ADVERTISEMENT

My 2 cents on our football program

SRGators

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2001
I thought I'd jump in here and give you all my opinion on where we are as a football program,. and where we are headed. First, I'd like to say that the 3 people who have the most invested in our football program are Scott Stricklin, Billy Napier and SR Gators. I hurt to the core when I see us lose like we did yesterday. Had a chance to spend time with Jason and BBlake, met KC...all great people and great and passionate Gators.

I am all in on Billy Napier as our head football coach...all in. One thing I think I can evaluate and access, is leadership skills and ability. Billy oozes of leadership ability. Everyone loves working for him and with him...everyone. He has a tough and hard side to him...believe me...I've seen it. He's not a big drama queen like Dabo or Gundy...or the clown at Missouri...but he has an absolute toughness to him. That said, I think he is just maybe an above average OC...not an elite OC...and we need an elite OC. We all saw Trey catch 2 TD's in the 1st quarter, then disappear until the 4th quarter...really? Etienne getting the same number of touches as Johnson? In my opinion, we lost that game yesterday the first drive after halftime. We are tied at 17 and we get the ball. We get a ho...hum 1st down then a ho...hum 3 and out. We had a chance to take charge of the game. No Trey Wilson on the field? Enough said.

We need a serious upgrade at OL...coaching and players. Hopefully we close with Edwin and Seaton...that will help a lot. Do our OL coaches recruit with passion? I love them both personally, but somehow we need to get way better in a hurry...way better. Every other position is getting way better.

Let me tell you a few other things I really like about Napier. He love where he is at UF. He is a tireless worker. He's extremely bright. He's likeable, as I said, and that resonates with his staff and also with recruiting. This board worships at times the BD, Inc. crowd and also SRGators for what we do for recruiting. I love the BD Inc guys and they do so much, but guess what? They were there with Mullen as well, and how did we do? Not so well! My point is, our staff under Napier are tireless and relentless recruiters. From our assistants (the majority of them) to Katie Turner and Bri Wade...Jacob LaFrance, Bird Sherrill, on and on...relentless! I know a staffer that told me he spends 1-2 hours every night with Napier calling and texting recruits. It's not BD, Inc or SRGators getting us in the recruiting position we are in, its Coach Napier and his staff.

If Billy takes the CEO role and does what he needs to do with his staff, we are in for great things in the not too distant future. I had a peek at our '24 schedule, and it is really challenging...especially the back half. In '25 I feel we will be in a position to go to Jacksonville and compete for a chance to play in Atlanta. We will still be a bit young, but we will be extremely talented...if we can stock up that OL!

Go Gators...Gary

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News