ADVERTISEMENT

Houston, we have a problem

Sadly spot on. We'll know who Jimbo is by the close of the 2017 season (IMO).

Oh, I think we already know. He is a great recruiter and a poor game day coach. Unless he has overwhelming talent advantage, he is quite capable to losing to almost any team he coaches against. And even with that talent advantage he often enjoys, he still manages to do just that one or two times, in almost every year he has coached. Hell, sometimes it is more.

SKS,

Did you just claim the 2013 FSU team overachieved? Haven't the classes that made up that team set an FSU record for players drafted? How exactly did they overachieve? They were the most talented team in the country led by a #1 pick at QB, and had the worse schedule of any BCS game participant in a decade. If they wouldn't have won the title it would have been a failure. That was a reach.

2015 is much of the same. Despite all the talent FSU lost, they were still more talented by a decent margin than any team they played, and that will be reflected in the draft. The only time Jimbo's teams have overachieved have been in his first year. Even though he's mocked for always losing to an opponent he shouldn't lose to just about every season that team had come off a string of 6 loss seasons and they won 10 in year 1. But then when expectations were high again they underachieved in Year 2.

You're attempting to structure an argument in such a way that you can never be wrong. Everyone knows more after the fact. The reality is '13 FSU started the season outside of the top 10 in both polls. They over achieved by any reasonable definition. You can't re-write history in the years Fisher's teams exceeded expectations and then keep everything the same in years where they didn't.

You're attempting to structure an argument in such a way that you can never be wrong. Everyone knows more after the fact. The reality is '13 FSU started the season outside of the top 10 in both polls. They over achieved by any reasonable definition. You can't re-write history in the years Fisher's teams exceeded expectations and then keep everything the same in years where they didn't.

They started outside the top 10 because in the two games to end the 2012 season they wete housed at home by UF and then was in a dog fight in the Orange Bowl with Northern Illinois. They started off at 10 in 2013 specifically because they underachieved in 2012, it wasn't due to lack of talent. Overachieve implies they outperformed their talent level, that wasn't the case. FSU's talent level was at a minimum top 3 regardless of where they started in a preseason poll. If Jimbo hadn't gotten a reputation for dropping a game he shouldn't every year (up to that point) FSU would have never started at 10. No one ever questioned their talent. I think it would be more accurate to say he finally got his team to perform up to its potential.

They started outside the top 10 because in the two games to end the 2012 season they wete housed at home by UF and then was in a dog fight in the Orange Bowl with Northern Illinois. They started off at 10 in 2013 specifically because they underachieved in 2012, it wasn't due to lack of talent. Overachieve implies they outperformed their talent level, that wasn't the case. FSU's talent level was at a minimum top 3 regardless of where they started in a preseason poll. If Jimbo hadn't gotten a reputation for dropping a game he shouldn't every year (up to that point) FSU would have never started at 10. No one ever questioned their talent. I think it would be more accurate to say he finally got his team to perform up to its potential.

The problem with this is that you're only applying this logic when it's convenient for your argument. Why don't you apply this after the fact argument to 2011 and 2012? It's fair to point out that in 2011 FSU lost 4 scholarship offensive linemen to season ending injuries and their 3 game losing streak coincided with EJ getting hurt. It's also amusing how quickly people forget that in 2012 FSU lost 3 of the 4 best players on the team for the season: Brandon Jenkins (Lisfranc), Greg Reid (dismissal), and Chris Thompson (ACL). You only want to play this little game with 2013 though because it suits your narrative.

Right. Even though my very first post in the thread said FSU overachieved Jimbo's first year. Sorry to tell ya, everybody isn't trying to play a gotcha game with you. Maybe you think so because that's how y'all tend to argue on here.

Right. Even though my very first post in the thread said FSU overachieved Jimbo's first year. Sorry to tell ya, everybody isn't trying to play a gotcha game with you. Maybe you think so because that's how y'all tend to argue on here.

So explain how FSU underachieved in 2012? They started the year #7 and went 12-2 and won the ACC/Orange Bowl and did it without 3 of their best players. How is that an underachievement?

Lol @ a dogfight with NIU. Game was never in doubt. We had over 500 yds they had around 250. We completely shut their golden boy qb down. If 31-10 is a dogfight, what the hell is 13-10??

