ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Summers Admits Fed Is in a Liquidity Trap

Apr 7, 2010
This is really, really bad.

"A liquidity trap is a situation described in Keynesian economics in which injections of cash into the private banking system by a central bank fail to lower interest rates and hence fail to stimulate economic growth. A liquidity trap is caused when people hoard cash because they expect an adverse event such as deflation, insufficient aggregate demand, or war. Signature characteristics of a liquidity trap are short-term interest rates that are near zero and fluctuations in the monetary base that fail to translate into fluctuations in the general price levels."

Importantly, this evidence is mounting that the Federal Reserve has now become trapped within this dynamic. The boost in asset prices caused by the increased levels of liquidity in the system has benefited the wealthy while doing little to jumpstart the real economy. As I stated previously:

"While an argument could be made that the early initial rounds of QE contributed to a bounce in economic activity; it is also important to remember several things about that particular period. First, if you refer to the long term chart of GDP above you will see that economic growth has ALWAYS surged post recessionary weakness. This is due to the pent-up demand that was built up during the recession that is unleashed back into the economy. Secondly, during 2009 there were multiple bailouts going on from 'cash for houses', 'cash for clunkers', direct bailouts of the banking system and the economy, etc. However, the real test for the success of the Fed's interventions actually began in 2010 as the Fed became 'the only game in town'. As shown above, at best, we can assume that the increases in liquidity have been responsible in keeping the economy from slipping into a secondary recession. Currently, with most economic indicators showing signs of weakness, it is clear that the Federal Reserve is currently experiencing a diminishing rate of return from their monetary policies."

From this standpoint it was shocking to see someone, particularly Larry Summers, actually discuss this issue during a recent

The important point is that, for the first time that I am aware of, someone has verbally stated that we are indeed caught within a liquidity trap. This has been a point that has been vigorously opposed by supporters of the Federal Reserve actions.

Of course, the lack of transmission of the current monetary interventions into the real economy has remained a conundrum for the Federal Reserve as the gap between improving economic statistics and the real underlying economic fabric continues to widen. As Larry states, we are indeed in uncharted territory. With the direct manipulation of interest rates near impossible, it leaves only verbal (forward guidance) and liquidity (increases of excess reserves) policy tools available. The problem is that these tools have never been used to such a massive extent before in history. While analysts and economist continue to suggest, with each passing year, that stronger economic growth is coming; it has yet to be the case. As discussed previously, this is a tell-tale sign of a liquidity trap.

My belief all along has been and remains that a well thought out combination of both fiscal and monetary policy is the correct remedy for what ails the U.S. economy currently. However, up to this point, the Fed has been the "only game in town" to quote the famous words of Senator Chuck Schumer. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by Larry Summers view point as I believe that it is the correct one at this late stage of the current economic recovery cycle.

Whew, for a second there I thought you actually wrote the stuff that wasn't in quotes. I was going to be impressed until I clicked on the link and found this was the author's opinion.

But yes, I agree that this is a real concern but I was confused with the first line. Injections have lowered interest rates. In fact, corporate borrowing rates have never been lower. So while I agree that the economic recovery hasn't been as strong as one would hope, I shutter to think what it would be without the injections.

Yeah, nothing like injecting fake azzed money into the economy. That and buying up 'toxic' bonds and other 'assets' w/ same fake assed money is going to come at a horrific cost. Factor in this along w/ obamacare and all the other assorted goodies and it is easy to see why national guard units, law enf agencies and even active military have begun focusing on urban riot training. Intensely.

I have begun divesting myself of stocks and bank accounts and have purchased tangible items such as land, a solar home and other things.

Yeah, nothing like injecting fake azzed money into the economy. That and buying up 'toxic' bonds and other 'assets' w/ same fake assed money is going to come at a horrific cost. Factor in this along w/ obamacare and all the other assorted goodies and it is easy to see why national guard units, law enf agencies and even active military have begun focusing on urban riot training. Intensely.

I have begun divesting myself of stocks and bank accounts and have purchased tangible items such as land, a solar home and other things.

Originally posted by nastycracker:

I'm surprised you aren't alreading living in a bunker. BTW, you are not accepting any of those Obama tax credits for your solar power, are you?

Cast your aspersion while you can Mr Normalcy Bias. Cast away. And hell to the yeah I'm gets my thirdee percent, ride this mutha to the rock bottom baby.

Originally posted by nastycracker:
Cast your aspersion while you can Mr Normalcy Bias. Cast away. And hell to the yeah I'm gets my thirdee percent, ride this mutha to the rock bottom baby.
I like you NG, you make me laugh.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I had to look up that Normalcy Bias reference. Pretty good.

They pump because if they stop it goes to
flush.r191677.gif
. 85 billion a month . Shut that off and warts will show in full bloom.

Originally posted by NITTI:

They pump because if they stop it goes to
flush.r191677.gif
. 85 billion a month . Shut that off and warts will show in full bloom.
A mere announcement the other day that it would be rolled back some sent the market into a tail spin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT