ADVERTISEMENT

First Time “World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party” Visitors in Need of Advice

Nov 2, 2014
My buddy and I meet up once a year by going to a somewhat random college football game. We are from the Midwest (an Illinois and a Michigan fan) and are looking for some advice on what we need to see, where we should go, etc. We always love to see the insane tailgate scenes and the cool traditions we see at each game. Any help would be appreciated

Friday:
  • Any events or particular bars that we should head to on Friday afternoon and night? We fly in around 1pm and will be hungry and thirty!
  • Are there any street fests or outdoor hang out spots we should go the night before the game?
Gameday:
  • Where should we head to see the best tailgate setups?
  • Are there any "common area" tailgates that are open for anyone to join (we won't have a car for our own tailgate but we always bring our own beer...haha!)?
  • Are there any traditions that we should be sure to see?

We are looking forward to a great experience in Jacksonville! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
The landing is closed. I don’t know if vendors will be set up for the game

My buddy and I meet up once a year by going to a somewhat random college football game. We are from the Midwest (an Illinois and a Michigan fan) and are looking for some advice on what we need to see, where we should go, etc. We always love to see the insane tailgate scenes and the cool traditions we see at each game. Any help would be appreciated

Friday:
  • Any events or particular bars that we should head to on Friday afternoon and night? We fly in around 1pm and will be hungry and thirty!
  • Are there any street fests or outdoor hang out spots we should go the night before the game?
Gameday:
  • Where should we head to see the best tailgate setups?
  • Are there any "common area" tailgates that are open for anyone to join (we won't have a car for our own tailgate but we always bring our own beer...haha!)?
  • Are there any traditions that we should be sure to see?

We are looking forward to a great experience in Jacksonville! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I fly down to the game every year no matter where I am living and I have lived in six states. It is a GREAT game and great atmosphere. Jacksonville is kind of a dump as a city. The Landing used to be a great place but the last several years have gone down and now is closed and being demolished. If you can stay at one of the local beaches do that...they are very close. I love Amelia Island but it is not exactly a party beach.

Walk around the stadium and you can enjoy the armosphere right around there. There is a section called "RV City" which is pretty amazing to see all the tailgaters, etc. The atmosphere right around the stadium is pretty electrifying. Most fans are fairly cordial but you'll have a few on each side that aren't so pleasant. Ha ha! I wouldn't wear Michigan or Illinois. You're just begging for snide remarks. Ha ha!

Once inside the game people become way less friendly. The vibe in the stadium is pretty electric and it is the reason that I always hope they keep the game in Jax. I am definitely in the minority on that as a Dawg fan.

Enjoy the game! This should be a good one!

Once inside the game people become way less friendly. The vibe in the stadium is pretty electric and it is the reason that I always hope they keep the game in Jax. I am definitely in the minority on that as a Dawg fan.

Enjoy the game! This should be a good one!

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Florida-Georgia game, which has been played in Jacksonville for 84 of the past 86 years, will remain in there through at least 2023 after the City of Jacksonville and the two schools reached an agreement this week.

The new agreement, which includes increased financial guarantees for both schools, will take affect for the 2020 game and extend to 2023 and has an option for both schools to extend two additional years, until 2025.

https://floridagators.com/news/2019...-extenstion-to-host-game-in-jacksonville.aspx

==========

A good read on the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party...
Saturday Down South calls it a 'Bucket List' event.

"I have news for the folks at Florida and Georgia. You can try and rename it. You can ask the game commentators and news people to please not refer to it as The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (WLOCP). You can go to whatever lengths you choose to try and change it. Fact is, you can’t. It is what it is and that is one of the greatest spectacles in all of college sports." -- A good read on the WLOCP.
"Reports estimate that more than 150,000 people show up to the event just to party."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-georgia-pregame-party/

PS
Any thanks from you should include a post event report next week.
I'll be looking for it here. o_O

Didn’t realize the Landing was closed.

Try to find EW’s house...he will give you mead.
If they haven't already, the Landing will be demolished. The last time I was in that area was the last time I worked at one of the banks in downtown Jax.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Florida-Georgia game, which has been played in Jacksonville for 84 of the past 86 years, will remain in there through at least 2023 after the City of Jacksonville and the two schools reached an agreement this week.

The new agreement, which includes increased financial guarantees for both schools, will take affect for the 2020 game and extend to 2023 and has an option for both schools to extend two additional years, until 2025.

https://floridagators.com/news/2019...-extenstion-to-host-game-in-jacksonville.aspx

==========

A good read on the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party...
Saturday Down South calls it a 'Bucket List' event.

"I have news for the folks at Florida and Georgia. You can try and rename it. You can ask the game commentators and news people to please not refer to it as The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (WLOCP). You can go to whatever lengths you choose to try and change it. Fact is, you can’t. It is what it is and that is one of the greatest spectacles in all of college sports." -- A good read on the WLOCP.
"Reports estimate that more than 150,000 people show up to the event just to party."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-georgia-pregame-party/

PS
Any thanks from you should include a post event report next week.
I'll be looking for it here. o_O
I came back after we lost to South Carolina and after we played like crap (offensively) against Kentucky. I'll be back win or lose against Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
The Jacksonville Landing was the site of some of the most debaucherous and deviant experiences of sadgator’s life.

In addition, sadgator and his posse’ also saved a man’s life at the Landing (no shit).

Really sad that it is being demolished...

Reactions: VZDawg
Didn’t realize the Landing was closed.

Try to find EW’s house...he will give you mead.
giphy.gif

I came back after we lost to South Carolina and after we played like crap (offensively) against Kentucky. I'll be back win or lose against Florida

Your offense wasn't crap against Kentucky, it's tough to O in a torrential downpour. And your defense wasn't all that. See aforementioned downpour, plus UK playing a WR at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT