ADVERTISEMENT

my quick thoughts -- and one Edit

kcflagator

Chomp Artist
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
"Change" is now here in full force. So, if everyone knows that the status quo is not an option, what happens?

1. I have said all along that firing BN after 2 years was not an option for a myriad of reasons that have been discussed in detail here (including $35m+ reasons). Plus, Billy has done some really good things at UF. The infrastructure that he installed is outstanding. He has also represented the University well. The culture of laziness, poor management, crappy recruiting, etc. have significantly improved (and trust me, it was an absolute mess). But the wins and losses over the past 2 seasons are simply not acceptable. The people who matter know this and demand better.

2. So, given #1, what do you do? You have to change out those coaches and staff who are not improving. It is that simple. And it will be more than just the position coaches (yes, there are more position coaches to depart in the coming days). This is a hard reset. And let's face it: if you brought in a new head coach, we would have the same problem - but worse - because I fully believe that Billy will land a very good class (and portal class) this year - and much better than a new coach would bring in. I believe that the change will be dramatic. I am not convinced that everyone IMO who should be let go will be let go (maybe in just one instance), but this is going to be more than just firing 2 defensive coaches. I am repeating myself: This will be a hard reset.

3. The people who need to be involved in the new "plan" are involved and that is likely the most encouraging part of this to me. I know that is vague, but it must stay that way.

4. If results don't come after this hard reset, then I think Billy's fate is cast. Mullen's contract was renewed too early, and it literally cost us a ton when it was time to say goodbye. That won't happen here in my opinion. Our schedule next year is criminal. I am not going to put down a must win number. But there absolutely has to be obvious, objective, material improvement in ALL 3 PHASES of the game - improvement that all of Gator Nation sees. BN was hit with the world of NIL and the portal and those were new things that dragged him down a bit. IMO, he was not prepared for it. But Napier is a really smart guy. He is a great people person. Firing people is new to him, and I am sure was unpleasant. But he did it less than 48 hours after the FSU game. That shows me something. I can tell you that he 100% understands what he has to do to remain the football coach at UF: win football games. People have asked me if he gets it? Yes, he does. Can he do it? That is to be determined. I sure as hell hope so. Napier is 100% committed to winning. He understands that UF regularly going 8-4 will not result in him being here long-term. Yesterday's changes were the first step in the reboot. There are more steps along the way, and they will be revealed in short order.

KC

One quick EDIT:
And remember, when you get rid of position coaches, it elevates the risk of a portal exodus. So, an entire position group could be decimated. That makes the reboot all the more difficult. Losing seasons, plus position coach changes, makes a longer road for recovery. Now, if the departing players needed to depart anyway, so be it. But, I am just saying: These coaching moves will affect recruiting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News