ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Evers decommits

fsu939913

Bull Gator
Jul 29, 2014
If I were you guys I wouldn't be surprised by this. Hiring/firing a new coach basically means you are forfeiting one ESD class. Best chance is to hit the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors
If I were you guys I wouldn't be surprised by this. Hiring/firing a new coach basically means you are forfeiting one ESD class. Beat chance is to hit the portal.
Hit portal for a QB? Even if Emory leaves we would have 3 in AR15, Del-Rio, and Kitna.

I'd rather get a high school graduate that we can develop and have a gap between the other two guys.

this one hurts bad...he's been all in even after Mullen was fired....he decommitted right after Napier's in-home visit too. Guess coach pulled the offer? I'm starting to worry about this hire, especially after his intro presser comment about not being concerned with "stars".

Reactions: fsu939913
lots of excitement over this hire but we don't really know if this is gonna work out. Yeah he did great at UL but so did Norvell and Frost at their respective non-P5 schools. I pray he proves me wrong and I'll gladly kiss his arse if he wins, but so far I lean toward we'll be doing this again in 4 yrs

Watch his presser again. What did he specifically say about the 22 recruiting class? It shouldn’t be all that surprising if you listened to his PC. Whether you agree with it or not it looks like he is doing exactly what he said he was going to do

Watch his presser again. What did he specifically say about the 22 recruiting class? It shouldn’t be all that surprising if you listened to his PC. Whether you agree with it or not it looks like he is doing exactly what he said he was going to do

We get that. But he is acting like he is Saban and can do what he wants because you know the results will come. Their is an arrogance that is a bit concerning. And his constant use of the word “patience” is weird.

i mean yeah Billy, nobody is judging you on this class, we get it, but stuff on the field, staff and recruiting aren’t improved at this time next year, you aren’t going to like Gainesville

we just fired a guy who went to an NY6 each of his first three years. While I get their were internal problems, to think this guy can just take his sweet time has proven never to work. He’ll get a year of trash football, but if year two isn’t trending up, well we’ve seen that story plenty of times

We get that. But he is acting like he is Saban and can do what he wants because you know the results will come. Their is an arrogance that is a bit concerning. And his constant use of the word “patience” is weird.

i mean yeah Billy, nobody is judging you on this class, we get it, but stuff on the field, staff and recruiting aren’t improved at this time next year, you aren’t going to like Gainesville

we just fired a guy who went to an NY6 each of his first three years. While I get their were internal problems, to think this guy can just take his sweet time has proven never to work. He’ll get a year of trash football, but if year two isn’t trending up, well we’ve seen that story plenty of times
You shouldn’t judge any coach on their transition class. More often then not transition classes aren’t very good. Meyer’s & Saban’s transition classes weren’t very good either and that was before we had an ESD. I’m not saying I necessarily agree with what Napier is doing but I can see where he is coming from and he did say in his PC to basically not expect much in this class. He even mentioned the word “elope”, etc. The 22 recruiting class was already not going to be that good under Mullen. My guess is he will go portal hunting pretty hard this first year and then back to heavily recruiting for the 23 class. He certainly has a plan. No idea if it is going to work or not but there is a method behind his madness.

this one hurts bad...he's been all in even after Mullen was fired....he decommitted right after Napier's in-home visit too. Guess coach pulled the offer? I'm starting to worry about this hire, especially after his intro presser comment about not being concerned with "stars".
I would be more worried if a coach said he was concerned with 'stars'.

I myself kind of saw this coming, eventhough I didn't want it to. Transition classes are a pain because they don't yield enough talent if any. Napier did say he would establish an infrastructure that emphasizes recruiting immensely. That takes time guys. So yes, for the first year we should expect him to put the name brand out there in Las Vegas and anywhere else he can in the country in hopes of getting a blue-chipper or two. Come '23 and beyond when his feet are firmly entrenched on recruiting trails he should do much better. Remember people, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Might be targeting another QB also which this kid didn't like. I hope he can get some more before it's over but I wouldn't be signing too many 3 stars unless you really like the player. I think Mullen was able to get Jones and Dean right before early signing day. Maybe a few others I can't remember now.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Disappointing but not completely unexpected. Great news is we have QB depth. Not sure if it's good depth, but there are highly rated players there. Will be a difficult class for certain. We will need to work the portal which is the best option at the moment.

I myself kind of saw this coming, eventhough I didn't want it to. Transition classes are a pain because they don't yield enough talent if any. Napier did say he would establish an infrastructure that emphasizes recruiting immensely. That takes time guys. So yes, for the first year we should expect him to put the name brand out there in Las Vegas and anywhere else he can in the country in hopes of getting a blue-chipper or two. Come '23 and beyond when his feet are firmly entrenched on recruiting trails he should do much better. Remember people, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I don’t think anyone expects a good transition class, that just isn’t a thing.

however, the billboard thing is a bit cheesy, like the Mac years. It screams “we hired the guy you have never heard of”. USC, LSU and Miami won’t be doing this.

While he may work out, and will certainly improve our internal structure, really no one outside of recruiting diehards has a clue who this guy is.

Hit portal for a QB? Even if Emory leaves we would have 3 in AR15, Del-Rio, and Kitna.

I'd rather get a high school graduate that we can develop and have a gap between the other two guys.

I meant overall for the portal, not just QB. Convincing high school kids in 2 weeks to come to you when they have 3 years of relationships with others is hard to do and I've never seen a good ESD class at any school when a coaching change was made. Best bet for any position is to go portal heavy.

I meant overall for the portal, not just QB. Convincing high school kids in 2 weeks to come to you when they have 3 years of relationships with others is hard to do and I've never seen a good ESD class at any school when a coaching change was made. Best bet for any position is to go portal heavy.
You are 100% correct. Recruiting is still all about “relationships”.

sadgator watched the press conference and was actually pretty impressed with Napier. He seems like a genuine and competent dude. He was thoughtful and eloquent in his comments. He was confident without at all seeming conceited, and he definitely has a clear blue-print in his head of what he wants to build.

That being said, sadgator’s heard tons about “plans” and “effort” and “culture” and “commitment” over the past 10+ years and none of it seems to materialize into any meaningful long-term sustained success, so it’s difficult to fully buy in. That will likely be Napier’s biggest challenge…getting everyone to actually believe and give him unconditional support.

You shouldn’t judge any coach on their transition class. More often then not transition classes aren’t very good. Meyer’s & Saban’s transition classes weren’t very good either and that was before we had an ESD.
Paco,

Forced to agree with you; also realize that unless we find some Florida recruits who just want to be Gators, a few 3*s are all that we will likely sign in this class.

Then when we recruit over the top of them in next year's class (assuming / hoping that we do !) they will transfer out & our roster troubles will continue unabated.

No easy fix here anytime soon.

I fervently hope that Napier's exposure to Saban's way of structuring his staff of analyst & recruiters will pay off.

If there was ever a need / time to build relationships with top quality recruits (for the next recruiting cycle unfortunately) it is NOW !

I would be more worried if a coach said he was concerned with 'stars'.
Frankly. this is old school way of thinking and needs to go the way of the dodo bird. It's what keeps us being mediocre. Since 2016 Bama has pulled more 5 stars from the state of Florida than Florida, FSU, and Miami COMBINED.

Gee, it's as if winning titles and recruiting 5 stars have a direct correlation. I want a coach concerned with stars, sorry....if at least he does in practice but doesn't say it out loud publicly.

Everything you read sounds like a love story. But the 7.5 million dollar question is will this actually play? Only time will tell. Unlike everyone else on here I've been watching football for 40 years so I'll just wait and see. lmao

Mullen wasn't too bad his fIrst class rankings wise (#14) considering he took over just before early signing day also. I think Mullen signed 14 of the 20 in that class on early signing day. I think he got like 3 to switch to UF right before early signing day.

The only thing that would worry me which people might be harping on too much is if he did tick off some high schools with some of these recruits.

Mullen wasn't too bad his fIrst class rankings wise (#14) considering he took over just before early signing day also. I think Mullen signed 14 of the 20 in that class on early signing day. I think he got like 3 to switch to UF right before early signing day.

The only thing that would worry me which people might be harping on too much is if he did tick off some high schools with some of these recruits.
How many guys from Mullen’s transition class actually contributed? It’s not about ranking because if you re-rank that 2018 class now it certainly isnt’t #14. Half the kids from that class aren’t even at UF anymore.

How many guys from Mullen’s transition class actually contributed? It’s not about ranking because if you re-rank that 2018 class now it certainly isnt’t #14. Half the kids from that class aren’t even at UF anymore.
Quite a few I think. I will look it up and see and post it here. I am not sure how many were Mac's recruits that stayed committed.

Quite a few I think. I will look it up and see and post it here. I am not sure how many were Mac's recruits that stayed committed.
About half the kids contributed and the other half didn’t even finish at UF. I wouldn’t call that a very good class.

Yes, but….

1. You, yourself, posted the day Napier was announced this very kid re-confirmed his commitent, now after meeting with Napier he de-committs. Not good.

2. Yes, ranking doesn’t mean everything, but if we sit outside the top 50 (currently 69) you aren’t recovering that regardless of the 2023 class

Mullen's 2018 transition class contributors:

Kyle Pitts
Dameon Pierce
Emory Jones
Trey Dean
Amari Burney
Ricard Gouraige
Jacob Copeland
Evan McPherson
Yep. Not very impressive and then the other half of the class isn’t even at UF anymore. So 50% of the class didn’t even contribute or play. That’s pretty bad. Again not all Mullen’s fault but that is a transition class for you. Pitts, Pierce and McPherson (a kicker) are about the only ones that really were “hits” out of the class.

2. Yes, ranking doesn’t mean everything, but if we sit outside the top 50 (currently 69) you aren’t recovering that regardless of the 2023 class
I strongly disagree with this because most transition classes aren’t that good to begin with. They don’t typically give you a lot of high end contributors. You can fill the gaps temporarily with transfer portal, etc and then recruit the 2023 class hard. A coaches transition class isn’t going to make or break or determine whether a coach is successful or not. Now if his 2023 and 2024 class isn’t good then yes that is where trouble could come.

Yep. Not very impressive and then the other half of the class isn’t even at UF anymore. So 50% of the class didn’t even contribute or play. That’s pretty bad. Again not all Mullen’s fault but that is a transition class for you. Pitts, Pierce and McPherson (a kicker) are about the only ones that really were “hits” out of the class.
Actually it might not be that bad (but might be wrong) especially being the first year with early signing I think but I am curious and will see what contributers came from Mac's 1st class with no early signing period.

Are we leaving out Jefferson and Grimes to prove a point?

He actually brought in some very key contributors his first year

Lie, cheat, steal, abuse, cover-up, pay-off, break rules, use money to buy your way.

Because all that really matters in this instance, is getting the highly ranked 'entitled athletes,' and winning championships for the 'entitled' fan base and alumni.

Principles are for the naive jerks of the world that don't understand how things work now days at S-U....

Are we leaving out Jefferson and Grimes to prove a point?

He actually brought in some very key contributors his first year
Those were transfer portal guys not in his recruiting class. Not sure I’m following you?

I strongly disagree with this because most transition classes aren’t that good to begin with. They don’t typically give you a lot of high end contributors. You can fill the gaps temporarily with transfer portal, etc and then recruit the 2023 class hard. A coaches transition class isn’t going to make or break or determine whether a coach is successful or not. Now if his 2023 and 2024 class isn’t good then yes that is where trouble could come.

I see you skipped past point 1. The thing is while it does take time, if you step back and take off the blue and orange glasses, the first 72 hours have not left a good look.

and OK, he wants a few NFL guys, but 8????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT