ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations

Anyone hear anything on the scrimmage? Someone saId LDR threw a pick in the red zone and Clayton was really getting after the QB. Not sure how valid that statement is however.

We look like straight sh*t in practice it appears. And this is during the easy public stuff. :eek:

I saw the Michigan fans laughing about it. I think the majority of them actually think it was just one session on the same day. It still looks pretty bad however.

Last edited:
Reactions: usmand1636

We look like straight sh*t in practice it appears. And this is during the easy public stuff. :eek:

I saw the Michigan fans laughing about it. I think the majority of them actually think it was just one session on the same day. It still looks pretty bad however.

I seriously wish my life was so simple and complete that I had time to watch several clips of practice...from my rival team...and actually edit a film.

Then again I'm glad I don't have this time to waste. I'd rather take my gal on a date, take my children to something they enjoy, go fishing, or walk the outdoors.

Who the fvck had this much time on their hands?

Because they are obsessed, i tell bama fans all the time when they talk about auburn fans, nah fsu is just as bad with us or worse with their little brother disease...

I can go cut a film of all the one handed catches and tout it like we have the best corps in the country in 8 minutes, or do the same and make driskel look like the #1 pick at QB...

only idiots do idiot things

Reactions: TennesseeGator
they really aren't, iv'e watched top players drop everything in practice the day before a game, then catch 4 TDs...

like Malcolm Butler before the actual INT to win the Super Bowl... practice is practice, if guys suck, it will happen more over time..

While i agree gator numbers, i also agree that championship teams dont practice like this. I remember Fisher talking about our 13 team and how competitive and focused they were at every single practice. Of course u r going to drop balls and everything will nvr be perfect but it jus looks lackluster to me. Not saying that as a rival fan just as an observer. I obviously dont think its this bad and no one should. Like u said, u could probably show highlights the other way with great catches. So i dont put all my stock into this but it doesnt look like a championship caliber effort/practice. Could u imagine Tebow and Harvin doing it like that? I couldnt, part of tebows greatness was his leadership and he didnt allow guys to give lackluster effort at practice

It does look alarming. Very lackluster.

But we have zero idea if the coaches didn't jump their azzes for it. Entire practices are filmed and reviewed.
Mc has seemed to be in good spirits about the receiving group so we will see. He has in the past spoken up about lackluster practices.

Pretty obvious that film has been sliced up to only show the bad plays, that said the effort on some of those routes were pathetic. Half speed, rounding off breaks, and then coming out of the break with their hands down...they wouldn't be able to catch a ball if the QB released early. Let's just hope that stuff is getting cleaned up. Think I saw Powell do the same thing at least twice.

It takes 4-5 years for any new HC to get his own recruited players on the field.
The transition would also include hiring and stabilizing his coaching staff.

Recruiting: the #96 on his arrival, but he finished at #21 with 2 5-stars.
Then improved to #12 in 2016.
And then improved to #9 in 2017.
2018 Currently #9 already.
2019 Very early but #1 so far. :cool:

SECe-C for 2 consecutive years, vastly exceeding all expectations. :eek:

So after taking over an offensive chit-show that included only having 4 ship OL'men for his 1st Spring game, if he doesn't stomp #1 UA this year, and then go on to win the NC in just his 3rd season, then fire his butt and hire....? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: jaytor
It could just be sadgator's obsessive compulsive paranoia, but there seem to be some real negative warning signs about how we are going to play offensively.

A little worried myself - thinking the O line may not be as improved as some think. Hopefully I am wrong on that.

It takes 4-5 years for any new HC to get his own recruited players on the field.
The transition would also include hiring and stabilizing his coaching staff.

Recruiting: the #96 on his arrival, but he finished at #21 with 2 5-stars.
Then improved to #12 in 2016.
And then improved to #9 in 2017.
2018 Currently #9 already.
2019 Very early but #1 so far. :cool:

SECe-C for 2 consecutive years, vastly exceeding all expectations. :eek:

So after taking over an offensive chit-show that included only having 4 ship OL'men for his 1st Spring game, if he doesn't stomp #1 UA this year, and then go on to win the NC in just his 3rd season, then fire his butt and hire....? :rolleyes:

Said Urban Meyer and Nick saban fholding their NC trophies in year 2. It takes 4-5 years my ass, give me on instance of a good coach who to that long to put a MEDIOCRE offense on the field

well it took saban 4 years at LSU, and 3 years at Bama... but that doesn't really change anything

If we had his 08 offense, we'd have won one of our own by now... Especially in 2012

100% spot on.
The issue I have with this is Meyer and Saban are two of the GOAT college coaches. There aren't any others out there like them. If your expecting that then your going to be disappointed for a very long long time.

well it took saban 4 years at LSU, and 3 years at Bama... but that doesn't really change anything

If we had his 08 offense, we'd have won one of our own by now... Especially in 2012
The road block for Saban in year two from playing in the title game was Meyer. Who kept Urban from winning his third title in year 5? Saban.

I don't think titles should be expected in year 2, but the general premise is the same. It doesn't take that long to know if a guy is THE coach or not. That article that was released a few years ago talked about this when it mentioned that only something like two coaches had won a title after being at their school more than 4 years in the BCS era. It was Mack Brown and somebody else. And you can add Dabo to that list now. The good ones show themselves early it doesn't take 4-5 years.

I don't think titles should be expected in year 2, but the general premise is the same. It doesn't take that long to know if a guy is THE coach or not. That article that was released a few years ago talked about this when it mentioned that only something like two coaches had won a title after being at their school more than 4 years in the BCS era. It was Mack Brown and somebody else. And you can add Dabo to that list now. The good ones show themselves early it doesn't take 4-5 years.

I am not expecting a title in year two, or even the first 4. But I would think fielding a sufficient offense in year three is not an unrealistic expectation. Hell, Insta said 4-5 years to have an offense, hell, your first two classes have come and gone in that time. And its not like teams are only winning with seniors, some positions like WR and RB see freshman produce.

As I said, if we fo out there and our offense is a shit show for the third year in a row there are problems. I would wager it doesn't take Herman at Texas into year three to produce offensively. Spurrier, Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Harbaugh, all had offenses clicking in year one and/or two. Truly good coaches show at least improvement in there first couple years.

The road block for Saban in year two from playing in the title game was Meyer. Who kept Urban from winning his third title in year 5? Saban.

I think Bama literally had no passing game that year we beat them in the SECCG. If my memory isn't bad they started pounding teams running the ball in year 2 but didn't get much help at all from the passing game until they beat us the next year and even that year they didn't pass it a whole lot..

I am not expecting a title in year two, or even the first 4. But I would think fielding a sufficient offense in year three is not an unrealistic expectation. Hell, Insta said 4-5 years to have an offense, hell, your first two classes have come and gone in that time. And its not like teams are only winning with seniors, some positions like WR and RB see freshman produce.

As I said, if we fo out there and our offense is a shit show for the third year in a row there are problems. I would wager it doesn't take Herman at Texas into year three to produce offensively. Spurrier, Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Harbaugh, all had offenses clicking in year one and/or two. Truly good coaches show at least improvement in there first couple years.

I know you're not. I mean it's Insta we're talking about. It's just a strawman used to kill any criticism, no matter how valid the criticism. Expect to see an improved offense? "Yep lets fire the coach because he hasn't won a championship in year 3!" Of course he can never find any quotes from all these people supposedly expecting to have won a title by now but he won't let that stop him. It's the narrative that matters.

Dabo was hire by Clemp's-son in 2008.
Won his first ACC Division-C in 2009 - 2nd year.
Won his first ACC-C in 2011 - 4th year.
Won his only NC in 2016 - 9th year.

Nick Saban
Hired by MichSt 1995-99 - Never even won the Big10-C
Hired by LSU 2000-2004 - SEC-C and NC in 2001 - 7th year Power 5 HC.

Even Steve Spurrier took 7 years at UF to win his first NC, and that was after being the HC at Duke for 4 years and the Bandits HC before that.

In just 2 years at UF, McElwain is:
19-8 Overall taking over a cluster program from a fired HC.
7-1 SEC & 6-2 SEC, 13-3 SEC regular season.
2X SECe-C but 0-2 vs UA in SEC-C.
And he's 11-1 while taking back the SWAMP.

But hey, let's just ignore all of those very positive facts, while we constantly run down on him for what he might or might not do in just his 3rd season as a brand new 1st time HC.... Kee-rist!!! :rolleyes:

Dabo didn't show out well early. He almost got fired after a few years at Clemson. The hiring of Chad Morris as his OC saved his job. He was 1 year away from getting fired.

Dabo didn't show out well early. He almost got fired after a few years at Clemson. The hiring of Chad Morris as his OC saved his job. He was 1 year away from getting fired.

I know? That's why I said we can add him to the list of coaches who won after 4-5 years.

. And you can add Dabo to that list now. The good ones show themselves early it doesn't take 4-5 years.

Dabo was named permanent HC at Clemson in 2008. His NC came last year. To be fair, he had a damn good team the year before too. So, he is now uber successful in year 7 or 8.

And to add to this thought, he is and was a great recruiter. Beat Meyer for players on a number of occasions for a number of players as both a assistant and as a HC for Clemson. So, even with great players, it took him awhile.

I think you guys misread my quote or maybe the way I typed it read wrong. I mentioned that there were only about 2 coaches in the BCS era to win a title after year 4-5 and then said that you could now add Dabo to the list. I was saying he can now also be added to the list to have won after 4-5 years.

Big picture, at least recently, it's still an outlier. For every coach that was mediocre to decent and finally broke through after a number of years there's a much longer list of coaches who started out mediocre and stayed mediocre. As the saying goes "you are what you are." There aren't a lot of coaches out there who lose 4 games a year for 4-5 years then all of a sudden win a title and become elite.

Saban won the SEC and the SB his 2nd year at LSU. He had an undefeated regular season in his 2nd year at Bama.

Tressel won it all his 2nd year, so did Stoops, PC finished top 5 his second year.

It normally doesn't take 4-5 years at an elite school

Mack Brown didnt finish top 5 until his 4th year, but had 2 top 15 finishes his first 3 years.

Dabo won his first ACC in his 3rd full year, but that team wasnt very good, his first top 10 finish was his 4th full year.

JF just won the Big 10, third year, Jimbo won the ACC and 12 games his 3rd year. Chris Petersen won the Pac 12 and reached cfp in his 3rd year

Not saying we need to win the SEC, in order for me to have faith in Mac going forward, but by year 3 an offensive minded coach, should have at least a decent offense.

Dabo was named permanent HC at Clemson in 2008. His NC came last year. To be fair, he had a damn good team the year before too. So, he is now uber successful in year 7 or 8.

And to add to this thought, he is and was a great recruiter. Beat Meyer for players on a number of occasions for a number of players as both a assistant and as a HC for Clemson. So, even with great players, it took him awhile.

His first full year was 2009, he won the ACC in year 3 (although they weren't that good, embarrassed in bowl) and won 11 games years 4 and 5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT