ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year announces he is gay

Bryan Holt

Bull Gator
Jul 22, 2011
Former Missouri DE Michael Sam just announced in an interview currently airing on ESPN2 that he is homosexual. He will become the first openly gay NFL player when he is drafted this spring.

Originally posted by Bryan Holt:
Former Missouri DE Michael Sam just announced in an interview currently airing on ESPN2 that he is homosexual. He will become the first openly gay NFL player when he is drafted this spring.
Well yippie!
ohwell.r191677.gif

Very brave guy, but good for him. That being said, he has made a decision to "out" himself and he will have to deal with both the positive and negative consequences of that decision. While I'm sure he'll have a lot of support, there will be some that will say uncomfortable things and that's something he has to deal with. It's the way it goes and I hope he's assessed the pros/(cons) because players/coaches/fans (both supporters and non-supporters) are entitled to their opinions, whether well thought out, ignorant, or otherwise.

Helluva player! Just ask Tyler Murphy. He could play on my team any day....except he plays for the other team. Perplexing.

Originally posted by pshea:

Helluva player! Just ask Tyler Murphy. He could play on my team any day....except he plays for the other team. Perplexing.
Lol, that could be the new leader on an early "post of the year".

Kind of interesting timing. I would think he would have waited until after he was drafted and signed. I have to imagine, as much as it should not make a difference, that some teams would prefer not to have this issue looming.

Originally posted by misterburns:
Originally posted by gator285:
Blehhhhhhhh
sick0027.r191677.gif
classy, well thought out post
Like stated in an earlier post, it is an opinion, like it or not, not everyone is on board with the homosexual life style. Really nothing ignorant about it, just don't agree with it.

Originally posted by LTGator:

Kind of interesting timing. I would think he would have waited until after he was drafted and signed. I have to imagine, as much as it should not make a difference, that some teams would prefer not to have this issue looming.
Still well worth a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

Originally posted by tbbuc99:

Guy was a stud on the field. He's worth the same draft status as he had before the announcement. I just wonder aloud if his stock will drop. If anyone knows where he was projected before, I'd be curious if he is drafted well below that spot now.

Blehhhhhhhh
sick0027.r191677.gif
Like stated in an earlier post, it is an opinion, like it or not, not everyone is on board with the homosexual life style. Really nothing ignorant about it, just don't agree with it.
What is there to agree with?

Do you "agree" with someone being black?

good for him. with how progressive things are nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted earlier for the good pub.

I have to imagine, as much as it should not make a difference, that some teams would prefer not to have this issue looming.
Guy was a stud on the field. He's worth the same draft status as he had before the announcement. I just wonder aloud if his stock will drop. If anyone knows where he was projected before, I'd be curious if he is drafted well below that spot now.
I'm just saying, you asked if a team would prefer not to have the issue looming, I said it would still be worth a 3rd or 4th rd pick regardless.

Originally posted by ufklowery:
Blehhhhhhhh
sick0027.r191677.gif
That is dumb. Black, white, yellow, brown, you can't change a skin color. Homosexuality is a choice, be it a confused choice, it is still a choice. Oh and you can also disagree, it is your choice and opinion.

Blehhhhhhhh
sick0027.r191677.gif
That is dumb. Black, white, yellow, brown, you can't change a skin color. Homosexuality is a choice, be it a confused choice, it is still a choice. Oh and you can also disagree, it is your choice and opinion.
So is it your choice that you're straight, or gay, or whatever you "think" you are?
3dgrin.r191677.gif
. Just saying.

Blehhhhhhhh
sick0027.r191677.gif
What were you saying about ignorance? Because this is about as ignorant as it gets. There's quite a bit of science supporting the fact that it is not a choice.

You are one ignorant bastard.

This may work in Sam's favor. This news probably gives hesitation to certain teams in the middle of rebuilding and possibly teams with new coaches. He could now position himself to land on a team with an established locker room and defined leadership amongst the players.

I never understand why people make this such a black and white issue. "It's either a choice or it isn't". It has been proven that some people are predisposed to homosexuality. It's also not a secret that depending on how a child is raised can impact sexual preference. At some point most kids, youth, and adults have to decide whether to give into that predisposition so it partially is a "choice". It's a combination of a lot of factors. I am honestly tired of this being such a political debate. I can think of hundreds of things our politicians should be debating.

Good for him in that he doesn't have to live a lie forever. That would just be miserable. This is a big moment in sports.

Originally posted by Gator Legacy 08:
This may work in Sam's favor. This news probably gives hesitation to certain teams in the middle of rebuilding and possibly teams with new coaches. He could now position himself to land on a team with an established locker room and defined leadership amongst the players.
Except that many GMs, coaches and even teammates, including those that are fully supportive of him and homosexuality won't want the "media headache" that may come from it. It's not a very good comparison, but it's "baggage" that will likely get overcooked nonstop by the media, similar to interest in a bigtime player with character issues from their past. Again, not a good comparison and I know that, but the "distraction" and the headache could hurt him.

Originally posted by sg0508:

Originally posted by Gator Legacy 08:
Except that many GMs, coaches and even teammates, including those that are fully supportive of him and homosexuality won't want the "media headache" that may come from it. It's not a very good comparison, but it's "baggage" that will likely get overcooked nonstop by the media, similar to interest in a bigtime player with character issues from their past. Again, not a good comparison and I know that, but the "distraction" and the headache could hurt him.
I think teams like the 49ers, Saints, Giants, Packers, Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks all have strong locker rooms, coaches and front office staff that can overcome any scrutiny that this may bring the team that drafts Sam. This will remain a story for maybe 2-3 weeks after the draft after that I doubt this is news.

Players with character issues if surrounded buy a strong team and leadership foundation can overcome any outside distraction attempts. Look at Jimmy Smith when he was coming out of Colorado, he ended up in Baltimore and hasn't been talked about since for anything negative.

Regardless....

I find that it is a little interesting from this stand point... I'm not attacking the poster who said this but the idea that "a team will take him early for the publicity" because he is gay. Yet NFL owners have cast aside Tebow partly because "publicity" his Christian beliefs bring to a team. Yes I know there is more to the TT "castoff" but many have said they have passed on even having TT on the practice squad because "media circus", which exists because of his beliefs.

Hmmmm

Originally posted by bigg8tr:

Regardless....

I find that it is a little interesting from this stand point... I'm not attacking the poster who said this but the idea that "a team will take him early for the publicity" because he is gay. Yet NFL owners have cast aside Tebow partly because "publicity" his Christian beliefs bring to a team. Yes I know there is more to the TT "castoff" but many have said they have passed on even having TT on the practice squad because "media circus", which exists because of his beliefs.

Hmmmm
The media circus exists because of his stint in Denver. Very little of it has to do with his beliefs.

Well apparently he wasn't TOO Defensive an End....
This post was edited on 2/9 10:15 PM by g8rhoo

Originally posted by UND3ADxARMY95:
A confused choice? Lol wow the ignorance here is just sad
Again, opinion. Yours and mine. Don't think I'd call it ignorant, I listen to all opinions and then determine as I do, as does anyone else. To believe because someone disagrees with something it is because of ignorance is, well ignorant.

Good for him. He's a good player regardless. The NFL needs a culture change anyway, so here we go.

A confused choice? Lol wow the ignorance here is just sad
Again, opinion. Yours and mine. Don't think I'd call it ignorant, I listen to all opinions and then determine as I do, as does anyone else. To believe because someone disagrees with something it is because of ignorance is, well ignorant.
Again, you don't think it's ignorant to disagree with being black? I don't care if you don't think it's comparable. It is. Being gay is not a choice.

What were you saying about ignorance? Because this is about as ignorant as it gets. There's quite a bit of science supporting the fact that it is not a choice.

Thanks for your opinion ufklowery, science as it is can determine certain things, some definitive answers and some only partial answers, while sometimes things are still unknown. Truth is, I don't dislike homosexuals for their sexual orientation, I don't agree with the lifestyle, but I don't dislike them and tell them they shouldn't live that lifestyle, that would be ignorant, it is their choice to live that way. I would argue the abortion fact with you though since the baby has no opinion in killing it! To think otherwise, in my opinion would be ignorant, ask those who have had abortions about 10 years later, majority will tell you the same.

Thanks for your opinion ufklowery, science as it is can determine certain things, some definitive answers and some only partial answers, while sometimes things are still unknown. Truth is, I don't dislike homosexuals for their sexual orientation, I don't agree with the lifestyle, but I don't dislike them and tell them they shouldn't live that lifestyle, that would be ignorant, it is their choice to live that way. I would argue the abortion fact with you though since the baby has no opinion in killing it! To think otherwise, in my opinion would be ignorant, ask those who have had abortions about 10 years later, majority will tell you the same.
1. What the hell does that even mean?

2. What the hell are you bringing abortion up for?

Saying it is a "confused" choice is what bothers me
Ok, I will say you are correct to an extent. It is a choice period. Confused is a statement made by some people I have heard talking about living that lifestyle.

Saying it is a "confused" choice is what bothers me
Ok, I will say you are correct to an extent. It is a choice period. Confused is a statement made by some people I have heard talking about living that lifestyle.
Find any legitimate, peer-reviewed study proving that it is a choice.

Originally posted by bigg8tr:

Regardless....

Hmmmm
The media circus exists because of his stint in Denver. Very little of it has to do with his beliefs.
I disagree, TT has a high "Q" rating because who TT is. He is not ashamed to express his beliefs and opinions about his faith. Many people are fans of TT, outside of Gator fans, because of they way he expresses his beliefs and opinions about his faith. The media understands this and TT is the focus of many stories because of TT fan base. The media circus follows TT primarily because of who he is and not the football player he is. It is naive to think otherwise. Hence the comment that I made.

No team wants the TT "media circus" which is primarily driven by his faith, yet someone made the comment that some team might draft Sam high for the media attention.

1. What the hell does that even mean?

2. What the hell are you bringing abortion up for?
I agree, I don't think Michael Sam should be able to have an abortion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT