ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to move back to Florida...advice?

Dannygator1989

Bull Gator
Feb 28, 2005
So once I finish up my masters in education, I want to move back home, but I don't think I can deal with the monstrosity that Tampa/St. Pete has become.

I'm interested in a smaller, perhaps more rural place, and it's been recommended I look into that area in between Ocala and Miami metro (probably inland). The kind of place that is low key and has locals bars.

So, any suggestions?

Between Ocala and Miami is pretty damn big range...but yeah, a lot of that is like Alabama in a lot of ways...

Overall, you'd be more happy I think being within easy reach of Tampa area...find a more rural area within about 30 min.

I think you need to narrow your range as many different cultures exist within that stretch.

Originally posted by GatorGray:
Danny, you need to look at St. Augustine. It has you written all over it.
Everyone sit down. I agree with Gray on this one.

St. Auggie is a gem.

Originally posted by goldmom:
Originally posted by GatorGray:
Danny, you need to look at St. Augustine. It has you written all over it.
Everyone sit down. I agree with Gray on this one.

St. Auggie is a gem.
200_s.gif

Either of you tried the Ice Plant in St. Augustine? I heard it is one of the better craft cocktail bars in the state. Planning on checking it out whenever I get the chance.

Totally agreed with both of you on that city, very cool spot. Tons of good food for such a small city.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:37 PM by BringBackBonner

I think St. Augustine would be a fine place to live. Close to the water, plenty of places to eat and drink and look at the funny people. Generally relaxed atmosphere.

Originally posted by BringBackBonner:
Either of you tried the Ice Plant in St. Augustine? I heard it is one of the better craft cocktail bars in the state. Planning on checking it out whenever I get the chance.

Totally agreed with both of you on that city, very cool spot. Tons of good food for such a small city.

I have not, but plan to the next time I am in St. Aug.

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
I'm a little surprised St. Aug is the general consensus. But I will look into it.
It's a nice place to live. If you end up getting a job in Jax, it's a 45 minute commute with regular traffic.

Originally posted by passoverGator:

I'm a little surprised St. Aug is the general consensus. But I will look into it.
It's a nice place to live. If you end up getting a job in Jax, it's a 45 minute commute with regular traffic.
Well look at you, obeying the speed limit and all....
laugh.r191677.gif

That's IF you work in downtown Jax. My brother lives in St. Aug and works in Jax on the Southside. 30 minutes door to door.
My son lives off 210 and works in downtown Jax. Same time. They are finally finishing up a big project on 95 between Old St. Augustine Rd. and 210 and 9B will be open this summer, and will siphon off a good bit of traffic needing to connect with 295 and vice versa south of the original spaghetti junction. St. Johns County is growing fast, listed as Florida's wealthiest county as well as its healthiest and if that's not enough, it has the #1 rated school system in the state.

Originally posted by goldmom:
Originally posted by passoverGator:

laugh.r191677.gif

That's IF you work in downtown Jax. My brother lives in St. Aug and works in Jax on the Southside. 30 minutes door to door.
My son lives off 210 and works in downtown Jax. Same time. They are finally finishing up a big project on 95 between Old St. Augustine Rd. and 210 and 9B will be open this summer, and will siphon off a good bit of traffic needing to connect with 295 and vice versa south of the original spaghetti junction. St. Johns County is growing fast, listed as Florida's wealthiest county as well as its healthiest and if that's not enough, it has the #1 rated school system in the state.
LOL

I used to have to drive from Southside to 9B but was forced to exit on Philips. Be glad when that project is finished.

I recommend Jacksonville. The beaches are as nice as anywhere and have a lot of fun bars. I lived downtown in San Marco, which was nice and affordable (in places). There are a bunch of nice neighborhoods surrounding downtown. I liked San Marco and Riverside best.

I was just in Miami and was impressed. North Beach was awesome, although I'm sure insanely expensive. The Edgewater neighborhood had a lot going on.

Originally posted by BringBackBonner:

I've been to the Ice Plant. My wife and I went there for a drink after our anniversary dinner while Goldmom was babysitting her granddaughter
3dgrin.r191677.gif
. Great spot on Riberia street and their signature cocktail list is pretty interesting and the craft beer selection is excellent.

I agree with the suggestions on St Augustine. While I technically live in St Augustine and have a St Augustine address, I'm about 20-25 minutes from downtown. I live off CR 210 which is a Jacksonville address if you live north of the road and St Augustine if you live south of the road.

I know plenty of people who live in St Augustine and commute to downtown Jacksonville. I'm one of them
3dgrin.r191677.gif
. The vibe in St Augustine is pretty killer and it's very laid back. Although the St Augustine I live in is basically suburbia, it can't hurt to live in a town that has a distillery, winery and soon-to-be-opened craft brewery. The nightlife and restaurants are fantastic there. To me, St Augustine is almost like a cross between New Orleans and Key West. That's just me though. World Golf Village is right up the road and getting to Daytona and Orlando is a breeze.

Depending on what you do, the commute could wind up taking you to the Southside of JAX. That seems to be where most of the corporate environment is shifting. 95 can be a pain in the ass, especially when you hit the poorly planned and designed intersection with JTB.

Originally posted by bradleygator:
I recommend Jacksonville. The beaches are as nice as anywhere and have a lot of fun bars. I lived downtown in San Marco, which was nice and affordable (in places). There are a bunch of nice neighborhoods surrounding downtown. I liked San Marco and Riverside best.

I was just in Miami and was impressed. North Beach was awesome, although I'm sure insanely expensive. The Edgewater neighborhood had a lot going on.
Hey Bradley, I grew up in San Marco and own a home there. What street did you live on?

Pass, I lived on Atlantic down toward the Phillips Highway. I was down the street from European Street, where I hung out often, downing two-for-one tall boys.

laugh.r191677.gif

St Augustine is nice. It's an odd place traffic wise, it has the most traffic I've ever seen for such a small community. It's hard to go anywhere quickly depending on if you are on the island or inland. Have you been on 295E (used to be 9A) lately? It's a fricken zoo! They have all that right of way, they best start building new lanes pronto!

Pass, I lived on Atlantic down toward the Phillips Highway. I was down the street from European Street, where I hung out often, downing two-for-one tall boys.

We used to go to E Street all the time when we still lived in Duval County. Can't beat two-for-one 23 oz beers. Good beer at that.

Yeah, E Street was a great hangout. They ran the 2-for-1 happy hour all weekend when I first started hanging out there. They called it off after a while though. The bar area would be a zoo by about 5 on Saturday, and I think it was freaking out the normals.

The location in San Marco still does happy hour all weekend I think. The Beach location, which we went to most often, doesn't do it anymore. LOL, they seem to carry a lot more IPAs than the other locations and that place would be packed with drunks all the time.

We used to go when it was Mr. Dunderbaks at Regency. They started limiting people to 4 beers. Seems like a lot now but at the time.......

I grew up with the owner's children. Nice family. Mr. Zarka died a few years back though. Not sure if they still own it or not.

I remember when he passed away. The Times-Union had an article about him and the timeline of European Street.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT