ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations

"Steve would throw in most any QB in the roster and expect them to be coached enough to throw for 250 yards or more with no picks."

I seem to remember a game where Dean and Wuerffel combined for 7-8 picks, AU I think? Int's happened all the time in Spurrier's Fun & Gun. He just expected the TD's to outmumber the Int's. o_O
==========

QB and OL were not the only clusters left for Mc. They also had 7 WR coaches in the precious 7-8 years, leading to a WR corp that had some talent, but little good coaching or confidence. Two of those 3 have already been repaired (OL & WR), and the 3rd (QB) is on the way,,, (we all hope). :cool:

" Its year 3, time for results."

This has already been said for the past 2 years. It seems that some thought that all Mc would have to do was snap his fingers to fix the cluster,,, after all, this is Florida. :rolleyes: --- And if it being Florida was such a big deal, then how did it become such a cluster to begin with? o_O
BS bandwagon fan expectation is how imo... Year 4 is the earliest that a demand for total corrections can be made, by anyone that's reasonable. Sooner is the exception, not the rule. But hey, continue to overlook all of the corrections that have already been made, and the incredible success and accomplishments that nobody predicted. o_O

~ iG might be the only one on earth that's said 9-10 wins was even possible in his 1st 2 years, but then I'm just an idiot Gator homer... :cool:
============

"he never whined about who he had on his roster, he would just plug and play...and more often than not, he kicked your ass."

Mc is 19-8, 13-3 SEC, and 11-1 in the SWAMP. Does that cover more often than not? :confused:
And Spurrier was left with a 1990 LOADED roster, and has said so many times over the years.
While Mc was left with a total offensive cluster, that got worse both years due to injuries. :oops:
==============

"Perfect. No reason for anything less than 12-1 based on all this, right?"

Building up your usual moronic 'Straw Man' instead of answering legit questions or sticking to the point. :confused:

"Steve would throw in most any QB in the roster and expect them to be coached enough to throw for 250 yards or more with no picks."

I seem to remember a game where Dean and Wuerffel combined for 7-8 picks, AU I think? Int's happened all the time in Spurrier's Fun & Gun. He just expected the TD's to outmumber the Int's. o_O
==========

QB and OL were not the only clusters left for Mc. They also had 7 WR coaches in the precious 7-8 years, leading to a WR corp that had some talent, but little good coaching or confidence. Two of those 3 have already been repaired (OL & WR), and the 3rd (QB) is on the way,,, (we all hope). :cool:

" Its year 3, time for results."

This has already been said for the past 2 years. It seems that some thought that all Mc would have to do was snap his fingers to fix the cluster,,, after all, this is Florida. :rolleyes: --- And if it being Florida was such a big deal, then how did it become such a cluster to begin with? o_O
BS bandwagon fan expectation is how imo... Year 4 is the earliest that a demand for total corrections can be made, by anyone that's reasonable. Sooner is the exception, not the rule. But hey, continue to overlook all of the corrections that have already been made, and the incredible success and accomplishments that nobody predicted. o_O

~ iG might be the only one on earth that's said 9-10 wins was even possible in his 1st 2 years, but then I'm just an idiot Gator homer... :cool:
============

"he never whined about who he had on his roster, he would just plug and play...and more often than not, he kicked your ass."

Mc is 19-8, 13-3 SEC, and 11-1 in the SWAMP. Does that cover more often than not? :confused:
And Spurrier was left with a 1990 LOADED roster, and has said so many times over the years.
While Mc was left with a total offensive cluster, that got worse both years due to injuries. :oops:
==============

"Perfect. No reason for anything less than 12-1 based on all this, right?"

Building up your usual moronic 'Straw Man' instead of answering legit questions or sticking to the point. :confused:

Are you trying to compare Mac and SOS.....lol

We will find out real quick if the O line is repaired or not against Michigan.

I refer you to the 2015 OL roster, and the 2017 OL roster.
Take a real hard look at both, and then give me your 'professional' opinion on what constitutes,,, repaired or not.... o_O

And on to bigger and better things.... ;)

This is a player that I though would blast onto the scene as a true Fr, but he has been patiently waiting behind several players that are all now playing on Sundays, He has also been learning his new positions (DE/DT) because he played OL in HS. This year is finally his time to have a break-out.

During his 2014 recruiting, former UF HC Will Muschamp.
"If he has the athleticism that I think he has, he's an All American DT." (OL 6-4 260)
He never actually played for Will, as he redshirted in 2014 and Will was gone by 2015.

Former Florida DC and current Temple head coach Geoff Collins goes even further. "I always thought he had J.J. Watt-ish ability," he says. "He's a physical freak, and he's gotten better every single day. He's an NFL player now with room to get better. It's a scary thought."

Jim McElwain -- "This guy is arguably the best athlete on our football team.
I'm sure many of the players would tell you the same thing."

"He's freaky now," DL coach Chris Rumph says. "If he can put it all together, he can be something special. His size and skill and assets are incredible. They are off the charts. He can go down as one of the really good players that have come out of this program." (considering UF Alums, that would truly be saying something) :cool:

Without any 'Official' numbers to go by,,,, why bother?
2017 DT/DE Taven Bryan 6-5 295 rsJr -- 'The Wyoming Wildman'
Approximate Numbers: 4.65/40 -- Squat 600+ -- Vert 40+

~ Worked and trained by his father, former Navy Seal Brandy Bryan.
"He told me I could do sports or work," Bryan says. "He tricked me, though. Cause now I have to do both." :oops: --- :D

The full article on the Gator's DL 'Wildman' is located here:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-florida-dl-drawing-comparisons-to-jj-watt

Bryan is another one of those no talent hacks left over by the last regime amirite? Or does that not fit the narrative?

Who has claimed no talent was left.

It was unbalanced talent. No OL depth..no RB Depth. No WR depth. Two QB's...both with discipline issues.

Usually when a coach gets fired, it's not because things are going well. Unbalanced rosters are usually left for ALL new hires. But IG would have you believe Mac inherited the worst roster in the country even though we're top 5 in players drafted the last three years.

Who has claimed no talent was left.

It was unbalanced talent. No OL depth..no RB Depth. No WR depth. Two QB's...both with discipline issues.

He was left a roster of NFL prospects two-deep on defense. He managed to win games with that roster (a credit to him). Now it is time for him to win and produce with the offense he built. This defense isn't going to win 13-7 every week. It was very unbalanced, but in fairness there is some positions Mac left a little thin as well. Time will tell.

Reactions: phxpanther
If Mac were to get fired today, the roster would be unbalanced for the next guy. That's the nature of the beast. Did we have holes on offense? Absolutely, but not bad enough to be 107th in offense in year 1 and then have it be even worse in year 2. Talent is all relative. We didn't have enough talent to be any kind of championship contender but we damn sure had enough to not be that bad. But some people wanna have their cake and eat it too. Whatever deficiencies we had on offense it's safe to say our defense was similarly stacked, in the 99th percentile of all CFB, but that gets glossed over somehow. Because it doesn't fit the narrative of a trainwreck roster that's a 5 year rebuild.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I refer you to the 2015 OL roster, and the 2017 OL roster.
Take a real hard look at both, and then give me your 'professional' opinion on what constitutes,,, repaired or not.... o_O

Whether we can run decent against Michigan or not. I see some issues still there myself.

Are you trying to compare Mac and SOS.....lol

Get someone with a brain to read and explain things for you,,, dumbazz... o_O
Sad brought up SOS and made the comparison, not me.
I just responded to it with my own observations and opinions. :rolleyes:

And any player or coach can be compared to another, it's done all the time, are you new (or just stupid)? And just in case you've also missed this, the sports writers have already made many comparisons between Mc an other coaches. W-TF-UP... :cool:

Usually when a coach gets fired, it's not because things are going well. Unbalanced rosters are usually left for ALL new hires. But IG would have you believe Mac inherited the worst roster in the country even though we're top 5 in players drafted the last three years.
Both of you guys are right. Hopefully we'll see a functional offense this year. All starts in the trenches.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
If Mac were to get fired today, the roster would be unbalanced for the next guy. That's the nature of the beast. Did we have holes on offense? Absolutely, but not bad enough to be 107th in offense in year 1 and then have it be even worse in year 2. Talent is all relative. We didn't have enough talent to be any kind of championship contender but we damn sure had enough to not be that bad. But some people wanna have their cake and eat it too. Whatever deficiencies we had on offense it's safe to say our defense was similarly stacked, in the 99th percentile of all CFB, but that gets glossed over somehow. Because it doesn't fit the narrative of a trainwreck roster that's a 5 year rebuild.
We were a whole lot worse than holes but I agree 107 is a total embarrassment.

All is true but we would be able to have a functional spring game.

I agree overall - I do think folks downplay what a dumpster fire we had on O when Mac arrived though. And you are correct - he had elite D talent and with all that the record was good, not great.

I don't so much care about the wins/losses as much as I care about how we fare vs. the elite teams. Even if we lose to FSU this year - is it competitive or another beat down?

Regardless how anyone views Mac's tenure so far though or the team he inherited - it's his team now. Year 3 should be a real step forward.

Reactions: GatorNation79
On TOS a writer said he has sensed Mac is not truly feeling as great about the OL as he is projecting to people

I have a feeling that RG position has been getting hammered some in practice and while Taylor has some talent he still struggles with those quick DEs some and on top of that we have Ivey at less than 100%. I think that # 73 on Michigan is going to blow up quite a few of our plays when he is lined up over the RG position. Heggie will hold up better probably but I doubt he can stop # 73 from disrupting things. I am hoping Taylor can hold up to the speed Gary has for a guy his size. Pretty sure Ivey will do alright unless he is hampered at game time.

I don't so much care about the wins/losses as much as I care about how we fare vs. the elite teams.

Regardless how anyone views Mac's tenure so far though or the team he inherited - it's his team now. Year 3 should be a real step forward.

this is the way most would judge

I have a feeling that RG position has been getting hammered some in practice and while Taylor has some talent he still struggles with those quick DEs some and on top of that we have Ivey at less than 100%. I think that # 73 on Michigan is going to blow up quite a few of our plays when he is lined up over the RG position. Heggie will hold up better probably but I doubt he can stop # 73 from disrupting things. I am hoping Taylor can hold up to the speed Gary has for a guy his size. Pretty sure Ivey will do alright unless he is hampered at game time.

Looks like there are 3 RG Possibilities:

RG Antonio Riles 6-4 328 rsJr (2016 starter at RG until Aug ACL injury)

RG/RT Fred Johnson 6-6 330 Jr (Fr starter at RT, lost job and moved to RG and RT backup)

RG/C/LC Tyler Jordan 6-4 310 Jr (the fill in guy across the OL)

Fully healthy, I'd perfer Riles as the starter, but that's just me.

Riverboat Gambler offense, and/or mind-ph....:confused:

iG's 'snow job tizzy' for the opposing HC/DC.... :D

Trot out both QB Trask and RB/wildcat Toney at the starters,,, and watch the hardblow and his all-world DC have immediate strokes in Arlington...:eek:

Even if it was only for 1 play, or for the 1st series if it's working, it would be well worth it either way. ;)

It's kind of like doing a 'disguised on-sides-kick' for your opening kick-off. Even if that doesn't work, the opposing coaches and players will be up-tight for the rest of the game, waiting for the 'other shoe' to drop... :oops:

Of course, that sort of effort takes the kind of 'pure guts and preparation' that most teams/coaches just don't have now days, and that's just too bad imoho.... :(

Last edited:
The Gator's have struggled since 2010. For those that wonder why?

How bout 9 different starting QB's in 7 years.
Of those 9 QB's, 8 were transfers. With 2 coming in and 6 going out.

There have been 3 different HC's in those 7 years. Just on the offensive side, those 3 HC's have had 5 OC's, 7 WR coaches, 5 QB coaches, and 4 recruiting coordinators.

Why has Gator QB recruiting been so hit and miss? A rising 9th-grade QB going to an elite summer camp in 2010 until the summer of 2013 potentially would have dealt with 3 UF OC's, 3 QB coaches and 3 recruiting coordinators.
------------

As to the Gator RB's, chew on this for a minute. Those that want/need a 1,000-yard Gator rusher every season (like WM did) should consider this. Spurrier won a mNC and 6 SEC titles with only 3 RB's who cracked that 1,000 yard barrier, and Meyer won 2 of each without ever having a 1,000-yard RB at Florida. However, if you look at the total output of their running games (committee runners) you might see why they won.

The Gator's have struggled since 2010. For those that wonder why?

How bout 9 different starting QB's in 7 years.
Of those 9 QB's, 8 were transfers. With 2 coming in and 6 going out.

There have been 3 different HC's in those 7 years. Just on the offensive side, those 3 HC's have had 5 OC's, 7 WR coaches, 5 QB coaches, and 4 recruiting coordinators.

Why has Gator QB recruiting been so hit and miss? A rising 9th-grade QB going to an elite summer camp in 2010 until the summer of 2013 potentially would have dealt with 3 UF OC's, 3 QB coaches and 3 recruiting coordinators.
------------

As to the Gator RB's, chew on this for a minute. Those that want/need a 1,000-yard Gator rusher every season (like WM did) should consider this. Spurrier won a mNC and 6 SEC titles with only 3 RB's who cracked that 1,000 yard barrier, and Meyer won 2 of each without ever having a 1,000-yard RB at Florida. However, if you look at the total output of their running games (committee runners) you might see why they won.

Well Thompson is 4th string so he wouldn't even be part of any committee. And Meyer rarely had a true RB, lots of Harvun and Tebow.

Having a 1,000 yd rusher helps with recruiting.

And lots of successful coaches lose coordinators a lot, its part of the deal. And I assume unless we improve greatly this year you can expect another OC mext year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT