ADVERTISEMENT

From the Film Room...Breaking down the 2009 LB prospects

j wells

Bull Gator
Feb 2, 2003
From the film room:

Here's my disclaimer. As I don't have the time or ability to get out and see these guys in person...I'm going off anywhere from about 5-15 minutes of highlight film with this analysis. It's really not a good way to evaluate players, as a highlight reel is really nothing more than a movie trailer. It only gives you a glimpse at the coming attractions. However, I feel like in breaking down all the players on film, I can give you some idea of what I see that they do which is impressive, and maybe point out some things that I see (or don't see) that brings some cause for concern.

Jon Bostic (6-1, 218, 4.59) Wellington (FL) Palm Beach Central
Comparison: Jon Beason (Miami, Carolina Panthers)
Watching him on film, I believe Bostic to be the best LB prospect on our board. He has everything you look for in a linebacker. Very good (not elite) speed, great agility, fluid hips (plays DB in certain situations, and looks like a natural), the ability to cover. He has good size, yet even at 215 looks to have the potential to get into the 235 range and carry his weight well. His ability on film as an offense threat is incredibly impressive as well...I wouldn't be surprised if some schools decided to look at him as a RB. All-around he is an incredible prospect, and one who will prove to be a very versatile weapon for the team which lands him.

Jarvis Jones (6-3, 215, 4.7e) Columbus (GA) Carver
Comparison: Keith Rivers (USC, Cincinnati Bengals)
On film Jones is eerily similar to Rivers. He has that same long, upright gait of Rivers, which is almost reminiscent of a big thoroughbred racehorse. Jones may be a step slower, but he's probably a little more fluid as an athlete. On film, Jones demonstrates sideline-to-sideline ability. He takes good angles to the ball. It would seem he needs to get stronger, but that should come in time. Jones doesn't show much in terms of cover skills on film. His biggest asset is versatility. He should be able to get into the 240 pound range before he leaves school, but his length and athletic ability could allow him to play all three LB positions, especially if he can show an ability to cover tight ends and backs on the college level. He is an all-around prospect who shows loads of potential in all facets of linebacker play.

Nigel Mitchell-Thornton (6-2.5, 219, 4.72) Stone Mountain (GA) Stephenson
Comparison: Marcus Howard (UGA, Indianapolis Colts)
On tape, Mitchell-Thornton is incredibly impressive. He shows fluid hips, and the ability to open them up easily in order to cover a player in the passing game. He also takes good angles to the ball-carrier. Lines up frequently as a pass-rusher, and shows superior skill in that area of play. Good speed, tenacious player, and will not hesitate to fight through blocks. If he can continue increasing his strength, he would be deadly as a pass-rusher. His size suggests that playing defensive end clearly is not out of the equation on the next level. He is not as fast as Howard, but I make the comparison because both are LB/DE hybrids, and both cause QB's lots of headaches when asked to blitz. His offer list is baffling to me, because he is right up there with the best of the best in terms of ability.

Carlo Calabrese (6-2, 214, 4.7e) Verona (NJ) Verona
Comparison: Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State, Dallas Cowboys)
Calabrese has a lot of parts that remind me of the big, rugged linebackers out of the Big Ten like Carpenter, Paul Posluzny, and Dan Connor. He is very much in that mold. Calabrese shows great strength on film. He is a form tackler who seems perfectly suited to play in the middle, or possibly at DE on the next level. In many ways, his tape is reminiscent of 2008 Florida signee Brendan Beal, who is another Jersey product as well. The biggest question with Calabrese is his agility and speed. Can he play in space on the next level? That will be the biggest question with him, but with his frame...I could easily see him carrying 250+ pounds in just a few short years, meaning a move to the defensive line isn't totally out of the question. Regardless, Calabrese is a high energy player who will bring a brand of toughness not easily found, for whatever defense he decides to play for on the next level.

Jelani Jenkins (6-0, 210e, 4.45e) Wheaton (MD) Our Lady of Good Counsel
Comparison: Dustin Doe (Florida)
Jenkins is impressive on film. He very well could be the fastest LB on the board, and while it may not be totally accurate...when I watch his highlight tape, I find his listed 4.45 40 time on his Rivals profile to certainly be in the realm of possibility. The biggest issues I have with Jenkins are his slender frame in the legs and through his hips, and his COD skills. Jenkins is well-developed in the upper body, but his lack of thickness in the hips, butt, and thighs worries me. Without that strong base, I feel he will have a rough go at it on the next level fighting off much bigger linemen. That wouldn't be a problem if he showed tremendous agility and lateral movement in his film, but I feel that he lacks in those areas as well. While his straight line speed is superior, he tends to run upright, and show stiff hips on film. He may or may not be able to overcome these factors on the next level, but when you consider his character and academic achievements, you have a low-risk, high reward type prospect here, who will certainly lead by example with his high character.

Toney Moore (6-0.5, 207, 4.75)
Comparison: Geno Hayes (FSU, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Moore is a difficult prospect to gauge, because of the fact he lines up primarily as a DE at the high school level, and plays against small-school competition. Because of the fact that Geno Hayes came from similar circumstances, that’s where the comparison is made. Moore certainly looks the part on film. Solid, athletic frame that appears to have plenty of growth potential. He definitely has the potential to bring pass-rushing ability to the LB position on the collegiate level. He shows excellent explosion on extra point blocks...proving that he will have an impact in the special teams game. The biggest concern for Moore is, will he be able to translate to the LB position in college? Certainly his physical tools suggest it is very possible that he can make the move, and his ability on special teams further increases his value as a prospect for teams across the country.

Larvaz "Pooh Bear" Mars (5-9.5, 199, 4.5e) Apopka (FL) Apopka
Comparison: Sam Olajubutu (Arkansas)
Mars gets the comparison to Olajubutu, despite the fact he doesn’t stack up physically because of his active nature, and ability to always be around the football. Despite his lack of size, he shows great drive in his tackles, great lateral movement, agility, and the ability to play comfortably in space. The biggest drawback is his lack of height. He certainly isn't the ideal size for a LB, but actually came in a little bigger at the Gainesville NIKE camp, than I figured he would. His athletic ability compensates for his lack of height, but he is still a good 15 pounds away from contributing at the next level. He will make an excellent playmaker at the WILL position, and whichever school decides to take a flyer on him will not be disappointed.

Corico Hawkins (5-11.5, 218, 4.8e) Milledgeville (GA) Milledgeville
Comparison: Vince Hall (Virginia Tech, St. Louis Rams)
Watching Hawkins on film…I see an active LB, who shows good instincts, but does not explode through the ball carrier. I see a lot of arm tackling where the player with the ball gets 2, 3, 4, or more yards after making contact with Hawkins. Physically, he is not far from being ready to contribute, and will probably top out around 6-0, and 235 to 240 pounds.I’m not real sure about his ability to play on the outside on the next level, as Hawkins isn’t the fastest (I definitely don't buy the 4.53 on his profile). Overall he's a solid looking linebacker…who should make a nice #4 or #5 guy to bring off the bench. I just don’t feel like I’m watching a big-time SEC linebacker when his film comes on.

Shane Gordon (5-11, 224, 4.8e) Weston (FL) Cypress Bay
Comparison: H.B Blades (Pittsburgh, Washington Redskins)
I actually like Gordon quite a bit. He has a nose for the football, is comfortable playing in space and dropping back into coverage (probably wouldn’t ask him to cover a RB man-on-man, however), and has a strong build that suggests he’ll be able to hold up in the middle, despite his lack of height. Gordon looks to be one of those Miami area kids that gets away and ends up in the Big East, simply because his measurables
aren't on par with some of the other kids in this class. At a Big East school, I could see him playing right away, and eventually being able to carry upwards of 240-245 pounds on his frame. Regardless, he will be a productive run-stuffer wherever he goes.

