ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any doubt that we are going to crush Virginia? Let’s make our OFFICIAL picks...

A win is a win. Love getting to the 11 win mark. But lordy Grantham's schemes leave a lot to be desired. I thought Elam and #25 played well at the corners. Both true freshman so it gives me some hope. We've got to improve at linebacker. Reese 2 will be back from injury, Cox will be eligible and we have some solid recruits. Carter and Diabete will be beasts in my opinion. Would absolutely love for grantham to get a head coaching gig somewhere. He still has no clue how to get off the field on 3rd down and Oozie is spot on when he says dual threat offenses gash his scheme.

Your guy Trask sucks at deep throws and he floated and short armed a lot of passes he’s lucky weren’t picked last night. I think you saw and met your ceiling with him as the starter last night. He doesn’t have an elite arm or decision making skills to make you a national title contender. He’s very good but you need more accuracy on long throws and a better athlete for Mullen’s system if you’re gonna take another step forward.

I agree with you on his ceiling. He hit the one UVA DB in the chest in the red zone, any team with a decent secondary picks that. And if the fumble was called a fumble that would have been upheld. And his deep throws are bad and every 3 or 4 passes he throws at the WR feet. He makes some very nice intermediate throws. But you saw last night how the backs can get more space because they have to respect Emory running. Offenses like Mullen’s were created when teams didn’t have an elite OL.

Reactions: fsumc
I agree with you on his ceiling. He hit the one UVA DB in the chest in the red zone, any team with a decent secondary picks that. And if the fumble was called a fumble that would have been upheld. And his deep throws are bad and every 3 or 4 passes he throws at the WR feet. He makes some very nice intermediate throws. But you saw last night how the backs can get more space because they have to respect Emory running. Offenses like Mullen’s were created when teams didn’t have an elite OL.
Trask looked like he had dead arm last night. Maybe the fatigue of throwing more passes in a season than he ever has in his lifetime finally caught up with him?

Reactions: EvilWayz
A win is a win. Love getting to the 11 win mark. But lordy Grantham's schemes leave a lot to be desired. I thought Elam and #25 played well at the corners. Both true freshman so it gives me some hope. We've got to improve at linebacker. Reese 2 will be back from injury, Cox will be eligible and we have some solid recruits. Carter and Diabete will be beasts in my opinion. Would absolutely love for grantham to get a head coaching gig somewhere. He still has no clue how to get off the field on 3rd down and Oozie is spot on when he says dual threat offenses gash his scheme.
I think Grantham has A LOT to work on, and he's by no means my favorite DC that's ever been at UF.....but I sometimes wonder if we're all watching the same game. Look what happens when he tries to man-up.....our CBs get beat like a drum. Dean was beat again for a TD, Wilson can't cover his shadow......and these are our upperclassmen!! There were 2 busted coverages where, if Perkins makes a half-decent throw, they've got TDs. I don't like the soft zones more than anyone else, but it seems to me that Grantham is playing the hand he's been dealt.....there are no Hadens or Jenkins (or Nelsons) back there that you can put out on an island.

I thought Elam had a very promising year, and Kimbrough played well in spurts. I hope someone can help Dean get his confidence back.....

Grantham runs a conservative NFL style defense which is why you lose to aggressive offenses that can match your athletes. Even his blitz schemes come with soft coverage in the secondary. You either pressure an offense or you don’t. He hedges his bets mixing exotic blitzes with soft coverage. I couldn’t believe how often I saw your CBs playing 8+ yards off their men.

Reactions: bradleygator
Grantham runs a conservative NFL style defense which is why you lose to aggressive offenses that can match your athletes. Even his blitz schemes come with soft coverage in the secondary. You either pressure an offense or you don’t. He hedges his bets mixing exotic blitzes with soft coverage. I couldn’t believe how often I saw your CBs playing 8+ yards off their men.

They just ran past our secondary at will all night. And also, none of the d-backs could make a play on the ball, except for Elam. His pick may have been a game saver.

I think Grantham has A LOT to work on, and he's by no means my favorite DC that's ever been at UF.....but I sometimes wonder if we're all watching the same game. Look what happens when he tries to man-up.....our CBs get beat like a drum. Dean was beat again for a TD, Wilson can't cover his shadow......and these are our upperclassmen!! There were 2 busted coverages where, if Perkins makes a half-decent throw, they've got TDs. I don't like the soft zones more than anyone else, but it seems to me that Grantham is playing the hand he's been dealt.....there are no Hadens or Jenkins (or Nelsons) back there that you can put out on an island.

I thought Elam had a very promising year, and Kimbrough played well in spurts. I hope someone can help Dean get his confidence back.....
Well we had Henderson this year who is about to be a first round pick, Wilson is projected 3rd-4th round, Stewart is also a projected NFL pick...we have maybe the best corner combo in the country. His hand is full of NFL caliber players..Grantham's biggest issue is he seldom makes in game adjustments, plays way too much zone, and has often times very predictable blitz packages. Again, ask our friends in Athens if they would like to have him back on the sidelines. Teams feast on his 3rd down defenses no matter where he has been.

Their leading rusher is the QB, which should tell you something about their offense. Here's the question: Will we set up a defense that takes away the QB run, by keeping gap control and maybe spying him? Or will we run our regular defense then wonder why our DC DIDN'T do these obvious things you do when you have a month to set up a defensive game plan?

I'm having a tough time calling this game. If we play the proper defense, we should win fairly easily. But we have shown a weakness to running QB's this year and if we aren't properly prepared this game could be way too exciting for my taste.

Postgame review.

Grantham did what I wanted, which was to take away the run game by the QB. But he was a better passer than I thought, and the game was more exciting than I like (Watching other games, I like tight tough games. Gator games I like to be over by halftime. In our favor.).

We were fortunate this year that we didn't play any complete teams. Auburn and Georgia had really good defenses but offenses that were pedestrian at best. LSU has an all world offense, but we played them when their defense was struggling. I look at the way Clemson toyed with Virginia, and the way we struggled, and I can see that we have a ways to go to reach elite.

Which isn't surprising. The general consensus when Mullen was hired was that he was facing a 4-5 year rebuilding process, so can't come back 2 years later and complain that we haven't had an immediate turnaround. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

I actually think Trask deserves to start next year. He’s earned that but I do believe Emory Jones needs much more PT next year and should get more PT. I think we can win a lot of games with either QB and be a top 10 team but I do believe if we want to win the national title it is going to be with a DT QB like Emory Jones and Anthony Richardson.

Its great problem to have..... You have 2 QBs who can start and have success... I forget what that feels like...

They just ran past our secondary at will all night. And also, none of the d-backs could make a play on the ball, except for Elam. His pick may have been a game saver.

If Virginia hits those oopen receivers..... Its a different game. I saw Terry get behind you guys a few times as well. Just not good enough to co nect. Sure up the defense and you guys will be right there. Hell, you already are.

Reactions: bradleygator
If Virginia hits those oopen receivers..... Its a different game. I saw Terry get behind you guys a few times as well. Just not good enough to co nect. Sure up the defense and you guys will be right there. Hell, you already are.

Yep. Stats aside, you know a good defense when you see it. everybody is flying around, just making the offense miserable. Stoops had them doing it, Charlie Strong had them doing it, Muschamp had them doing it. Not this guy.

Reactions: fsu939913
W-a-G ---- UF 34 - 20 Va

UF 38 - 28 Va

UF scored a little more than I thought they would.
I thought that the D would hold a couple of their TD's to FG's.
The VA receivers bailed them out, so I've got to give them cred for that.

Yep. Stats aside, you know a good defense when you see it. everybody is flying around, just making the offense miserable. Stoops had them doing it, Charlie Strong had them doing it, Muschamp had them doing it. Not this guy.

In DC Grantham's defense this season:

27 different Gator's had a TFL
18 different Gators had a sack.
18 different Gators has a P-BU
7 different Gator's had an INT.
7 different Gator's had a FR.
Resulting in another season with a Top 10 Ranking in Total Defense.

Maybe there are good reasons for the defensive recruiting to have improved lately. o_O

Maybe there are good reasons for the defensive recruiting to have improved lately. o_O
Defensive recruiting has been very good. I’ll give you that.

Exactly, we have the talent so no reason to get worked over on 3rd down by teams.

Defense has won us some games. So it hasn’t been all bad. But I just don’t see it game to game. Last night was bad. He could definitely use better athletes, particularly at LB, I think.

Defense has won us some games. So it hasn’t been all bad. But I just don’t see it game to game. Last night was bad. He could definitely use better athletes, particularly at LB, I think.

other than Perine, Elam, Greenard, McPherson and Dan Mullen, not sure anyone brought their A game last night

Your guy Trask sucks at deep throws and he floated and short armed a lot of passes he’s lucky weren’t picked last night. I think you saw and met your ceiling with him as the starter last night. He doesn’t have an elite arm or decision making skills to make you a national title contender. He’s very good but you need more accuracy on long throws and a better athlete for Mullen’s system if you’re gonna take another step forward.
Nice showing from FSU today...talking about people sucking lmao

Trask looked like he had dead arm last night. Maybe the fatigue of throwing more passes in a season than he ever has in his lifetime finally caught up with him?
He was just off a bit...he saved our season. I still like to see Emory. They know he's going to run and we get yards everytime.

Virginia played their best game and we played just above average but we got the win. 11 wins on the season...pretty great IMO

No complaints here, Mullen 21-5 taking over a 4-7 program with kids strength training off campus. It was a successful finish to two great years. I never hated the hire but so glad we got Mullen. Admittedly Mullen was second choice to Chip in my wants. We made the best hire possible.

ad to thi k he’s at UT if Stricklin doesn’t make the hire. Appreciate our coach and AD

Nice showing from FSU today...talking about people sucking lmao
He just sucks at deep throws. Everything else he’s good at except running. Our QBs suck at everything except scrambling and running . Except Blackman he sucks all around and pouts too much.

He just sucks at deep throws. Everything else he’s good at except running. Our QBs suck at everything except scrambling and running . Except Blackman he sucks all around and pouts too much.
I don't think he sucks with the deep ball. He's been an accurate passer this year...not so much in the bowl game, Trask was a little off...he still threw for over 300 yards, so not so shabby. He's gotten better but some of his short throws in the flats have been a bigger problem through out the year but he makes pretty good decisions and fits the ball in tight windows.

That's been the case all year.
I don't understand why Dean is on the team much less a starter. He is simply not any good.

Note: As I said earlier in the season:

Elam is better than Steele, on the field and in the locker room.
In fact, I'm not sure that Hill and Kimbrough won't also be better....
~ And it might be a good move for Dean to move to safety....

Note: As I said earlier in the season:

Elam is better than Steele, on the field and in the locker room.
In fact, I'm not sure that Hill and Kimbrough won't also be better....
~ And it might be a good move for Dean to move to safety....
Dean needs to be moved to the bench...he's always out of position and gets lots of flags...there were a couple of plays in the last game where I'm surprised we didn't get flags...he was all over the rec

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT