ADVERTISEMENT

If we step back and think, why is Grier leaving a bad thing?

sg0508

Bull Gator
Dec 8, 2006
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing of in terms of his transfer being "bad" for the program that I can think of is....next season. That's totally short-sighted. We need to think long-term with this.

1) The whole thing was a total embarrassment to the program and a distraction.

2) It really slowed our positive momentum towards our program's rebuild from the rubble

3) This avoids any type of QB controversy next year when he's eligible to return

4) Clearly, other things about Grier (that are not good) are coming out. Mac probably figured that he and the program don't need this headache. If rumors such as other drug use are true, then he's 100% right. That's just another suspension waiting to happen.

5) His father and the attorney "seem" (I suppose that's what people do now anyhow) to only care about their own interests. That is a bad deal for UF.

6) This could open up the gates for another huge QB recruit to pick us or change to us.

7) It sounds to me like the whole juicing ordeal was intentional. This wasn't an accident. He got caught, and his family expected UF to cover it up. Other schools may have, but we didn't. Ironically, that may not serve the program well (given that recruits sometimes expect to be kings of the world regardless of what they do). That remains to be seen. Again, we will never know all the facts, but the more that comes out, the more it appears from the outside that Grier was trouble for us. Who knows what else could happen between now and midseason next year?

8) Uncertainty in a program is a bad deal, particularly around the QB. We all know Harris tried, but isn't the answer. Let's let someone else give it a shot. The last thing we need is a QB controversy that could affect the program for the next 2-3 years. Now, if Mac can't find his QB, that will fall on him, but this is good.

For all these reasons, I believe this is the best thing for UF. We don't need this, and while I don't necessarily believe rumors, there's too much smoke surrounding Grier and other warnings he got, things going on, etc. that lead me to believe that this was only the tip of the iceberg.

We shall see. There aren't any guarantees. It's up to Mac to make it right now. He's probably got two years to find an answer at QB and that's his responsibility, but getting rid of Grier/letting him walk is a good thing for our university and our program. Yes, next year (again, being short-sighted) could be tough if we don't find a QB who can play, but let's try to think long-term.

It's just my opinion. I wish Will Grier the best of luck, but I can't say I'll miss him, I am beyond pissed what he did to our program and what has come out concerning other things going on (possibly), his family, etc. is just rubbing more salt in the wounds.

Go Gators!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News