Some other prospects who could end up at LB:

Ray Ray Armstrong (6-4, 205e, 4.65e) Sanford (FL) Seminole
Comparison: Pat Watkins (Florida State, Dallas Cowboys)
Admittedly, it's hard to get a great feel for Armstrong’s abilities on defense, because I've only seen a limited amount of film of Armstrong lining up on D, and when he does, it's been as a free safety. On tape, he shows that he is clearly not hesitant to come up and lay a lick on a receiver or back. However, I haven't seen much in terms of cover skills out of Armstrong. His offensive tape suggests that he has superior range and agility for a player in the 6-3 to 6-4 range. I feel the 218 listing on his profile is inaccurate, however. From seeing film of him from last year, and pictures of him this Spring, I feel he is probably closer to 200, than 220. Regardless, Armstrong's abilities make him a prime S/OLB prospect depending on how he responds to a college training program. Most schools are recruiting him as a safety, and that probably is where he should be looked at first, in terms of a position...as his height and range potentially make him an All-American type centerfielder. His wiry, lithe frame remind me somewhat of Pat Watkins coming out of high school, although Armstrong is about an inch shorter, and has a stronger frame than the lanky Watkins who is still only in the 215-220 range in the pros. Regardless of where he plays, Armstrong has all the makings of an impact, playmaker type on the defensive side of the ball.

Frankie Telfort (5-11, 197, 4.5) Miami (FL) Gulliver Prep
Comparison: Wesley Woodyard (Kentucky, Denver Broncos)
Watching Telfort on film...I see a kid who could literally go either way in college in terms of position. He's athletic enough to play safety, but clearly he's a kid who is comfortable playing linebacker, and it's not a huge stretch to think he could stay there. For most of the spring, I've looked at film of him, and seen a kid who I just don't think is going to play at more than 205-210 pounds, which would make safety the better fit. However, until Telfort gets on a college training program, there's really no telling how his physique will develop on the next level. For now, Telfort is just a very active defensive prospect who could end up at a couple of different positions when he arrives on a college campus next fall.

Jairus Jones (6-0.5, 195, 4.6e) Tampa (FL) Wharton
Jones is sort of an unusual case. He was on a lot of the watch lists for Juniors-to-be last fall, and then sort of disappeared off the map. Now the interest in Jones is picking back up, and it's easy to see why. He's an impressive two-way player, who has even shown he can have an impact in the return game as well. On defense, Jones is an "in-the-box safety" who shows good pursuit, and closing speed. He isn't a big-time hitter at this point, but does show good fundamentals, and I didn't see a whole lot of arm tackling out of him in his film. He looks pretty good at RB...but actually showed the most potential to me as a WR, where he showed excellent ability on film as a pass-catcher. Jones a very nice all-around player who could end up at about four different positions, depending on the team (RB, WR, OLB, SS).

How I see it breaking down:
Florida could go in many different directions right now at the LB spot. Clearly there still has to be some indecision about how many linebackers will be taken in the 2009 class. As of now, it appears there will be 9 players on scholarship at the position for 2008 (Stamper, Spikes, Doe, A. Jones, Edwards, Hicks, J. Jones, Beal, McCray). With the potential move of Pridemore to the LB position, the possible early departure of Brandon Spikes, and any other attrition that might occur...I'd have to say there's a pretty good chance we sign three in this class. Manti Te’o and Nico Johnson are the other two LB prospects who currently hold offers from UF at this time, but neither are included in this analysis because of the lack of interest to date by either player.

Right now...I feel strongly that we have an excellent shot at Jon Bostic. The staff would surely love to land a kid like Jarvis Jones, who would be a great replacement on the roster for the potential departure of Brandon Spikes...but that's a bit of a reach at this point. It will be interesting to see how things work out at this position. Quite a few names, but a lot of uncertainty in terms of where some of these guys fit, and where the staff is projecting some of these guys to play, if they eventually land in Gainesville.

Ultimately, the board at the position looks good in terms of Florida being able to meet their needs. I would be hard-pressed to believe that the Gators won't be able to land 2-3 of the names I mentioned above.
This post was edited on 6/5 6:56 AM by j wells

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News