ADVERTISEMENT

If JJ Schwarz was draft eligible:

JJ is a great hitter but currently an average catcher. So while he would go high, I doubt he would be no. 1.

Richie Martin drafted 20th by the A's.

UF signee and Preston Tucker's brother, Kyle Tucker drafted 5th overall. Guessing we will never see him on campus.

JJ is going to need to learn to play first base or somewhere else because as good a hitter as he is he is not a Major League catcher. Look for Rivera to be the catcher most of next year while JJ learns another position.

Just because he's not as good as Rivera defensively, doesn't mean he can't play catcher.

Dom, where do you get your information that MLB doesn't view him as a catcher? I just looked through the prospects lists and he was pretty universally regarded as the top defensive high school catching prospect. He was the starting catcher for the under 18 national team. Most of the questions about him were actually about his bat.

Rivera is better defensively, but Rivera's a stud. Maybe a first round pick himself in a couple years.

Just based on some things I have heard. I didn't say he can't play catcher just that we have a better catcher.

I don't know how to scout a catcher defensively, but Rivera catches Fridays and Sundays, so Sully obviously wants him back there. But I don't think that necessarily says anything negative about Schwarz. More than anything, you can see that Rivera runs the team when he's out there. For a freshman, Rivera's toughness and defense are almost as exceptional as Schwarz' bat. We're lucky to have both, that's for sure. I would think Schwarz will stick as the Saturday catcher. Sully puts his guys in the best position to be drafted, and Schwarz may be the #1 pick in a couple years if he can play behind the plate.

On a related note, the 1st, 2nd and 20th picks of the draft were all Shortstops from the SEC. (Vandy, LSU & FL, respectively)

I'm biased of course, but I think Martin could be a better MLB player than either of those guys based on his athleticism. They are both better college hitters, but I think Martin has pretty easy power, and he has the potential to be a spectacular defensive shortstop, while Fulmer and Bregman are more solid guys who make the plays that come to them.

That was part of my reasoning for saying JJ could have gone first overall. The top of the draft was a little underwhelming this year.

A total of nine current players were drafted:

Player Round Pick Team

Richie Martin (SS) 1st 20th Oakland A’s

Harrison Bader (OF) 3rd 100th St. Louis Cardinals

Eric Hanhold (RHP) 6th 181st Milwaukee Brewers

Danny Young (LHP) 8th 242nd Toronto Blue Jays

Taylor Lewis (RHP) 9th 270th Atlanta Braves

Josh Tobias (3B) 10th 294th Philadelphia Phillies

Bobby Poyner (LHP) 14th 411th Boston Red Sox

Mike Vinson (RHP) 24th 730th Detroit Tigers

Aaron Rhodes (RHP) 28th 855th Los Angeles Angels

Anybody see anything on where our recruits got drafted? FSU's top recruit got drafted by my Rockies and already signed, so that's a win/win for me.

From what I have read, we had four signees taken on the first day who will probably never set foot on campus:

Kyle Tucker (OF), (Prestons' brother) was taken 5th by the Astros (same organization as Preston)
Grant Holmes (RHP), LAD, 22nd
Jake Woodford (RHP), SL Cardinals 39th
Brady Singer (RHP), Toronto, 56th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT