ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s not forget that the Tennessee game is in the Swamp…

635788980774683764-USATSI-8826851.jpg

It's going to take the Swamp and a big defensive performance to win this game. I hope Napier has a good plan for offense because if we run about the same plan we did in Utah it's not going to be pretty as they get after the QB a lot better than Utah does and that attacking style limits most running plays to just a few yards also but they do give up a few big running plays. Their weakness is passes down the field if the QB can buy enough time to make the pass.

It's going to take the Swamp and a big defensive performance to win this game. I hope Napier has a good plan for offense because if we run about the same plan we did in Utah it's not going to be pretty as they get after the QB a lot better than Utah does and that attacking style limits most running plays to just a few yards also but they do give up a few big running plays. Their weakness is passes down the field if the QB can buy enough time to make the pass.
Utah run defense is actually better than vols. Doesn't show up in the first two games as vols played ACC bottom feeder UVA and crappy D2 Austin Peay.

Utah run defense is actually better than vols. Doesn't show up in the first two games as vols played ACC bottom feeder UVA and crappy D2 Austin Peay.

Well last year in the SEC only Georgia gave up less rushing yards. With how they constantly bring pressure the QB doesn't get much time unless he can run around and buy extra time. Mertz is going to have to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly or we could have as many sacks as the Utah game. In all those games like ours last season where they gave up a bunch of passing yards they are on the QB very fast. They did the same thing to Bama as us but Young like Richardson was able to move just enough to find a lot of receivers down field even though they lost the game.

Last edited:

I think UT's defense is better but pass defense is Achilles heel. Their offense has taken a step backwards but still dangerous. Running backs are average with no game breakers. Their o-line is better than average and Joe Milton is more of a game manager than playmaker. He has 7 tds passing/running with no interceptions.
However, it's not going to take a Herculean effort to beat the Vols as initially believed. Their advantage is they are more veteran/experienced than the Gators, but the Swamp can be an equalizer. This will be played down to the wire.

I think UT's defense is better but pass defense is Achilles heel. Their offense has taken a step backwards but still dangerous. Running backs are average with no game breakers. Their o-line is better than average and Joe Milton is more of a game manager than playmaker. He has 7 tds passing/running with no interceptions.
However, it's not going to take a Herculean effort to beat the Vols as initially believed. Their advantage is they are more veteran/experienced than the Gators, but the Swamp can be an equalizer. This will be played down to the wire.
I'm not suggesting vol defense is bad, I'm simply stating that the Utah run defense is better. But I agree, you need to be able to throw the ball to take advantage of the weak spot in their defense.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I want to believe we will win this game but some matchups make me think it's going to be pretty tough to do so. I wish Tenn had already played a decent opponent to get more of a feeling on what we can expect from Milton. If our young safeties don't make mistakes when they are running that hurry up offense I think we can keep them in the 20s in scoring. I think that attacking style defense of theirs is going to cause issues though as the QB in the pocket doesn't have much time even if the blocking is decent and it usually causes quite a few short runs for the RBs. They also play their DBs in a way where they react really fast to screens and those short sideline passes. This game will show us how willing Napier is to adapt his game plan to the opponent. We scored a lot last year but most of those big plays don't happen without a mobile QB buying a little extra time. With Mertz I think you have to beat them with fast designed intermediate pass plays as he won't be able to buy that extra time usually for someone to work themselves open when that pressure is coming down on him.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
I think there is a fair amount of self delusion going on here, similar to pre-Utah, but I don’t want to dim the enthusiasm as it is UT week in the swamp.

In my experience, you can spot a good OC/game planner/play caller when they’re calling plays with a purpose. Mullen was like this. He could look at what the defense was trying to do and he knew the weak spots of the scheme and that’s where the ball would go. It wasn’t just a play or two, it was all game long. Also, the best players got the ball.

That’s the difference between a good OC and a guy just calling plays, hoping they work out. I’m getting concerned that Napier is in that category.

I think there is a fair amount of self delusion going on here, similar to pre-Utah, but I don’t want to dim the enthusiasm as it is UT week in the swamp.

In my experience, you can spot a good OC/game planner/play caller when they’re calling plays with a purpose. Mullen was like this. He could look at what the defense was trying to do and he knew the weak spots of the scheme and that’s where the ball would go. It wasn’t just a play or two, it was all game long. Also, the best players got the ball.

That’s the difference between a good OC and a guy just calling plays, hoping they work out. I’m getting concerned that Napier is in that category.
Napier needs an OC. Pederson of the Jags needs to take the play calling back.

The game's a coin flip imo.

It's hard to have any more than a guess - neither team has enough data against good competition to really do anything more than make arguments imo.

Unlike us Tenn basically had most of this year's starters playing in their bowl game against Clemson. To me it looked like the same Tenn team from last season on both sides of the ball except Milton is a downgrade from Hooker as he doesn't throw an easily catchable ball on many of his passes. He wasn't too bad with that against Clemson but he was off a lot in his down the field passes this past weekend. I think the big question mark with us is will the defense hold up when the secondary is tested. Utah didn't test it much after that first TD.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT