ADVERTISEMENT

Question from UK fan

Porky Pigskin33

Baby Gator
Oct 17, 2017
Which of Florida's title teams do you think is better between 1996 and 2008? Both were dominant teams led by great quarterbacks Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow.

Thoughts?

I think 1996. Danny a better passer and 96, had better running backs. While Percy was dynamic the 96 receivers were better as a group. I think D’s were close and O line might slightly favor 08. The combo of SOS and Bob Stoops is pretty darn good

Tough call. That 96 offense was really really good with Wuerffel and Freddie T and Terry Jackson at RB and Ike, Reidel and Quez at WR. I think the 96 offense may have been slightly better than the 08 offense. The 08 offense did have Tebow and Harvin which are 2 of the better college football players of all time. However, the 08 defense was definetly better than the 96 defense. That 08 defense had a secondary of Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Major Wright & Ahmad Black. Probably the best secondary UF has ever had.

08 I would say was our best team. That Oklahoma team was a crazy good offense.

D633BDC.gif

Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
Hard to compare the two teams (‘96 and ‘08) because the game had radically changed between those two periods.

Also, hard to know how good the ‘96 team could have been if Steve had placed Wuerff in the shotgun prior to that bowl game.

If he had, perhaps that team would have gone undefeated.

If the ‘96 (and ‘95) offenses got a team on its heals, either could put up silly numbers.

I think 1996. Danny a better passer and 96, had better running backs. While Percy was dynamic the 96 receivers were better as a group. I think D’s were close and O line might slightly favor 08. The combo of SOS and Bob Stoops is pretty darn good

But look at other offensive weapons to catch the ball. Its not just Percy Harving. You have Riley Cooper, Aaron Hernandez, David Nelson. Thompson was no slouch either.

People make the 08 team a two man show with Tebow and Percy...but it really, really wasnt.

Last edited:
08 I would say was our best team. That Oklahoma team was a crazy good offense.

Agreed. Also, I know the big 12 was putting up crazy offensive numbers that year, but OU's d-unit was on a mission that game. The way they played that night was better than the vast majority of the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT