ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - July 12 (Recruiting News)

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
Since it is slow this time of the year and we aren't able to put together full War Room Reports, we've decided to do a little something different. I would be willing to bet that no one on this planet talks to more Florida prospects a day than Andrew Spivey. Therefore, now and then we will put together an Insider Report consisting of the latest tidbits he is able to obtain.

* During last week's The Opening - Nike's top prospect showcase - four-star linebacker Kaiwan Lewis said he was courted by Mike Davis to come to Florida. He said Davis was constantly telling him how Florida is a good school and that he should join this class with him.

* I also spoke with Florida commitment Nelson Agholor have all three become very good friends. He went on to say that Maye, and Agholor are real close and have been talking about going to the same school together. According to Pittman, Nelson told him that if Maye picks Florida he himself will also commit shortly after to Florida as well.

Pittman said that he had talks with Maye and Maye told him it wouldn’t be long before he commits and that he may do it as early as FNL.

* According to Pittman, he was also recruiting Tracy Howard, the No. 25 rated prospect in the nation, very hard, but he said that it will be tough to get him to Florida because a lot of Miami guys are in his ear and he has a lot of connections to the Hurricanes.

* Though he is currently ranked just outside of the Rivals100, Pittman said that fellow gator commit Mike Davis was by far the best running back at the Opening and that he thinks he is very underrated.

* Pittman also informed me that he played all week with a foot contusion that he suffered the first day at the opening. He said he will be fine after a couple of weeks as he lets it heal.

* I spoke with Derrick Henry came up to him the first day they were at the Opening and introduced himself to Davis.

Davis said that Henry is huge for his age and could be a great tight end at the next level or even a good running back

Davis said that he believes Henry will commit to the Gators soon.

* Davis said that he also spoke with Maye and he came away thinking that Maye would be joining the Florida class soon.

* Davis said that he came into the camp wanting to show everyone he was the best running back in the country and he felt that he did that.

* I also spoke with Derrick Henry last night and he said he felt as he could have done better (as a junior to be he came in second out of the 150 prospects on hand) and he expects next year to go back and win The SPARQ Combine.

* Henry said he formed a great relationship with both Latroy Pittman and Mike Davis.

Henry said that he exchanged numbers with both Davis and Pittman and will keep in touch with both of them.

* Speaking of the SPARQ Combine ? while Henry was coming in second overall, Mike Davis was 14th (running a 4.62 forty) and Pittman was further down the list running a 4.64 forty. Marcus Maye ran a 4.66. Chris Bivins ran a 4.42, but tied for the lowest power ball throw (which measures upper-body strength). UF linebacker prospect Kaiwan Lewis ran a pedestrian like 4.89 on a track many other prospects were turning in higher range times.

Here is the complete breakdown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News