ADVERTISEMENT

NOVEMBER 3rd RUMOR MILL

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
Rumor Mill for November 3

Important Note: This is copyright protected content of GatorBait.net. DO NOT COPY any of the following on another message board (especially the national forum) whether it is a free or premium board. If you do so, you are violating copyright laws. Please respect the paying members of GatorBait.net.

Also, the Rumor Mill is NOT intended to be a comprehensive rundown of every position or every recruit on Florida’s board. If a recruit or a position isn't mentioned, it simply means we don't have anything new or interesting to share.

Bad asses

Ninety-nine percent of the time, although you appreciate their input, when a high school coach gives an overview or analysis of their own player, it means very little. I've had coaches play up kids to where you would think they were ready to skip college altogether and go straight to the NFL and those kids didn't have a single legitimate college offer.

Now when either an opposing coach or a coach who has no stake whatsoever builds up a player, you sit up and take notice.

That is what happened recently with LaShawn and James Pouncey. A coach who isn't associated with them, but was coaching at the San Antonio Combine last year, told me that as a duo they were the best offensive linemen there - manhandling some impressive defensive linemen.

Even more importantly he said they had a mean streak in them.

Don't underestimate how important that is for an offensive lineman. Usually growing up so much bigger than their contemporaries, they turn into gentle giants. That apparently isn't the case with these two.

This coach not only talked about how physical they are, he went into detail about how they were roughing up the defensive lineman they were going against.

The coach also had good things to say about Dreadnaught teammate John Brown. He raved about his motor, but said that he was a little on the short side.

Keep it quiet

From the 'Watch what you say department,' Michael McNeil may want to think it through before he says what's on his mind when he's being interviewed. Several weeks ago he told AuburnSports.com that while he was in the Gator locker room following the LSU game, in his opinion Urban Meyer was taking Auburn lightly and he was happy that Auburn won the game the following week.

Not long after the article was put up, that part was deleted.

Truthfully, they probably shouldn't have went with that, sometimes you have to protect these kids from themselves. However, on the other hand, I have spoken with McNeil a couple of times and going by those conversations (in which he came across very well), he's intelligent enough to know better than to say something like that.

From what I was told, that didn't sit well with Florida coaches and they have all but dropped him since. Now, lets not pretend that Florida had a great chance of landing him, because they didn't. But still, you never know how things are going to turn out and you're always better off not burning bridges.

Black Tuesday

When the newest version of the Rivals100 is released this coming Tuesday, it will resemble a blood letting for some of the most talked about prospects around the network. Players such as Caleb King, Deonte Thompson and Allen Bailey will drop some.

There will be some very good news for a couple of prospects in the Sunshine State as a couple of players will make significant jumps. There will be some great news for Gator Nation as Torrey Davis will move up from his No. 7 spot.

Don't be surprised to see at least one Gator lean (Carlos Dunlap) take a huge step forward. While another (Brandon Hicks) could make his Rivals100 debut.

Speaking of the Rivals100, I am a firm believer in not attempting to out think those in the know. Which is why I put more stock in confirmed offers from elite college programs than I do in any sort of personal evaluation done by anyone in the recruiting game.

Having said that, I don't see how someone such as Alphonso Bryant is included on such a prestigious list. I spoke with him before JC Shurburtt did this past week, and he informed me that coach Bill Miller (yes that Bill Miller) of Arizona State was the only coach calling him on a regular basis. He said that Kevin Steele from Florida State called, but not as often. While Miami on the other hand had dropped off him altogether.

How can you be considered among the best of the best when those in the know (college coaches) aren't interested enough in you to pick up a phone?

A full house

On Tuesday afternoon it was more than a little hard to hear Ian Williams say that he wouldn't be making his announcement at Friday's pep rally. As I wrote in the Alley Extra, when he informed me the day before that he wasn't sure whether or not he was going to commit, the writing was on the wall that there wasn't room for him at the moment.

When he messaged me on Tuesday that the announcement was off for sure, I called him to find out what was going on. I asked him if Florida told him they filled up or if they asked him to hold off, he replied, 'Something like that,' without saying which one it was.

I didn't want to press him because I felt bad for him. Florida has been the clear leader since being the first to offer, he's just caught up in a numbers crunch – as of now.

Williams said that Florida told him to hold off a couple of weeks. Could it be that they want to see where they stand with some other prospects who are coming in for the South Carolina game?

He isn't the only one who there might not be room for. Caleb King was trying to unofficially visit on the November 11th weekend as well, but was asked to hold off.

Armando Allen is coming in that weekend and is more than likely already in the bag. There are also several other options the Gators are still pursing as well.

If you are the Gators, you know you are in pretty damn good shape when you put the breaks on a Rivals100 kid who wants to visit.

Package Deals

Historically one of the most over hyped aspects of the recruiting process is the so called package deal.

Sure when it comes to players like LaShawn and James Pouncey, it goes without saying that if given the opportunity, nine times out of ten, they will attend the same school.

On the other hand when you hear people talking about Duke LemmensBen Martin or Cameron NewtonTerrance Toliver being package deals, don't read a lot into it.

First of all, the only reason any of them know each other is that they met one time at Florida's Friday Night Lights camp and since then have spoken on the phone.

I've talked to each one of them individually and to think that any of them would make a life decision based on what the other is doing is pure lunacy.
Now it could be construed as a positive for the Gators that Newton is already committed and talking to Toliver - absolutely. But it won't be a deciding factor by any stretch.

Another so called package deal is Damien BerryDeonte Thompson. First of all the rumor going around that they are cousins, is just that, a rumor. I've asked Thompson about it before and he said that they really weren't. Hell until this year, they weren't even teammates. Berry just transferred in from Suncoast.

That's not to say that they won't end up at the same place (it will be either Miami or Florida, no ifs and or buts about it), but it won't be because they are a package deal.

Interestingly enough, two players who are legitimately cousins, are Armando Allen and Demarcus Van Dyke. Both will be in Gainesville next weekend and though they have never considered themselves to be a package deal, it would be a huge surprise if the duo didn't end up attending the same college at this point in time.

Blind optimism?

I've never been accused of seeing the world through orange and blue colored glasses (although after reading this Rumor Mill, some may now start putting me in that category). However, after speaking with Sidell Corley Sr. on Monday night, I'll pass it along to the Gator Nation that I feel much stronger about his commitment to the Gators sticking than I have at any point since he made it back over the spring.

Even a month ago, I would have still put it at 50-50 between Florida and Alabama. Although he has maintained from the start that he is committed to Florida, Sidell Corley Jr. would always hedge his bet by saying that he was looking hard at the Tide and would visit.

By some of the things Mr. Corley said and the way he was talking have me believing that it is more likely 70-30 (if not better) for the Gators.

Florida will still have to sweat through his official visits, but as we reported in an Alley Extra a couple of days ago, he will be making his second unofficial to Gainesville next week for the South Carolina game.

Bits & pieces

Some of the rumors circulating are that Jevan Snead is looking to get from under Colt McCoy and out of Austin. One rumor had Florida as a possible destination, but don't look for him to stray far from home. From what I heard both Houston (ties to the coach) and Texas El Paso are more likely candidates.

A month ago, with the way the board was shaping up I was going by the assumption that Florida would only take only one more back in this class.
Now it looks like Allen and maybe one more. What makes Antwian Easterling attractive is not only his size, speed and stats, but also the fact that Northwestern is loaded for next year with at least three players who will more than likely be in the four-star category.

Right off the bat, you have to like the Hurricanes chances with Marcus Forston, but line mate Ben Jones may be every bit as good. Throw in receiver Aldarius Johnson and linebacker/safety Sean Spence and you are looking at the most talented team this side of Lakeland.

Although Chris Culliver has been calling Florida and Clemson his co-leaders publicly, privately Clemson is and has been the team to beat.

A little further up the page I wrote that to me rankings should be based on legitimate offers from major college programs. The problem that arises there is when a player claims offers that aren't really there. One such player is JUCO defensive end Brian Coulter. I have been told that his list of offers is more fantasy than reality.

In an Alley Extra this week, I said that it looked as if Carlos Dunlap was a Gator lean. From what I have been told, at this time, Florida is in much better shape than him being 'just a lean.'

I asked Robbie Andreu about his update which stated that the Gators are pursuing Robert Marve. According to him, and those who follow the Gators know he isn't going to put something up that he knows has no merit, it came from someone he trusted.

I spoke with Marve and he said that Florida hadn't offered and he wasn't visiting. We'll see how this plays out.

A late addition to the Mill, Demarcus Van Dyke emailed me last night that he has canceled his scheduled weekend trip to Knoxville to watch Tennessee at the urging of a coach (I won't say who). He will be in Gainesville next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News