Reactions: BillWesJay
Indeed it does. And it proves my point of view.
Not really. As was posted earlier he had another viable QB in Coker and could not foresee that he would transfer (you still haven't told me how Fisher "ran him off") This would have been Coker's year had he stayed instead Jimbo (who did not have to release Coker) let him go try his luck at Bama. I think Jimbo was right to allow that but it put us in a bit of a bind for this year with younger QBs not ready to play and then SM who was not getting it so he brought in Golson. Happens at programs all the time...like the time one school I know was left with a guy named John Brantley who was ahead on the depth chart of a kid named Newton I believe who transferred out? Who let THAT happen.:D

Lol @ a dogfight with NIU. Game was never in doubt. We had over 500 yds they had around 250. We completely shut their golden boy qb down. If 31-10 is a dogfight, what the hell is 13-10??

I've never understood the criticism of the 2012 season. People (some FSU fans included) like to act like that team was just loaded with superstars at every position and should have won it all. First off, they didn't even start the season in the top 5. Their starting OT's entering the season were a guy that had never played a down of football at the FBS level and an 18 year old true sophomore. They lost their starting CB (who happened to be the best return man in CFB) before the season. Then in the opener vs. Murray State their 2nd Team All-American DE gets his foot stepped on and is out for the year. Then they lose their best offensive player to a torn ACL in the 1st half of the Miami game. The 2 losses were frustrating, but 12-2 and finishing in the top 10 was about as good as could have been expected given the question marks at OL, CB, and special teams. Special teams especially.

Reactions: danoleman
I've never understood the criticism of the 2012 season. People (some FSU fans included) like to act like that team was just loaded with superstars at every position and should have won it all. First off, they didn't even start the season in the top 5. Their starting OT's entering the season were a guy that had never played a down of football at the FBS level and an 18 year old true sophomore. They lost their starting CB (who happened to be the best return man in CFB) before the season. Then in the opener vs. Murray State their 2nd Team All-American DE gets his foot stepped on and is out for the year. Then they lose their best offensive player to a torn ACL in the 1st half of the Miami game. The 2 losses were frustrating, but 12-2 and finishing in the top 10 was about as good as could have been expected given the question marks at OL, CB, and special teams. Special teams especially.

Excellent post and 100% spot on.

Not really. As was posted earlier he had another viable QB in Coker and could not foresee that he would transfer (you still haven't told me how Fisher "ran him off") This would have been Coker's year had he stayed instead Jimbo (who did not have to release Coker) let him go try his luck at Bama. I think Jimbo was right to allow that but it put us in a bit of a bind for this year with younger QBs not ready to play and then SM who was not getting it so he brought in Golson. Happens at programs all the time...like the time one school I know was left with a guy named John Brantley who was ahead on the depth chart of a kid named Newton I believe who transferred out? Who let THAT happen.:D

Newton was about to be kicked out school for multiple classroom cheating violations, let alone the laptop incident.

I know theresno academic no oversight in Tallahassee, so it must be a foreign concept.

FSU's 2012 team produced the most drafted players in the country that year. You keep going on and on about injuries as if FSU is the only team that suffered season ending injuries to key starters any given year. You still had more talent than anybody else. And they underachieved because they lost to a trash NC ST. team when they were 4th in the nation at the time and then got house at home by their rival who was also less talented than they were. But injuries.

The problem with this is that you're only applying this logic when it's convenient for your argument. Why don't you apply this after the fact argument to 2011 and 2012? It's fair to point out that in 2011 FSU lost 4 scholarship offensive linemen to season ending injuries and their 3 game losing streak coincided with EJ getting hurt. It's also amusing how quickly people forget that in 2012 FSU lost 3 of the 4 best players on the team for the season: Brandon Jenkins (Lisfranc), Greg Reid (dismissal), and Chris Thompson (ACL). You only want to play this little game with 2013 though because it suits your narrative.

And your point about an 'after the fact' argument is dumb. Any and all judgments on whether a team overachieved or underachieved is 'after the fact' in its nature. All teams are judged at the end of their seasons not before, so it's naturally after the fact. Yes, even including any of your judgements. Teams aren't judged on preseason polls, that's why the title is awarded at the end of the regular season. This was a logical fail.

How much was FSU favored by in that game? Yea...

How much was FSU favored by in that game? Yea...

FSU was favored by 14 points and won by 21 . JF showed some class on the last drive in the red zone and did not RUTS. A question: with the superior athletes, coaching, facilities, and resources that Bama has, is any season that doesn't result in a NC then an underachieving season?

Reactions: BillWesJay
FSU was favored by 14 points and won by 21 . JF showed some class on the last drive in the red zone and did not RUTS. A question: with the superior athletes, coaching, facilities, and resources that Bama has, is any season that doesn't result in a NC then an underachieving season?
Saban has got that program to a point where it is National Title or bust for them but that is because of the expectations he has set and plus they have crazy fans. With that being said Saban has what 3 or 4 national titles and will go down as one of the GOAT college coaches. I don't think he's a good comparison to Fisher. Meyer is the only current college coach in the same league as Saban as far as accomplishments.

This is a dumb straw man, will not engage.

Newton was about to be kicked out school for multiple classroom cheating violations, let alone the laptop incident.

I know theresno academic no oversight in Tallahassee, so it must be a foreign concept.
That's not what Corch Urban Meyer said. He said Cam was welcome at UF even after the laptop theft.

Cam was listed after Brantley on the depth chart. That's why he left.

Last edited:
FSU was favored by 14 points and won by 21.

If true, I'll concede this point, I remembered it being higher. I just remember it being a 17-10 game going into the 4th. And considering FSU had waaaay more talent, I'd say it was a dogfight for at least three quarters. FSU's talent took over in the 4th.

I don't see anybody cutting us any slack for losing to Ga Southern when we were on our 4th string QB and had an historic number of injuries overall. Why should we give you any?

If true, I'll concede this point, I remembered it being higher. I just remember it being a 17-10 game going into the 4th. And considering FSU had waaaay more talent, I'd say it was a dogfight for at least three quarters. FSU's depth took over in the 4th.

FIFY

If true, I'll concede this point, I remembered it being higher. I just remember it being a 17-10 game going into the 4th. And considering FSU had waaaay more talent, I'd say it was a dogfight for at least three quarters. FSU's talent took over in the 4th.
The game was never in doubt. Except for one drive and a lucky pass NIU never sniffed the endzone again. Our D totally shut them down and the O was lethargic (not real jazzed to be playing NIU) but finally took it out of 1st gear in the second half and the beatdown commenced.

That's not what Corch Urban Meyer said. He said Cam was welcome at UF even after the laptop theft.

Cam was listed after Brantley on the depth chart. That's why he left.
Cam Newton didn't leave UF by his choice. He had to leave. He got busted for doing some improper things academically. Why do you think he went the JUCO route first? He wasn't able to transfer directly to a D1 school.

The game was never in doubt. Except for one drive and a lucky pass NIU never sniffed the endzone again. Our D totally shut them down and the O was lethargic (not real jazzed to be playing NIU) but finally took it out of 1st gear in the second half and the beatdown commenced.

A one score game going into the 4th is a game in doubt my man. Maybe you felt confident FSU wouldn't lose because after all they were way more talented, and to that I'd say it's logical. I'd probably feel the same. Doesn't mean the game wasn't in doubt though.

Cam Newton didn't leave UF by his choice. He had to leave. He got busted for doing some improper things academically. Why do you think he went the JUCO route first? He wasn't able to transfer directly to a D1 school.

Is it true that he was caught cheating 3 times before he was finally called to appear before the Florida Student Conduct Committee??

60% competions 19 tds 15 ints. Not great but good enough to stick around.

So what do the morons call 'Not good enough to play in the NFL?

Tebow - 19 TD's to 9 Ints for a 2.11 to 1 Ratio, QBR 75.3
Going 9-7 with a Playoff win against the NFL's #1 Defense in his 15th start.
Plus 1,057 yards rushing at 5.0 ypc, with another 13 rushing TD's.
And that was for a team that was 4-14 with 7-8 year NFL Vet QB Kyle Orton as starter.
It was also after St. John El'-Dimway had traded away their top 2 WR's, which inlcuded WR Jabar Gaffney and their ONLY Pro Bowler on the offense, WR Brandon Lloyd.

So what do the morons call 'Not good enough to play in the NFL?

Tebow - 19 TD's to 9 Ints for a 2.11 to 1 Ratio, QBR 75.3
Going 9-7 with a Playoff win against the NFL's #1 Defense in his 15th start.
Plus 1,057 yards rushing at 5.0 ypc, with another 13 rushing TD's.
And that was for a team that was 4-14 with 7-8 year NFL Vet QB Kyle Orton as starter.
It was also after St. John El'-Dimway had traded away their top 2 WR's, which inlcuded WR Jabar Gaffney and their ONLY Pro Bowler on the offense, WR Brandon Lloyd.
Not playing in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT