runs the ball and it may keep recruits away - Kirby has proven that 100% lol

If Napier is going to make it here he's going to have to recruit Top 5 year in/out. Good recruiters do that in the bump class so that's the standard in my view.

@PacoGator19

Paco,

How do you think we did?
I think we did very good all things considered. I believe I said it a few months ago that transition classes typically aren’t any good. Even Urban Meyer’s transition class here at UF was not good. If we can get a few contributors out of this class that would be considered a success. And maybe high end prospects like Kamari Wilson & Shemar James turn out to be major contributors. Some of the 3*s we got late in the game I do like and some are just “meh”. So far we have also done very well in the transfer portal. I was hoping to land one of Citizen, Perkins, Matthews or Allen but we shot our shot so even that was an encouraging sign from what we have seen from the previous staff.
Napier and his staff will be judged on the 2023 class (bump class) as they should be. I have no doubt this staff is going to recruit very good but it isn’t going to be easy either. We will be competing with Bama, UGA, A&M, USC, Texas, Ohio St, Clemson, LSU & Miami. Those are going to be the best classes in the country for 2023 with ours thrown in there somewhere.

We essentially missed out on two top guys - Citizen and Perkins and that's really it. The rest of the class was either as expected (didn't lose anyone we thought was coming) or were 50-50 type guys at best.

I think Napier flipping a couple of guys on ESD had people expecting he'd get every one of those top guys. If we had gotten even just Perkins, we'd have a top 12 finish...so that 1 guy means a lot. We just didn't flip him.

So overall he preformed about as well as was reasonably expected. That mentioned, top 5 next year should be expected imo if he's really that good of a recruiter.

Reactions: instaGATOR
You’d think a school with all male cheerleaders would have a tougher time getting recruits…certainly shows the power of what a buck will get some dudes to do…

dyk.jpg
So...

Do we get an admission from UGa, Bama, Clemson, LSU, etc that they have been paying recruits for years, or are we supposed to believe that this year money matters, but it was never an issue before?

Kamari Wilson was a 5 star until he signed with Florida. By national signing day he had lost a star. Funny how that works, huh?

I don't think it's a big ask. I think that's the expectation to be frank. And for all the talk of how much Napier runs the ball and it may keep recruits away - Kirby has proven that 100% lol

If Napier is going to make it here he's going to have to recruit Top 5 year in/out. Good recruiters do that in the bump class so that's the standard in my view.

Top 5 is going to require some work. Bama, UGA, OSU, and now USC. Add in Texas and TAMU and its going to require work.
Now throw in Mario is SoFla and Billy will have to grind to be top 5.

not saying it can’t be done. Not saying we can’t win. But the landscape is changing

Top 5 is going to require some work. Bama, UGA, OSU, and now USC. Add in Texas and TAMU and its going to require work.
Now throw in Mario is SoFla and Billy will have to grind to be top 5.

not saying it can’t be done. Not saying we can’t win. But the landscape is changing
With NIL now the norm, it's going to be like MLB - those with the most money buy the best players, those with limited resources will be relegated to 2nd tier. There's a shifting landscape and TAM, Texas, USC will be joining the big boys. Florida has to decide whether or not it wants to spend the bucks to get the players to compete for titles. Pretty simple actually.

With NIL now the norm, it's going to be like MLB - those with the most money buy the best players, those with limited resources will be relegated to 2nd tier. There's a shifting landscape and TAM, Texas, USC will be joining the big boys. Florida has to decide whether or not it wants to spend the bucks to get the players to compete for titles. Pretty simple actually.
WIth NIL now the norm, the NCAA can no longer play favorites and punish some teams for minor transgressions while others were allowed to pay players for their services.

It also took ethics out of the equation, as it is no longer unethical to pay a player. Teams no longer have to say "we do things the right way" while they watch others break the rules with impunity and buy all the best players.

You say it will be like MLB? I say it has always been like MLB, just MLB if all the payments were in the shadows. But you are right about UF, it's put up or shut up time.

WIth NIL now the norm, the NCAA can no longer play favorites and punish some teams for minor transgressions while others were allowed to pay players for their services.

It also took ethics out of the equation, as it is no longer unethical to pay a player. Teams no longer have to say "we do things the right way" while they watch others break the rules with impunity and buy all the best players.

You say it will be like MLB? I say it has always been like MLB, just MLB if all the payments were in the shadows. But you are right about UF, it's put up or shut up time.
Valid points, LG

What's important?
The W/L Record OR The Recruit Class Ranking???

Do you want to be the SEC-C, or like UGly for the last 4 of 5 years, the Recruiting Class Champ?

Inside results, OR outside projections. (see Clemson's Class rankings the last 6-8 years)

2022 Class added 2 PWO's

NR OL/LT Jackson Crozier 6-4 275 Fr - Ft Lauderdale, FL

#154 LB Bryce Capers 6-4 219 Fr *** - Jacksonville, FL
Offers: FIU, Akron, Liberty,,,TnSt, EKy.

LB Harold Perkins
6-2.5 210 --- 😉 --- ranking-smanking....

(see the end results for 3-star Greenard)

Last edited:
2022 Class added 2 PWO's

NR OL/LT Jackson Crozier 6-4 275 Fr - Ft Lauderdale, FL

#154 LB Bryce Capers 6-4 219 Fr *** - Jacksonville, FL
Offers: FIU, Akron, Liberty,,,TnSt, EKy.

LB Harold Perkins
6-2.5 210 --- 😉 --- ranking-smanking....

(see the end results for 3-star Greenard)
Not to mention 3 star Jarrad Davis.

If we had gotten even just Perkins, we'd have a top 12 finish...so that 1 guy means a lot. We just didn't flip him.
GBO,

Think there were about 500,000 reason we didn't flip Perkins.

I posted several times that he was just using us to run up his $NIL$; I still believe that.

Can't fault him for doing it; I would have liked to earn $500 K for going to college ! LOL

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT