ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting NOTEBOOK: June recruiting MEGA-UPDATE

Corey Bender

Administrator
Mar 26, 2018
Hey all,

I just wanted to break down some of the latest UF recruiting news here in one thread.

NO MORE OFFICIAL VISITS IN JUNE

The Gators were initially scheduled to host Kenyatta Jackson Jr. and Ja'Corey Thomas for official visits this week, but those are both scrapped. UF told them they are done with OVs this month, but there will be a ton of talent on campus this Friday for the Elite One Day Camp. We will have a full preview for that.

UF was still hoping to get Jackson on campus for an unofficial, but I spoke with Jackson's father last night and that will not be happening. They have been traveling throughout the whole month and are worn out. Jackson's mother is also pregnant, so they are going to get some well-deserved rest and return to campus at the beginning of the season. It will likely be an official visit.

"There were some changes so we are making plans to come during the season," Kenyatta Jackson's father told GT on Sunday. "The whole of June we have been traveling nonstop… JR. still has two more official visits after next weekend and UF is on the spreadsheet."

As for Thomas, that visit has yet to be rescheduled. The Gators, Miami, Florida State, Georgia and UCF are in his top five. He is fresh off official visits to Georgia and Miami, while FSU is the dream school considering both parents attended college there.

Fast-rising 2022 ATH Jaran Kanak will be on campus June 25-26. He has earned 17 offers since June 1, including ones from Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia and USC. He runs a 10.37 100-meter at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds. Florida is recruiting him to play linebacker. CLICK HERE for the story.

Four-star LB Wesley Bissainthe and 2023 Miami Central teammate Rueben Bain are also expected in Gainesville this week. Those will will be mid-week visits. Both hold offers from the Gators, but Bissainthe is more of a plan B at this time. UF offered him early on and then communication with Robinson dipped quite a bit. Coach Hova is the coach primarily speaking with him.

BUZZ FROM JUNE 18-20 OFFICIAL VISITS

As you guys already know, Florida has reeled in commitments from four-star prospects Shemar James and CJ Smith. Those are massive additions and ones UF can build momentum from. It will be intersting to see if WR Jayden Gibson moves up his decision timeline. UF plans to sign three receivers, but that number will likely change to four if they miss on Skinner and Delp. Evan Stewart and Gentry Williams are the additional top targets at WR, although Williams will likely end up at Oklahoma or USC. I think UF will finish third there.

For K Alex McPherson, I think it comes down to Florida and Auburn. The Tigers have been trending for a few months now, but there is a whole lot of comfort and familiarity in Gainesville. UF isn't pressuring him and wants him to make the decision that is best for him and his family. That really impressed McPherson, who says the love in Gainesville is genuine.

If McPherson doesn't end up in Gainesville, I expect Florida to offer Will Bettridge of Miami Gulliver Prep. I'm told Florida is the offer he is waiting on and that he could commit shortly after receiving it. The Gators are just waiting on a decision from McPherson, who will announce in July. That is the top kicking target. Georgia and Texas A&M are on his short list as well.

As for Rivals250 RB Terrance Gibbs, all eyes remain on the Gators. They remain on top and a decision is expected to come at some point before the end of the month. He is just waiting on his commitment video. The choice will be Florida over additional offers from Florida State, LSU and Tennessee.

With Elijah Blades, I thought a decision was going to come last night, but here we are playing the waiting game. Either way, I will be shocked if his choice is anyone but Florida. Both of his profile pictures on IG and Twitter are of him in the UF uniform. Prior to the visit, we were told Blades was more than likely going to be a Gator and haven't anything different. He should make an impact right at cornerback, while Jadarrius Perkins has the versatility to play safety or nickel. UF has options with him, while Blades is a traditional cornerback.

Commitment stories:

WR CJ Smith

LB Shemar James

Official visit recaps:

K Alex McPherson

OLB/DE DJ Wesolak

WR CJ Smith

RB Terrance Gibbs

GATORS FRESHMEN SET TO ENROLL ON MONDAY

TE Gage Wilcox and OT Yousef Mugharbil are set to enroll in Gainesville today. Missouri DB transfer Jadarrius Perkins is driving down and is expected in town as well.

As for the unfortunate news, I don't expect Rivals100 DL signee Tyreak Sapp in that group. I was told there has been some issues with his transcripts, which is surprising consider he is from St. Thomas Aquinas, but I've been hearing since last week that he won't be arriving today. UF believes he might be able to arrive by the time training camp starts, but that is 50/50. I just don't expect him on campus today unless I hear different. That's what we are hearing right now.

TOP TARGETS/COMMITS VISIT ELSEWHERE

STORY: Florida commit Isaiah Bond discusses 'eye-opening' visit to Alabama

Major UGA target Tyler Booker details his Georgia official visit

Rivals100 DT Walter Nolen - Michigan

Rivals100 WR Evan Stewart - Texas

Rivals100 DT Chris McClellan - USC

Rivals100 ATH Gentry Williams - USC

Rivals250 TE Jaleel Skinner - Alabama

Rivals250 RB Damari Alston - North Carolina

Rivals250 ATH Azareyeh Thomas - LSU

Rivals250 RB Kaytron Allen - Georgia

Four-star OG Qae'shon Sapp - Cincinnati