ADVERTISEMENT

Gators 2023 O/U is 5.5 in Vegas

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
And they are seldom off by much. The Noles are 9.5., Ugly 11 or 11.5 and this team has absolutely no excitement around it. Napier there is this thing called a Portal? Gonna be a long year I’m afraid starting out in Utah.

And they are seldom off by much. The Noles are 9.5., Ugly 11 or 11.5 and this team has absolutely no excitement around it. Napier there is this thing called a Portal? Gonna be a long year I’m afraid starting out in Utah.

The gambling places see us at 5 or 6 wins while the power index stuff has us at 6.8 wins average I think. I think the gambling places seeing the QB play in the spring game felt 5.5 would be needed to get some action going.

Reactions: bradleygator
Napier isn’t going to go heavy in the portal. Never was the plan. He’s going to try and build the team/program mostly from recruiting high school prospects and developing them and having them in the system for 3-4 years.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Napier isn’t going to go heavy in the portal. Never was the plan. He’s going to try and build the team/program mostly from recruiting high school prospects and developing them and having them in the system for 3-4 years.

I doubt you can make the 12 team
playoff too often in the new SEC unless the recruiting is mostly #6 to #10 area with that thinking. I hope we arent going to fall in a trap where Napier arrogantly thinks that.

I doubt you can make the 12 team
playoff too often in the new SEC unless the recruiting is mostly #6 to #10 area with that thinking. I hope we arent going to fall in a trap where Napier arrogantly thinks that.
Nobody in the SEC is playing in the playoff recruiting heavily from the portal either. At least not yet anyways. UGA and Bama recruit strictly high school talent with a little bit of portal here and there. Those are the programs at the top of the SEC at the moment.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Nobody in the SEC is playing in the playoff recruiting heavily from the portal either. At least not yet anyways. UGA and Bama recruit strictly high school talent with a little bit of portal here and there. Those are the programs at the top of the SEC at the moment.

But almost everyone besides Bama and Georgia are going after good portal players. They are about the only 2 in the SEC recruiting good enough to get away with that. Heck we would be in even worse shape for 2023 if we didnt get those 2 good D linemen and that O lineman who hopefully plays this season.

But almost everyone besides Bama and Georgia are going after good portal players. They are about the only 2 in the SEC recruiting good enough to get away with that. Heck we would be in even worse shape for 2023 if we didnt get those 2 good D linemen and that O lineman who hopefully plays this season.

I'm pretty sure Bama had like 5 or 6 starters that came from the portal. Teams moving forward, even UGA and Bama are going to have to start taking more from the portal. Here's why, say you sign 20 top kids each yr, why would they sit at UGA for 3 yrs to play 1 yr when they could hit the portal and be an immediate starter somewhere else. The portal is new and it will be utilized. Fsu will have 6 to 8 draft picks this yr, all from the portal (Thanks willie). I don't think it matters where those players start their career. I think for longevity you will need elite high school recruiting (I don't see us having much in 2024 unless we go portal heavy again). I think teams not using the portal are making a big mistake.

I would have put the Gators at 6.5 this yr.

I'm pretty sure Bama had like 5 or 6 starters that came from the portal. Teams moving forward, even UGA and Bama are going to have to start taking more from the portal. Here's why, say you sign 20 top kids each yr, why would they sit at UGA for 3 yrs to play 1 yr when they could hit the portal and be an immediate starter somewhere else. The portal is new and it will be utilized. Fsu will have 6 to 8 draft picks this yr, all from the portal (Thanks willie). I don't think it matters where those players start their career. I think for longevity you will need elite high school recruiting (I don't see us having much in 2024 unless we go portal heavy again). I think teams not using the portal are making a big mistake.

I would have put the Gators at 6.5 this yr.

Bama really had 5 or 6 starters from the portal this season? I though that them and Georgia would have had like 2 and maybe 3 at the very most actually starting. They do snatch a few good ones though looking at it this year.

I looked at Bama's opening game starters from 2022 and they did have 4 starters that were transfers from other schools. Kind of surprising.

Reactions: fsu939913
I looked at Bama's opening game starters from 2022 and they did have 4 starters that were transfers from other schools. Kind of surprising.
Maybe the 5th was a main contributor. Not sure. Was it the receiver who got hurt and didn't play? Not sure, hard for me to remember. What's most surprising is they had a transfer running back start after all the 5 stars they pull there. Kind of wild.

Bama had 5 total incoming transfers on last years team. UGA had 1. Ohio St had 1. Sorry but that isn‘t very many at all if you compare it to the rest of the country. This year Bama has 5 again and UGA 4. Again it really isn’t that many. They aren’t anywhere close to double digits. The top programs aren’t really hitting it that hard. Maybe that will change.

Bama had 5 total incoming transfers on last years team. UGA had 1. Ohio St had 1. Sorry but that isn‘t very many at all if you compare it to the rest of the country. This year Bama has 5 again and UGA 4. Again it really isn’t that many. They aren’t anywhere close to double digits.

4 starters at Bama though even though all of them weren't transfers from 2022. That is about the point I see a team is starting to use them quite a bit. TCU had 5 transfer starters this past season (I think 2022 transfers) and people were making a big deal on how they used the portal to make the playoff and win a game. Now just like last season if USC was to make the playoff they will be the first probably with literally almost 40%+ of their starters to do it.

4 starters at Bama though even though all of them weren't transfers from 2022. That is about the point I see a team is starting to use them quite a bit. TCU had 5 transfer starters this past season and people were making a big deal on how they used the portal to make the playoff and win a game.
And TCU got walloped. You could see that coming from a mile away. I know they had a good record and everything but they don’t recruit well enough to be a legitimate playoff team or have the talent. TCU has to recruit the portal if they want to truly compete with top programs. For example If TCU played in the SEC last season do they even make the playoff? Of course not. UGA exposed them pretty bad to the point it was the worst playoff game we have had so far. It was pretty embarrassing IMO for college football to have a game like that.

I hate to beat a dead horse but name me the last program to win a natty that wasn’t recruiting consistent top 10 classes? It’s just the reality and the facts of the situation until somebody proves that theory wrong.

And TCU got walloped. You could see that coming from a mile away. I know they had a good record and everything but they don’t recruit well enough to be a legitimate playoff team or have the talent. TCU has to recruit the portal if they want to truly compete with top programs. For example If TCU played in the SEC last season do they even make the playoff? Of course not. UGA exposed them pretty bad to the point it was the worst playoff game we have had so far. It was pretty embarrassing IMO for college football to have a game like that.

I hate to beat a dead horse but name me the last program to win a natty that wasn’t recruiting consistent top 10 classes? It’s just the reality and the facts of the situation until somebody proves that theory wrong.

I see your point on the SEC as it would be very hard to only have 1 loss but no one can rag too bad on them as they beat Michigan and showed they belonged. In fairness that would be like calling our 95 team a joke. Blowouts happen and Georgia just happens to be in a position to give them right now to other good teams.

I see your point on the SEC as it would be very hard to only have 1 loss but no one can rag too bad on them as they beat Michigan and showed they belonged. In fairness that would be like calling our 95 team a joke. Blowouts happen and Georgia just happens to be in a position to give them right now to other good teams.
Have to agree to disagree. That 95 UF team belonged because they played a much tougher conference with a much tougher schedule and much more talent as that UF team was full of top recruiting classes. TCU doesn’t recruit well enough to belong in a 4 team playoff. It is what it is.

Again until I’m proven wrong if you aren’t recruiting top 10 classes you aren’t good enough to compete for a title. I’ll continue to say this until something happens different than what has happened the last 20 years if not longer.

Unfair comparison imo. The portal is new so the only option in the past was good high school recruiting. In the last 2 yrs really good players just starting using the portal for more playing time. I don't think high school recruiting will ever not be the main factor but something I keep going back to when I think about high school vs portal is you have 22 starters on the team. Let's say 10 get drafted, does it matter if those players came from the portal or high school recruiting? I don't think so. Lsu has hit the portal pretty hard and hit high school recruiting well. Bama got their highest drafted player from G tech, so not quantity but quality.

Imo, high school recruiting will always hold the most weight but I think each yr portal recruiting will mean more and more until it gets to a 60/40 split of importance. I think fsu will be a pretty good team this yr, 6 to 15 range, same with USC. Both built on portal more than HS. Now if the argument is ONLY winning a NC, then we will have to wait another 4 or 5 yrs because the portal so new that I don't think you can judge that yet. The best way I've been able to think about it is the portal raises the floor of the team but the HS recruiting raises the ceiling.

I think FSU will have about 6 or so drafted players this yr and all of them will be transfers. I'm not really sure what to think of that tbh. Cfb changes all the time and I think eventually the portal will change how we view recruiting.

Unfair comparison imo. The portal is new so the only option in the past was good high school recruiting. In the last 2 yrs really good players just starting using the portal for more playing time. I don't think high school recruiting will ever not be the main factor but something I keep going back to when I think about high school vs portal is you have 22 starters on the team. Let's say 10 get drafted, does it matter if those players came from the portal or high school recruiting? I don't think so. Lsu has hit the portal pretty hard and hit high school recruiting well. Bama got their highest drafted player from G tech, so not quantity but quality.

Imo, high school recruiting will always hold the most weight but I think each yr portal recruiting will mean more and more until it gets to a 60/40 split of importance. I think fsu will be a pretty good team this yr, 6 to 15 range, same with USC. Both built on portal more than HS. Now if the argument is ONLY winning a NC, then we will have to wait another 4 or 5 yrs because the portal so new that I don't think you can judge that yet. The best way I've been able to think about it is the portal raises the floor of the team but the HS recruiting raises the ceiling.

I think FSU will have about 6 or so drafted players this yr and all of them will be transfers. I'm not really sure what to think of that tbh. Cfb changes all the time and I think eventually the portal will change how we view recruiting.

Yep its becoming a huge part of building the roster for many teams. Basketball seems to be even crazier. USC just like last season will be the test case again if it mostly by itself can actually get you a playoff berth in a 4 team field. Once it goes to 12 teams that will entice even more portal moves at competitive schools probably. No telling what most teams in the new SEC will do knowing 9-3 probably gets you a spot. Even though that will be a lot harder to get than it sounds most teams will think its possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT