ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp was right about one thing....

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
...the 2014 team had plenty of talent. Too bad a large portion of it went to the NFL.

"One of the more plausible theories for Florida's disappointing 2014 football season is that the Gators simply lacked overall talent.

It makes sense. It seems like as good an explanation as any for why the Gators struggled so much on offense, why they barely won more games than they lost, why they were unable to save Will Muschamp's job.

But the NFL draft has inflicted severe damage to the lack-of-talent theory. Actually, it blew it up.

Over the three days, the Gators had eight players drafted, including two in the first round and two in the third. The total number is uncommonly high for a team that experienced the kind of season Florida did in 2014.

To put it in perspective, the 2009 Tim Tebow team, considered one of the most talented in school history, produced just one more draft pick (nine) than this one that got its coach fired.

The Florida draft record is 10, set in 1978, but there were five more rounds at that time.

Six of the Gators drafted were on offense, considered the biggest problem area on last season's team.

After defensive end/outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. and offensive tackle D.J. Humphries were taken in the first round Thursday, and offensive tackle Chaz Green and tailback Matt Jones were selected in the third Friday, four more Gators were drafted Saturday.

Center Max Garcia was selected in the fourth round by Denver, linebacker Neiron Ball in the fifth by Oakland, wide receiver Andre Debose in the seventh by the Raiders and Trenton Brown in the seventh by San Francisco.

The first Gator off the board Saturday was Garcia, who was selected in the fourth round by the Broncos with the 133rd overall pick.

Garcia, a transfer from Maryland, started 12 games at left guard and center as a junior in 2013. He made the move to center last spring and started every game at his new position, grading out consistently high.

Garcia said he feels comfortable with the Broncos' blocking scheme, which is similar to what he played in at UF.

“I think I'm a great fit for the Broncos for what they do as far as zone blocking," he said. "I feel like I can get up to that second level in combinations with the center and guard."

Garcia said he's not certain which position he'll play at the next level — guard or center.

“I'm listed as a center/guard, so I can be anywhere between the two," he said. "That's where I'm going to play at, wherever they want me, it doesn't matter."

Garcia's versatility and strong work ethic give him a chance to be a player at the next level. He said his experience at the Senior Bowl also has been invaluable.

"It made me realize that sometimes that you're not as good as you think you are, or that there are players out there that are extremely talented," Garcia said. "I kind of got that realization when I was out there.

"It increased my work ethic and gave me things I needed to work on after the Senior Bowl. I did do a good job out there. I left as the best center out there at the Senior Bowl. It was just a great opportunity to go against that type of competition."

While Garcia was projected by most to be drafted somewhere in the first five rounds, there was some doubt whether Ball would even get drafted. But that uncertainty ended when the Raiders selected him in the fifth round.

“Man, it means a lot. It's definitely a dream come true, and man, I just feel like I'm just so blessed,” Ball said. “I can't really explain the feeling that I'm going through right now.”

Ball missed the last three games of his senior season with a knee injury that required surgery. He said he's 100 percent recovered. He participated in UF's Pro Day three weeks ago and impressed scouts with his combination of size, speed and versatility. He also was an excellent special teams player for the Gators.

Ball said he's not sure where he'll be lining up when he arrives in Oakland.

“I'm trying to fit in wherever the coaches need me and whatever puts us in the best situations to win football games,” he said. “But I feel like I'm best at planting the ball, covering and pass rushing.”

Debose was drafted by the Raiders two rounds later despite the fact he had zero catches this past season. He'll have a chance to earn a roster spot on special teams. He returned a school-record four kickoffs for touchdowns during his UF career.

"Special teams is definitely my way of getting my foot in the door,” Debose said. “That's what I'm going to get thrown into. I'm perfectly fine with that, but I am also looking forward to showing what I can do as a receiver.”

I said it all year long that there was plenty of talent on the team. Some in here disagreed with me. The NFL draft proves that some scouts believe what I believed. Good talent that was poorly coached and poor offensive scheme. Having a bad QB didn't help, but this team could have been better with a better record.

I hate articles like this. In order to win at the highest levels you need not only great frontline talent, but lots of depth. And you need talent in all areas. I'm not understanding how 8 guys being drafted is proof that the entire roster is talented. Particularly when most of those guys were midround draftees. We had two 1st rounders but only Fowler played like a 1st rounder here. Humphries was drafted in the 1st because of raw talent, he wasn't even our best lineman.

I hate articles like this. In order to win at the highest levels you need not only great frontline talent, but lots of depth. And you need talent in all areas. I'm not understanding how 8 guys being drafted is proof that the entire roster is talented. Particularly when most of those guys were midround draftees. We had two 1st rounders but only Fowler played like a 1st rounder here. Humphries was drafted in the 1st because of raw talent, he wasn't even our best lineman.

We had a player drafted from just about every position on the field, except for defensive back and that was just because we didn't have any draft eligible players from the secondary. You scoff as if a mid-round draftee is no big deal. I would say still that if a team uses a 3rd and 4th round draft pick on you they think you can play and contribute in to their franchise. We lost lots of game this past year because of terrible coaching, poor scheme and poor QB. Last year our talent was much better than what our record indicated.

That's relative, and you can't just discount the poor QB play. You aren't winning anything without a QB. We sucked at the two most important positions on the team in QB and OL. That can bring the rest of the team down as it did with us. And my major point is that it isn't enough to have good frontline starters. I argued the exact same thing during the season. Sure, some of our starters can play with anyone, but after them our talent and depth drops off a cliff. So on the whole, we aren't that talented. I don't think anyone ever argued we didn't have talented starters in some spots.

That's relative, and you can't just discount the poor QB play. You aren't winning anything without a QB. We sucked at the two most important positions on the team in QB and OL. That can bring the rest of the team down as it did with us. And my major point is that it isn't enough to have good frontline starters. I argued the exact same thing during the season. Sure, some of our starters can play with anyone, but after them our talent and depth drops off a cliff. So on the whole, we aren't that talented. I don't think anyone ever argued we didn't have talented starters in some spots.

I disagree that we sucked on the OL this year. We had a pretty good oline that is very well coached.

The OL wasn't terrible. Our offensive scheme had to be severely dumbed down to compensate for our QB situation. SEC defenses picked up on this and threw exotic blitz packages at us, knowing our QB and receivers were incapable of making them pay. Missouri especially the last 2 years smelled blood in the water when they lined up against us.

Except Georgia of course, who laid a Muschamp sized chud on the field in Jax. Individually and as a group, our OL last year wasn't bad.

This years OL is gonna be a much different story.

Yea Paco I actually agree with you, that was definitely some hyperbole by me there. They were solid given the amount of pressure put on them. But I would say they definitely didn't play to their draft positions. 3 of our starters went in the top 4 rounds of the draft and 2 others were drafted late. I'm pretty sure we're the only school in the country who had every o-line starter drafted, we should have obliterated people upfront.

By then you will be in therapy from all my dick downs of your family members stuck in your head

MY DICK

NOLES FAMILY MOUTHS

article-0-16BEA2F0000005DC-353_634x573.jpg
------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I started this thread as a bit of snark. Well, more than a bit. Turns out to be prophetic. There are several players doing much better with this coaching staff than they did with the last one. Especially on offense. To be sure, we would not be doing as well were it not for some very talented true freshman.

I guess Mac was right we he said, " I can coach my dog to play good football."

I'll say it again. This team has much more talent on or than it was given credit for. Last year as well. Again coaching has been a major major problem why all this talent wasn't being developed. All of a sudden a good coaching staff comes in and your already seeing a difference and development of players.

Muschamp's wasn't right, he was just being a douchebag. He had no clue whether there were talented players. There was no Halter, no Ivey, no Callaway, 6 commitments for the 2015 class, Harris was the starting QB, and Brandon Powell was a 3rd string running back when he made that statement.

Please don't give the WORST head coach in college football history any more credit than he deserves

Reactions: Deathroll
Muschamp's wasn't right, he was just being a douchebag. He had no clue whether there were talented players. There was no Halter, no Ivey, no Callaway, 6 commitments for the 2015 class, Harris was the starting QB, and Brandon Powell was a 3rd string running back when he made that statement.

Please don't give the WORST head coach in college football history any more credit than he deserves
I don't think that anyone is giving him much credit on this one. The whole thread is a slam. Either way I don't really care...if we had to go through Muscrap to get Mac...I'll take it. I love what Mac is doing.

I'll say it again. This team has much more talent on or than it was given credit for. Last year as well. Again coaching has been a major major problem why all this talent wasn't being developed. All of a sudden a good coaching staff comes in and your already seeing a difference and development of players.
I agree 100%.

CWM had the talent here, he just didn't know what to do with it on the O side. He hired the wrong coaches, starting with Fat Charlie, and no coaching stability on that side of the ball.

Now we have a HC that knows the Offense side, as long as we can keep the talent and execution going on the D side, I think we have another good run of 4 to 5 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT